Author Topic: How do I train my dog to find lost discs?  (Read 1228 times)

Corinna

How do I train my dog to find lost discs?
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
   Anyone know the answer to this one? I don't want him to retrieve the discs, just go over next to them and bark. I went to a dog forum and they said, "That's a blind retrieve without the retrieve." I read in Disc Golf World or that free magazine about a dog that would find discs. It must be true since it was printed. So I just need to figure out how to do it. Maybe I should get a puppy and train him since Max is 9 and I'd only get a few years use out of him. Maybe I could get him certified as a service dog while I'm at it so I could take him in the bar with me after the round.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How do I train my dog to find lost discs?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Dont know the answer, but bear in mind that you can not have an animal at a PDGA event as a player.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:53:59 AM »
Good luck with that Corinna, I have been trying to get my dog Zoe to stop chasing discs. Zoe doesn't retrieve them though, just slobbers all over them to let me know she found it first.

Most service dogs begin training at about 16-18 months of age, so a puppy may have a problem learning difficult tasks.

To train your dog I would first get the dogs favorite treat or toy. Walk the dog to the disc make it sit and speak and then give it the reward. It sometimes takes at least 50-60 reps, before it catches on.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
 It would help if your dog has a little natural retrieve in him or her I've had afew Beagles over the years that would retrieve the rabbit i shot for me.
  First get your scent on something like a glove and have the dog hold it while walking it then go with an old disc with your scent on it with a little practice even if the dog doesn't retrieve it will go to the disc just to check it out cause it has your scent on it. Just to find other disc's I'm not sure.

Corinna

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
I guess he doesn't really have a natural retrieve.

Jack, you already told me about the PDGA exclusion and you notice I didn't bring hime to WYco. However if he was a trained service dog and on a leash I don't think you could legally exclude him. Not that this is going to happen, but just for the sake of arguement.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »
Along with my "Speshul Wud Repelant" spray I have developed the "BigDog Disc Lokashun Solution"
It is mostly bacon grease,  er organic compounds, but I don't want to divulge my recipe.
Slims Speshul Products Divishun
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
I may be wrong, but the competition manual states, no animals. (period)  For competition you typically are not going to have people that need a service animal, you would need to have a caddy who would help you in those instances, thus the wording of the rule.....just for the sake of argument....
;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
I don't know about finding discs, but Mr. Gus, Tom's adorable little guy, does a great job of getting a frisbee that is larger than him and returning it. What kind of pup is Mr. Gus, Tom? Terrier?

I love watching Mr.Gus and proves how truly wonderful dogs are when it comes to brightening our day.  :)

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 09:15:52 AM »
I don't know about finding discs, but Mr. Gus, Tom's adorable little guy, does a great job of getting a frisbee that is larger than him and returning it. What kind of pup is Mr. Gus, Tom? Terrier?

I love watching Mr.Gus and proves how truly wonderful dogs are when it comes to brightening our day.  :)

I believe Gus said he is a "Yorkie" (Yorskhire Terrier).

~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »
I guess he doesn't really have a natural retrieve.

Jack, you already told me about the PDGA exclusion and you notice I didn't bring hime to WYco. However if he was a trained service dog and on a leash I don't think you could legally exclude him. Not that this is going to happen, but just for the sake of argument.

I'll argue the point that in a casual, local situation (i.e. league) I plan on bringing Hero occasionally. WOOF!

~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:38 AM »
not talking casual play, as long as your dog doesnt interfere, I am typically fine with it.  It becomes how well behaved your dog is.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »
http://www.k9man.com/service_dog_access.htm

sports facilities are included.  But, as fans, not participants.  Tough question, actually.  But, I don't think "finding a disc" is in the realm of "service dog".

;D
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!