Author Topic: New Player Disc Weight  (Read 1105 times)

JermWade

New Player Disc Weight
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
I am a new disc golfer (3 months) and i was lookin for some feedback on what weight i should throw.  i bought some discs but i think i bought too heavy.  i started throwing 2 #2 upshots that are 150 and 161 and i feel like i throw more consistent with the lighter discs.  i have asked a few people about weight and got mixed opinions

Sly

Re: New Player Disc Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
Throw whichever weight you can control the best. You will just have to throw some various weights (which it sounds like you have already done) to figure out what works for you.

Newer players who cannot generate the amount of speed that a top-level player can often find that the lighter discs work better for them, but that is not always true. Dr. Rick Voakes throws 150 class discs, and he is a world champion.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »
Throw whichever weight you can control the best. You will just have to throw some various weights (which it sounds like you have already done) to figure out what works for you.

Newer players who cannot generate the amount of speed that a top-level player can often find that the lighter discs work better for them, but that is not always true. Dr. Rick Voakes throws 150 class discs, and he is a world champion.

I am a new disc golfer (3 months) and i was lookin for some feedback on what weight i should throw.  i bought some discs but i think i bought too heavy.  i started throwing 2 #2 upshots that are 150 and 161 and i feel like i throw more consistent with the lighter discs.  i have asked a few people about weight and got mixed opinions

Try mid-160s to 170g for your drivers and mid-range. You may like mid-range and putters a little heavier for a bit more control and less chance of running too far past the target.
~CD~
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 12:28:49 PM by CD »
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
Jeremy, throw whatever discs you're throwing well. I have seen you make some nice throws with your Valk! (That's the tie-dye one, right?)

JermWade

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:53 AM »
ur right mike i have made some good throws with the heavy discs (no my valkyrie is the orange/red one the eagle is the tie-dye) but i just feel more consistent with the light discs.