Author Topic: Throwin Wobblers  (Read 5096 times)

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Throwin Wobblers
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
I am not a long thrower (250) at best but trying to throw longer the disc gets a bad case of the wobbles when leaving my hand to about 75ft. sometimes is short of 250. Any suggestions?
 Just had two toes whittled on so I am laid up and bored.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Throwin Wobblers
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »
make sure to keep your pull level across your chest and also to follow through on a consistent line.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 11:51:45 AM »
I often see players in that 250' mark throwing discs that are too stable for them.  The newer high speed drivers (Wraith, Rex, Surge and the like) all requrire a significant amount of velocity and spin to get them up to "cruising speed," which is the speed at which a driver flies straight without banking off to one side or another.  To make up for a lack of velocity, some players torque their shoulders over.  This creates an unlevel throw (as phisherman mentioned), which can create that wobble, and most importantly, a serious decrease in distance.  It's important to keep your disc line and shoulder line parallel.  Assuming you throw backhanded right handed, if your right shoulder is level with your left shoulder, then the disc should be thrown on a level plane.  If your right shoulder is higher than your left shoulder, the disc should be thrown on a low to high plane.  If your right shoulder is lower than your left shoulder, than the disc should be thrown on a high to low plane.  Also make sure you aren't rolling your wrist.  If your wrist is rotating clockwise when you're throwing, then it's rolling.  While this is desirable on some throws, you don't want to have it when your learning to throw.

Until you get that wobble out of your throw, stick with fairway drivers (speed 7 and below on the Innova scale) or midranges.  80% power, 100% technique.  You'll be amazed at how far those older school drivers can go.  They're very accurate and very forgiving.  Something like a dx leopard or dx cheetah would probably serve you well.  d cyclone or d XL if you want to go the discraft route.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
chris, i swear i've seen that exact post on discgolfreview.com about 5000 times.   ;D

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »
chris, i swear i've seen that exact post on discgolfreview.com about 5000 times.   ;D

No way.  :)

I think I've wrote that post on DGR about 2000 of those times. 

The site phisherman is referencing is a great source of information about throwing mechanics.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:57:10 PM by Furthur »

Sly

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »
The wobble could be caused by gripping too tight and not having a smooth transfer of momentum.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 04:18:19 PM by Sly »

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 10:56:01 AM »
Are you throwing backhand or forehand?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »
"wobble" is the disc equivalent of a Baseball knuckle ball. No or little spin.  Lack of sufficient spin relative to air speed for the disc design will most always result in wobble.  Two solutions; throw slower, which is no good if you're looking for greater distance or put more spin on the disc.  A little wrist action snap should do it.  Seek out CD. He is the master if you want to go extreme spin.

Well, thank you, thank you very much! You're no slouch yourself... Actually I don't put ANY spin on it, I just WILL it to go FAAARRR! My next sighting may very well be this Sunday at Pleasant Hill!
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 02:27:59 PM »
 Thanks to everbody who replied I see I need to practice a lot more when I get on my feet again about everything I am doing wrong has been mentioned especially dropping of the shoulders and gripping to tight the only thing I question is rolling of the wrist. Don't you want the wrist to roll? I do throw rightbackhand and speed of disc must be a factor cause my favorites are an Eagle and a Valkyre since been throwing a lot can't hardly throw a Shark with any accuracy any more.

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:58 PM »
Thanks to everbody who replied I see I need to practice a lot more when I get on my feet again about everything I am doing wrong has been mentioned especially dropping of the shoulders and gripping to tight the only thing I question is rolling of the wrist. Don't you want the wrist to roll? I do throw rightbackhand and speed of disc must be a factor cause my favorites are an Eagle and a Valkyre since been throwing a lot can't hardly throw a Shark with any accuracy any more.

Try to work everything from hyzer, since that is the power shot (and the default flight). Watching David Feldberg at The Memorial (and on DiscGolfTV.com) he, like, never "rolls" his wrist - everything is "from hyzer". I noted that her very seldom used a turnover shot, because the course played to his power (hyzer). But, NOT having a turnover when required, can hurt too.
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »

Sounds like a wrist rolling issue.  As Tracy said, this isn't good for the form.  I would imagine you're making up for the stability of your drivers by rolling your wrist, which is why you can't throw a Shark anymore, unless the shark is super light (150) or super super super beat up.

I think it's tough to learn how to snap with premium plastics.  If you're throwing a Champ or Star in either of those molds, then it requires good snap to get them to fly straight.  Otherwise, you've got to roll your wrist, lower your shoulders, or introduce some other form of torque to get the disc to stay straight.  Investing in a fairway driver in the low end plastic like an Innova Gazelle, Cheetah (little less stable than the gazelle, so it will take less snap to keep it straight), a Discraft XL or Cyclone, or Gateway Sabre might be benifical until you get some more form down. 

The best idea is optimally to put your drivers away and learn to throw the Shark 250 (pros can put these out in the 330'+ range), but switching to a fairway driver would work equally as well.

Keizer

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
I'm having similar problems with my long-range shots, and I think it may be due to rolling my wrist as well. Definitely need to pay more mind to that.

Also, it's weird how the different plastics can be a factor. I like to buy the Star and Champ discs because they don't gouge as easily, and here I thought I was doing myself a favor by investing in a more durable disc. Come to think of it, I do tend to throw well when practicing behind my house with my "junk" DX plastic. I get out on the course with my premium plastic, though, and my long throws go to sh1t. Maybe I need to give those DX discs another shot.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 09:10:25 PM »
I'm currently dealing tooling with my technique right now as well, and am using dx valkyries.  When I can throw these with 80% power and 100% technique, and crush them on big hyzer-flip S lines, I know my technique is sound.  I also work with dx teebirds, because they can be hyzer flipped and thrown super straight with minimal fade. 

dx discs teach you a lot about flight paths and line shaping.

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 09:24:56 PM »
Rolling the wrist and snapping from the wrist are completely different things.  Rolling the wrist (which is really more a rotation of the forearm at the elbow) is not good for a general throwing motion.  Snapping the wrist increases disc rotation out of the hand (imagine whip snapping a towel). I've seen Climo snapping a disc towel to stay warm while waiting at a tee.   Careful not to go overboard with snap at first. If you do, you'll find yourself loosing directional control.   Also don't be afraid of a strong grip.  Not white knuckled, but a firm grip while while still keeping the wrist, forearm and elbow relaxed works well. 

I see a lot of folks with their thumb TOO CLOSE to the rim. Whoop, there it goes! Grab ahold of that thing! Put your thumb on the plate - not the edge. Grip it and Rip it!
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

Mantis

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
I am currently looking to try a new disc other than my original CE Firebirds because they S too easliy now..  Any suggestions :)
Steve Dresser
816-914-9395
IN MEMORY OF MY FALLEN BROTHERS... THE MOST RECENT SGT. BRANTLEY THANK A SOLDIER SINCE YOU CAN PLAY DISC BECAUSE OF THEIR SACRIFICES