Author Topic: New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park  (Read 6285 times)

Fayded

New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »
Hey anybody have any news here on the course on Young Park?  I though it was suppose to be up for this summer, someone said they had a grant issue.  Let me know if you are looking for any volunteers to help..  :) Fayded

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
Hey anybody have any news here on the course on Young Park?  I though it was suppose to be up for this summer, someone said they had a grant issue.  Let me know if you are looking for any volunteers to help..  :) Fayded

Haven't heard anything, but have been there a couple times for picnics. I never investigated, but it looked like there was room. I found "Wilbur Young Park is a large, 40-acre park located in southern Blue Springs. The park is adjacent to Blue Springs South High School and is used often as part of the school's classes." Click on http://www.bluespringsgov.com/index.asp?nid=487 for more info and a map. I found the following by searching "disc" on same page.  LOOKS PROMISING!

City Council notes from Nov 5, 2007:
DISCUSSION – DISC GOLF PROJECT, YOUNG PARK
Roscoe Righter, Director of Parks & Recreation, David Brouse and Brandon Martin from the Blue Spring School District and Renew the Blue made a short Power Point presentation on the Disc Golf Course project for Wilbur Young Park. They were requesting approval to submit a grant application for federal funds of $49,500.00 to help with the project. The City will have to commit to the match of $60,000.00; however, $42,237.20 is labor already in the budget, therefore the City match would be $18,262.80. The regulation disc golf course would be able to host tournaments. Mr. Martin said the in-kind donation would be in the form of students providing some manual labor to install the park. Once completed, the city’s parks system would be responsible for repairs and upkeep.
The Council praised all of those involved with bringing the project to fruition, including the City, the Parks Department, Renew the Blue, the Blue springs School District, and the Greater Kansas City Disc Golf Course Association.
Eric Johnson, City Administrator, stated the project was not funded in the budget and that if the Resolution was approved and the grant received, a budget amendment would be sent to Council for approval for the City’s match.
ADOPT RESOLUTION
Councilman Quibell moved to adopt Resolution No. 117-2007 approving the submittal of an application for federal grant funds through the Land and Water
GRANT – DISC GOLF
Conservation Fund, Bureau of Outdoor Recreation. Motion seconded by Councilman Shaver and carried with the following votes:
Quibell – Aye
Reed – Aye
Fowler - Aye
Shaver – Aye
Stubblefield – Aye
Solon – Aye
MAYORAL COMMENTS
Mayor Steiner reminded everyone of the Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast to honor Vietnam veterans scheduled for Friday, November 9 at the Adams Pointe Conference Center at 6:30 a.m.

Of all things, the mayor's name is Steve Steiner, though that IS my brother's name, this is not my brother. I met him one time at my nephew's Eagle Scout ceremony.
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

davetv81

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 08:42:44 AM »
who is "Greater Kansas City Disc Golf Course Association." ??

kohjahk

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »
That's a good question.  I've never heard of that group.

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
That's a good question.  I've never heard of that group.

Methinks they didn't check their notes. We do need to find our member that was working with them.
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
I work with Brandon (Blue Springs School District)  and have consulted with him on the project. I have met with others on the project to give them some insight about the sport.  We have walked the land and put together some basic hole designs.  Nothing permanent, just something to show that we have a plan.  I would plan on playing other new courses like Lee's Summit or William Yates before you get your hopes up any time soon.  Young park is a long way away from installation.

John Theiss

kohjahk

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
So... Brandon runs the Greater Kansas City Disc Golf Course Association?  And CD should avoid William Yates, they might think he's a student trying to escape the public school system.  One of them truants!

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:52:46 PM »
So... Brandon runs the Greater Kansas City Disc Golf Course Association?  And CD should avoid William Yates, they might think he's a student trying to escape the public school system.  One of them truants!

That's funnier than my 55 in the wind at Swope last night. Maybe even funnier than the fact I went from Bag Tag #1 to #69 due to off-card challenges. Must...get...more...practice. Right.

Thanksfor the info John T.
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:10:20 PM »
No, funny is the score I shot at Pleasant Hill yesterday with groupies. We threw in the high numbers, some of us almost 20 strokes worse than a few weeks ago. Gotta love the wind!

Fayded

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 10:03:09 PM »
Where is the Lee's Summit course? is that Potterberg, I read some of the previous posts, could not tell if the park was up in running.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 06:34:42 AM »
the nw corner of legacy park.  t-pads are in but no pins yet.  but i'ma waitin

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 09:06:32 AM »
This is the first time I've ever heard of a course getting Tee Pads before Pins. 

Usually you want to wait on the tees in case you need to tweak some holes around a bit for various reasons that can come up.  You can always move pins, but its tough to move pads.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
DONT start with me Mike......URGH......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 03:35:21 PM »
actually mike makes a rather insightful statement. hope they don't run into problems...
Steven Disc Glover

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:48:05 PM »
I think its great the relationship you guys are forging with KC and surrounding cities.  Sounds like this will be another awesome course, which is very cool.

I actually don't know anything about it.  Who designed it, who is installing it, so on, so forth.  So take that comment just for what it was.  An observation that it is very rare to see pads before pins. 

Not sure what to think about your comment Jack.  Do you know more about the situation there?