Author Topic: New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park  (Read 6594 times)

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
I think its great the relationship you guys are forging with KC and surrounding cities.  Sounds like this will be another awesome course, which is very cool.

I actually don't know anything about it.  Who designed it, who is installing it, so on, so forth.  So take that comment just for what it was.  An observation that it is very rare to see pads before pins. 

Not sure what to think about your comment Jack.  Do you know more about the situation there?

The city there is basically doing all of the design and installation themselves.  They started pouring tee pads during the dead of winter....several weeks before the baskets were to be put in (and I'm not 100% sure they've even been ordered yet).  Not sure why they were in such a hurry, but my guess is they had other concrete projects in the park and it was easier to get concrete then or something.  I don't know the whole story.  It'll be a nice course, though.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »
I had a guy at work asking me if I knew there was a course out there. Him and his son are playing out there supposedly.
How much of it is completed?
Steven Disc Glover

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
There is a course at Franklin Lucy Elem. School. It is only a 9 hole course and most holes are only 150 ft. The only other course is at William Yates and it's 18 holes.

Now Blue Springs is putting in a full course but its not done yet.
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26:05 AM »
have you played at lucy franklin?

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 11:45:02 AM »
I play Lucy Franklin a few times a week for practice on my up shots.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 12:24:03 PM »
Keep in mind that William Yates Elementary is in the Blue Springs SCHOOL DISTRICT but actually located in INDEPENDENCE.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »
What about Wilbur Young Park?
Fill me in.
Steven Disc Glover

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 11:21:21 AM »
Wilbur Young is were the new 18 hole course will be. But to my knowledge this is not in the ground yet. I went by last week and the pads have been poured but no baskets. The parks dept was still leveling ground etc.

John Theiss may know more info.........
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 12:42:41 PM by bbman »

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Disc Golf Course in Blue Springs? Young Park- and Sign question?
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 12:10:31 PM »
this is just my opinion, but i do not see it opening up until later in the Fall.  they are doing lots of dirt work right now.  they want the land to be super smooth and easy to mow and manage.  Sometime in the near future, they are going to start discing up the land trying to knock out the established ivy which is super thick and in your face nasty.  i am not sure about how  long that process will take place, but i do not see them reseeding until mid to late August, which is actually one of the best times to seed.   I envision them not wanting folks out there tromping around on grass that is trying to take hold.  it is better to get the project right and be patient. the course will have some really unique holes to KC.  i am working on getting an island hole approved that could be shared by two holes.  however, it has one really nasty risk reward water hole and  two other decent water holes in addition two tight technical shots.   you cant go wrong with two tee pads per hole.  That course will get plenty of play in due time.  Baskets have not been ordered yet, nor have signs.  i will be meeting with them soon about signs. ANYONE got sign recommendations?  i would like to know if what signs folks like that range from low to high in cost.  I would like to give the city plenty of options to free up money for benches and other ammenities.

Thanks,
John

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
I'd suggest Tracy and Dick for the signs especially since it will be after the worlds.  They can probably do it relatively inexpensive.....(they'd have to quote you a price, but I bet an 18 hole course can be done for about a $1000 with the ability to alter and update signs easily with minimal cost, sponsors, etc....)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
i guess i need to get out and play and see what they have come up with jack.  i know they will want something that is kid/vandal proof.  Is the sign that Dick and Tracy consructed heavy duty and going to last for  the long haul?  i am assuming so, if it is $1000 for 18 which puts them at over $500 dollars a sign.  i have looked at Houck design but not requested a bid. that is really all could find in my very brief search.   they also want to get a rules sign.  Any decent rule signs out there that folks have seen and think are pretty cool?  The pe teacher at Lucy Franklin had his rules sign made and it looks pretty good.  i believe they are trying to budget for some sort of kiosk and maybe a shelter.  Shelter is a big maybe, but if we can save money here and there, we might be able to budget for more ammenities like benches which has been mentioned in passing. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
John,

Lets take it off line, and send you back to math school......$1000/18=$55.5555555555555555555556
 ;D

We can alter the signage possibly to make it more vandal deterrent.  As for the Rules Sign, I know we have verbiage to make ti work, but it would require a KIOSK, and probably having them build that, with a map and rules on one side, and then notifications and information that is easily manipulated on the other would probably be a good thing to discuss.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
yaa, not paying so much attention there.  i suppose this summer school thing is starting to wear on me.  got to earn the extra bucks to pay for my wedding this summer.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 12:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the info John.
You've been doing some great things.
Steven Disc Glover