Author Topic: I miss Cliff Drive.......  (Read 1740 times)

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
I miss Cliff Drive.......
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
I sure miss playing Cliff Drive. I know that Monday league didn't ever bring a lot of people, though. I know the Mighty Mo is coming up soon, so it will get some play time. It is such a great course, but it is always a little unsettling to go out there by myself or with just one other person. Sadly, I don't really get to come out on Saturdays, because there is normally a tournament. I bet doubles there is a lot of fun!
Has anyone played Cliff much this year? Such an amazing course.....maybe Ams will get to play it during the Wide Open.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: I miss Cliff Drive.......
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 12:52:34 PM »
I have played Cliff Drive this year, and will probably play it sometime this weekend.  I think it's my favorite public course in town.

As for the WO...no one is playing Cliff Drive.  Am men are playing WyCo, Olathe, WW, Rosedale, and Blue Valley.  All other am are playing Swope instead of Blue Valley.

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 06:59:32 PM »
I play Cliff solo all the time. Probably played a couple dozen rounds this year already. I work 2nd shift, so I'm usually out there late mornings or early afternoons when it's not so "unsettling". (Born and raised in Detroit-- there's not much I find to be unsettling. ;D)

Cliff is definitely my favorite course in town!

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »
I sure miss playing Cliff Drive. I know that Monday league didn't ever bring a lot of people, though. I know the Mighty Mo is coming up soon, so it will get some play time. It is such a great course, but it is always a little unsettling to go out there by myself or with just one other person. Sadly, I don't really get to come out on Saturdays, because there is normally a tournament. I bet doubles there is a lot of fun!
Has anyone played Cliff much this year? Such an amazing course.....maybe Ams will get to play it during the Wide Open.

You have got to be absolutely out of your mind trying that. I suggest trying an early morning round if you try that but its still risky. Cruise the park a little before playing to check things out.
Please take the time to have several people with you if possible.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:11:59 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 05:37:13 PM »
I played about 20 times there over the winter. I do agree that it too is my favorite course in town...not for any big reason. (I love them all) It is just nice not to have group crawing up your butt...a nice medium to slow pace to enjoy the holes and the scenery.

On a seperate but related note, I would like to help with the T-pad installation. Any one got any ideas when that starts?

Dan
816-506-2267
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 07:27:02 PM »
Not sure about tee pads. Waiting to hear from the city. They have a process they have to go through.

Bad things happen every where. Personally I haven't encountered any problems at the course in the past 5? years being out there. That doesn't mean that things of a not so nice nature haven't occurred there. I just haven't been a witness to it. I know that more then one car has been broken into at Swope and Rosie. On the note, I have however called the police out to Cliff Drive and Blue Valley, and their response time was rather quick. Less then 10 minutes.  Point being that anything can happen to any one at any time..........
Pay attention and Be aware of your surroundings....!

Mike Penney

Keizer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »
You have got to be absolutely out of your mind trying that. I suggest trying an early morning round if you try that but its still risky. Cruise the park a little before playing to check things out.
Please take the time to have several people with you if possible.

I get the reasons for your concern and all, but I think you're probably overreacting a bit. But I do agree that a female would be best off having at least one partner with her at places like Cliff and Blue Valley. I'm at Cliff at least three times a week, and I've never had a problem there whether it was playing disc golf or fishing (unsuccessfully) in the lake below #9 tee. There is a medical university near the park, and I've seen some of the female students (nice) jogging along Cliff Drive. The firefighters jog down there as well, and there are also several cyclists who use the road.
Everyone, especially females, should remain alert and guarded in any public setting. Just go about your business and try not to look like a lost tourist stumbling about the place. We've all seen the stories about female joggers being abducted/harmed on a jogging trail right smack in the middle of their quiet, peaceful, suburban utopia. Bad things can happen anywhere. During the day, though, I don't think there's much to worry about at all. Remember what Whodini said; "The freaks come out at night!" ;D

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't say it is completely dangerous to go there, but every time I have been there with just one person, random people drove by and yelled or threw things at my car. But, I have also met some very fine people there wondering around, learning to drive, or fellow disc golfers. I really hope I get to play there more this year, and I look so forward to any tournaments there. It is an amazing course and I am always keen on taking out-of-towners there.  :D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »
I get to play my first league there tomorrow!!

WOOHOOO
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »
I thought about coming up myself, Jack, but they have delayed our walk-out down at the plant. If we go on strike I will have plenty of time for DG and for helping out with course maintenance. .

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
just played Cliff this morning for the first time since last Summer?
I loved it!  The new front nine (no longer new, I know) is awesome
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »
I like the first 12 holes, and the last 3 holes... but I am hopeful to make some changes.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 09:47:27 PM »
I like the first 12 holes, and the last 3 holes... but I am hopeful to make some changes.....

like what?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

datfunkymonkey

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 09:01:06 PM »
well, i know for a fact he wants to have no. 13 IN the reservoir...don't you jack.