Author Topic: English Landing Park in Parkville going in soon!  (Read 2548 times)

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
English Landing Park in Parkville going in soon!
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:50 AM »
Just talked to Tom Barnard at Parkville P&R yesterday.  They have purchased 9 Mach III baskets, and are ready to install them, either Friday, or early next week, depending on the weather and a couple of other projects.  I'll let you know when it's completed.  It's going to be a short, recreational type course.  English Landing Park is a beautiful park that sits right on the Missouri River. If you've never been out there, now you'll have an extra reason to go!

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: English Landing Park in Parkville going in soon!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:01:50 AM »
I think I know this park.  Is it right off 9?  Maybe a mile or two before old downtown?

Les and I have commented about a certain little stretch of park being perfect for disc golf.

In any case, woo-hoo!  Just another excuse to stop at the Power Plant after a round for some delicious brew!

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:24 AM »
I think I know this park.  Is it right off 9?  Maybe a mile or two before old downtown?

Les and I have commented about a certain little stretch of park being perfect for disc golf.

In any case, woo-hoo!  Just another excuse to stop at the Power Plant after a round for some delicious brew!

Yeah, it's right off Highway 9, across the street from Park University.  The Power Plant microbrewery (and the rest of downtown Parkville) is walking distance from the park.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:31:48 AM »

Yeah, it's right off Highway 9, across the street from Park University.  The Power Plant microbrewery (and the rest of downtown Parkville) is walking distance from the park.

Chap

Rockin!
~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »

Chap

Sounds like Friday night at the pub then some night golf to me!

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »

Chap

When I lived in Parkville a few years ago, English Landing Park was off limits at night. I remember going to court one time to fight a traffic ticket and there were several young people in the courtroom to pay fines for being caught in the park at night. Perhaps things have changed since then, but I doubt it.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Chap

When I lived in Parkville a few years ago, English Landing Park was off limits at night. I remember going to court one time to fight a traffic ticket and there were several young people in the courtroom to pay fines for being caught in the park at night. Perhaps things have changed since then, but I doubt it.

Damnit!

aquavita

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »
I was recently by English Landing Park, taking my daughter to Gymboree, and noticed the baskets were up. I am new to the addiction of Disc Golf, getting my first discs earlier this year. Looking forward to a course close by to get some real practice and games in.

;D

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
I played this course today. Not a bad little course for what they were working with. Although mostly open, most holes had a least a tree or two for obstacles. Could be a problem if many people play there, a lot of people use the park for other activities, so I had to be cautious on a few throws. It was kind of odd that many of the tee's (just a piece of wood you throw from behind) where within a few feet of the previous basket. 

I am happy to have another place to throw disc north of the river.

Just f.y.i: the first tee is on the blacktop basketball court, just east of the farmers market. After that look for the plank of wood, not too hard to figure out.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »
i know this park well and know it is heavily used for various events but especially used heavily by people that walk the park. before i assess its feasabilty i may have to see the settings but consider this park like loose park. too heavily used by regular public to be feasabale but an assumption made before checking the layout.
Steven Disc Glover

Hesting

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:03:28 AM »
I just played Parkville this evening, it's a fun little course with some possibilities.  There are a lot of walkers on the paths, even at 9 at night, but most of the holes don't play into them that bad.
Anyway, since there is not much in the way of tournaments or events this weekend, unless you are going to worlds, I thought maybe some people might want to get together to play some WOLF or doubles out there this saturday the 9th. I am game for anytime, morning or night. 
I think it could be a good time. some 50 cent skins and maybe even a little SAFARI golf to add some extra holes.  Let me know if anybody is interested!
Joe

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:32:30 AM »
Dean and myself were just discussing what our golf plans for the weekend were.  I'll talk with him but that sounds fun...I'd vote morning....ish....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:44:08 AM »
I just played Parkville this evening, it's a fun little course with some possibilities.  There are a lot of walkers on the paths, even at 9 at night, but most of the holes don't play into them that bad.
Anyway, since there is not much in the way of tournaments or events this weekend, unless you are going to worlds, I thought maybe some people might want to get together to play some WOLF or doubles out there this saturday the 9th. I am game for anytime, morning or night. 
I think it could be a good time. some 50 cent skins and maybe even a little SAFARI golf to add some extra holes.  Let me know if anybody is interested!
Joe

Are you going to show up like you did at cliff drive work day? 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 07:47:14 AM »
 If you want to check out another new course, I've heard the course that went in in Atchinson is pretty good.
 On a side note, Atchinson is known as the most haunted town in Kansas.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:49 AM »
the atchison course is really fun and REALLY hilly.  the hills remind me a lot of WW.

if you make it up there, make sure to check out the extra 9 hole course that's way up on top of the hill.  you've gotta go way deep in the park to find it.