Author Topic: Teaching Younger Kids to Play?  (Read 1448 times)

Fayded

Teaching Younger Kids to Play?
« on: April 21, 2008, 07:00:55 AM »
Any suggestions on equipment for the younger kids out there, I've got a 5yr old I've been taking out for the last year, she has some good motion and loves to putt.  Any ideas, does innova, have a beginners pack or something like that?

Any ideas would be appreciated.. thanks..  ;D

dclabe

Re: Teaching Younger Kids to Play?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »
There's lightweight plastic available (115 - 135 gram) in drivers, approach disc, and putters.  The light plastic is a lot easier on their arms.  I know Rick has a variety of it at Discgolfworld.  John Theiss has the William Yates Tournaments and he also has the kids playing in gym class, so he would be a good person to talk to.   I would recommend a light Roc to start with versus a driver (they're easier to throw because they aren't as flat). 

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:12:50 AM »
I think the EDGE discs are a Polecat, Shark, and maybe a Leopard, which are all in that 120-135 gm range.  The Polecat and Shark are great for the younger players.

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:40:48 PM »
My 7-y/o son has a 148g Cobra midrange disc that he throws fairly well, and that's with half-hearted throws most of the time. (He's not quite "into" it like his dad is. ;D)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
when my daughter was 7 she used a 140g roc.
Steven Disc Glover

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »
Place or find a small obstacle (IE skinny tree, swingset, etc...)  between you and your youngster...and show them the hyzer and anhyzer routes both backhand and sidearm while playing catch.  Invent games!   

A Blowfly (or most any extra soft putter IE Omega SS, soft Rhyno) is an excellent teaching device - as it can be safely caught and behaves like a golf disc...as opposed to a frisbee.  If you've not ever thrown a Blowfly, you owe it to yourself (and kid) to get one.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!