Author Topic: Course Improvements  (Read 6643 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Course Improvements
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »
Please do contact the P&R directly.  Stopping in the office during business hours is probably best, if you can be civil and extremely polite, and ask if they have a mow schedule that would be great.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

VBadJuJu

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 04:58:10 PM »
Hi,

I am new to DG but play SMP about 3 times a week weather permitting, so I am very familiar with it.  On days I dont DG, I am out there on my bike, so I know a lot of the rangers, police etc. That said, with all this rain and WIND, I havent been out there in about a week.

The issue with mowing that I see is that it is a NON DGers idea of how a DG course needs to be mowed.  When they mow, which is whenever they mow the lawns in the park, they dont do wide enough swatch.  Initially they were just doing a 12 foot wide swatch.  I mentioned to them that this was too narrow, and the last time I was out there it was a 18 or so wide swatch.  That still isn't really wide enough, especially on the long/open holes, but they just don't know what the deal is.  I think that they think discs are just lobbed down the fairway 50 or 60 feet at a time with more precision than I generally see in players.

There are other holes such as #1 and #2 where the woods on either side are natural boundaries that you want to avoid.  I think they should mow from side to side rather than just do a path down the middle.  They should also mow most of the area where 6 and 7 now are.  The downhill holes, 12, 14, 16 could be wider too, but I am wilder on those holes.  The rest like 8-11 on top of the hill seem ok with the wider swatch - I just treat it like a hazard I want to stay out of.

Keep in mind they are new to what it takes to maintain it.  As an example, the last time they mowed, they didn't mow #11 and instead just went from basket 10 to 11.  With just little flags in the ground to mark the Tees and no experience mowing it is an understandable mistake. The guy on the mower cant find the Tees any easier than you can.  I was going to mention it to them if they miss it again on the next mowing.

PERSONALLY, I suspect it MAY be that in addition to not knowing how/where discs fly, they are mowing narrow corridors because thats what they provided for in the maintenance budget.  Again, they do not know what to expect and each additional 'pass' of the mower down the course is about 5+ miles.

They do listen to suggestions and cogent comments but scolding, lecturing or chastising them for being the 'wealthiest county' blah blah blah isnt going to influence anyone or get you any friends. A few weeks ago, just before they moved the 4th hole, I made 3 or 4 suggestions and within a week all but one was implemented.  One involved the kite fliers and rocket launchers that use the 9th fairway.  I think that will be somewhat of an ongoing problem - that part of the park has been used for that for YEARS before there was a course.  What they did do, was to mow another section further off to the left for the kites and rockets, and thats where they all moved.  They ARENT far enough out of the way, but they DID listen.  The problem is that there isnt anyone giving them practical guidance.

As for the ticks and mites, I hate that too.  But SMP isnt some little city park like Prairie Center where you play on the lawn, the DG course is in the midst of nature preserve. I doubt they are going to spray 5 Million square feet for bugs and poison ivy anytime soon.  I have found that when I use bug spray and stay out of the woods with my throws, ticks and mites arent a problem.  ;)

What REALLY needs to happen is for some DG types to take the initiative and put together a cogent, concise list of what is wrong and walk them thru things. For instance technically, 9 is unusable if there are any kiters or rocketeers there as thay are inbounds betwixt the Tee and basket.  I'd really hate to see that hole move, but it might have to, and it would be better now than when the Tees are in.  Presumably someone in the DG community helped or was involved with planning the course, and know the names of whom to contact, and can explain the issues and maybe even show him how/where discs go when you throw them.

My experience over the years has been that they are very responsive when they are aware of a issue or problem. 

HAGD

edit: Sorry, meant to post this in the "How can we..." thread.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:02:50 PM by VBadJuJu »

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:54 PM »
We are seeing substantial improvements in playability since the tall grasses covering the back 9 have been mowed.  The course is really living up to its potential now! The staff seemed to be very responsive to the influx of public opinion on maintenance needs, so hopefully the attention to continues to improve.

In order to further define tee areas we have added Tee markers (foot faults) for holes 1 through 10. We are awaiting more rebar from the parks to get the last 8 tees finished. 

After meeting with the park officials it was decided that the approved location for hole 10 could be moved further up the hill and to the west into previously unmowed area. Initially we did not want to add more mowing for the parks but it looks as if they are willing to accommodate this in order to avoid interference with Kite Flyers and Rocket Enthusiasts.

However this weekend the Rocket Enthusiasts just moved up the hill further and set up in the extended mowing area for the fairway, so We'll have to work with the parks in order to get the message out that their is room for all groups to coexist as long as we are aware of each other's needs. Over time I'm sure it will settle out.

We will still keep the longer placement as a longer alternate tee (among several planned) that can be played when the fairway is wide open.  The new primary pad will initially shorten the hole leading to easier 3s and birdable for big arms. this opens up more potential for future longer pin locations. The wind still is, and will be a primary factor for this hole.

There may be times when other patrons interfere with both placements, so just give people a shout and wave to let them know you are playing through. Many courses in the nations more crowded parks coexist amicable to other activities and we will do the same. The entire road along 9, 10, 11 is scheduled to be removed, but that date is unknown to us at the time.

The updated map is in the pinned Course Open thread http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=1633.0

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 07:43:27 PM »
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
SMP IS MOWED
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 12:18:03 PM »
I took a group of 17 co-workers out to SMP for a 'team building' event this morning. We played 9 thru 17 and they all really enjoed the game. Maybe created a few new local players eventually?

The parks guys were mowing #9, 10, 11 etc and the rest of the holes were not too long. Bu the time we left it looked like they were working theor way to the front 9?

Not to beat a dead horse....can't wait for tee pads out there!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

VBadJuJu

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
After meeting with the park officials it was decided that the approved location for hole 10 could be moved further up the hill and to the west into previously unmowed area. Initially we did not want to add more mowing for the parks but it looks as if they are willing to accommodate this in order to avoid interference with Kite Flyers and Rocket Enthusiasts.
I think you mean hole 9.

However this weekend the Rocket Enthusiasts just moved up the hill further and set up in the extended mowing area for the fairway, so We'll have to work with the parks in order to get the message out that their is room for all groups to coexist as long as we are aware of each other's needs.

They ALWAYS set up as far up the hill as they can so the rockets are less likely to land in the street or powerlines - they have to contend with wind too.  Plus the flatter part at the top is ideal for lawn chairs, work tables, sun awning, kids etc.  And obviously the spring time kite fliers will go as far up the hill as possible in order to grab the wind.

The new tee for 9 is so much closer to their launch area it puts them directly in the line of fire no matter where they set up (even without them moving up the hill).  When I first read the proposed change I pictured the tee moving down towards the road - AWAY from the rocketeer area - and this made sense because it puts kiters and rocketeers on much more on a tangent from the tee.  The major danger to them would be from a long, wild side arm throw, but with care you could get past them.  The side advantage to this is that it would allow some sort of tree, post, bush or other marker to be placed on the hill incline to make the hilltop OB.

We will still keep the longer placement as a longer alternate tee (among several planned) that can be played when the fairway is wide open.
I like the "alternate" (original) tee, mainly because I liked the long hole, but it is the new tee that cannot be played when the rocketeers are out.  One of the regular rocket people was out there the other evening.
            Tee --------->   Rockets
                                             ---> #9

Olorin

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 10:03:23 PM »
Hi,

I enjoyed playing SMP in Oct.  I noticed that hole 9 is different than the map shows.  Instead of the listed 519 ft it seems to be in the 300s.  Maybe ~330?  Does anyone have the current length of that hole?  I'm writing up my notes on the course and then I'll post a review of the course ad DG Course Review, so I'd appreciate any help you can give.