Author Topic: Charlie (the blind man) Bauersfeld  (Read 2809 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
Re: Charlie (the blind man) Bauersfeld
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »
Kevin has kindly posted the article that Ace Mason wrote for Disc Golf World after Charlie's stellar performance at the 2004 Pro-Am Worlds, where he cashed. 

http://www.kcfdc.org/docs/charleydgwarticle2004.pdf

I'll miss Charlie a lot, not only for his courage, competitive fire, and his commitment to keeping fit, but his wonderful sense of humor. I'll never forget the first time I talked to him when he called me about the 2001 Rosedale Amateur Championships. He asked me if I had a division for blind guys over 55. Although I thought I was being put on, I played it straight, saying that if he could find two more blind 55-year olds, I'd be glad to open the division. We talked a while, with him telling me how his game was progressing, that he was starting to get some 3s on holes. I still thought he was putting me on, but it turned out to be our first of many conversations about his game. And yes, that was his first tournament in October where he finished close to, but not at the bottom of the novice division. (He couldn't get those other 2 blind old guys to make the blind amateur grandmaster division!)

Charlie was probably one of the most competitive people I've ever known. I was directing the Wide Open which I believe was Charlie's first PDGA event. He played Pro Grandmasters along with Peter Shive and couple of others. This was his nephew Billy's debut as his  caddy (see the article). I remember talking to the group after the first round, commenting that they were playing quite a bit slower, and they needed to speed it up. I suggested that Billy should try to hustle more when giving Charlie distance and obstacle reports. (He would scramble up the fairway and then come back to advise.) Charlie was not pleased at all with my admonition, and the rest of the old guys were none too pleased with me either. However, Billy did hustle and they were in synch with the rest of the groups the rest of the way...and it was established that a nearly blind guy could play in major PDGA events.

I hadn't been keeping in touch with Charlie as much during the last year or longer, but we always had animated conversations about disc golf. He was always up to date on the national politics of the game, and had very strong opinions. Of course, as competitive and opinionated as he sometimes could be, he could take a put-down joke (and give as good as he got).

Charlie, who would have turned 63 in August, was only 3 years older than I. I think it was my own unresolved fear of dying that delayed my calling him after Annie let me know about his deteriorating condition less than 6 weeks ago. I feel real regret that I did take the opportunity to thank him for his inspiration and friendship, and to say good bye before now. Good bye dear friend.

I extend my condolences to his family and friends. I really believe his life in disc golf, albeit a brief one, made the game and all of us who knew him better.

Rick
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 09:59:42 AM by Rick Rothstein »
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
Thanks guys! Would it be possible for us to see the second page of the article?

Maybe we can get a couple dozen of us to go play Cali Doubles (at California Trails) after the visitation tomorrow evening?

~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »
Thanks guys! Would it be possible for us to see the second page of the article?

Maybe we can get a couple dozen of us to go play Cali Doubles (at California Trails) after the visitation tomorrow evening?

~CD~

The document has been updated with the remainder. It was all one page but due to a font problem some was cut off. It has been fixed.

I'm in for a Cali Double round to allow us time together to play the game Charlie loved and reminisce about him.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
Thinking back on the times I played with Charlie at Prairie Center Park I can honestly say I can't think of any disc golfer who threw a golf disc STRAIGHTER than him.  Drivers, midrange, putters, it didn't matter, he really was a remarkable disc golfer.  Whether seeing Charlie playing in the league or just out there playing, I will truly miss his presence at Prairie Center.  This is truly a very sad day for disc golf in Kansas City. 

princess rules

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:40 PM »
I just want to thank all the disc golfers that came out tonight to pay there respects to the blind man I hope I saw you all. It meant so much to me that he had such an affect on you. Becky (his wife) told me she was so impressed by how many of you showed. It was a great tribute to him. It says alot of the how tight the disc golfers are.

Caddy Annie

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 10:08:24 AM »
I too was proud to see so many disc golfers make it out to pay their respects to Charlie. He certainly had a lasting impact on disc golf in Kansas City and beyond and will truly be missed.

While others were being pelted by giant hailstones at Rosedale a hardy threesome braved the wind and lighting to play a memorial round in remembrance of Charlie at California Trails Middle School not far from the location of the visitation.

Mark Morales came out on top at +4 to keep his bag tag but Ed Gonzales sneaked past me by one stroke with a +6 to take my #158 bag tag leaving me stuck with #159...   ;D ;D ;D

We played a tricky 10th hole from #9 pin to #1 tee marker but the score on that particular hole is irrelevant... and quite large.

It was VERY windy and lightning coursed through the sky above us but none struck nearby and it stayed dry enough for us to get the full round in. Good times......

Evidence:
Mark Morales with the edge of the storm behind him:

Ed Gonzales with the storm raging to the East and North behind him - no he didn't make the putt.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org