Author Topic: X-Step Help!!!  (Read 1781 times)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
X-Step Help!!!
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Fellow disc golfers,

My X-Step is more of a W-Step...so I stopped stepping all together for the last month to see what a difference that made. Turns out my throws, just standing there, are 10-30 yards longer and a hellova lot straighter. It appears as if your hip direction has a major say so in the direction and velocity of the throw.

That being said, I see where my hips are on the really good throws and know I need to end up in the same place only with some kind of a run up.

Does anyone offer an X-Step demonstration? I cannot be the only one having issues and it is a very vital part of the throw. I would be most greatful and would bring all the beverage one could consume.

Dan #49 Weinert
816-506-2267
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
Re: X-Step Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:11:44 PM »
WOW...thought the beverage incentive would generate some interest. 9 views and no offers...

:'( :'(

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 02:17:55 PM »
I am the master of self help...good thing I guess.

Googled "X Step" and this was the first entry...SWEET!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCTin0OWkwo

::) ::) ::)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »
What that dude in the video said is pretty much I woulda said. There is a little more to it and I didn't like the fact that he lead off with his plant foot. I usually lead with my left foot then plant with my right which takes an extra step but works better for me. Also, he didn't focus on getting your back towards the target briefly as you come around and bringing the disc across your chest instead of out away from the body. That can generate extra power as well.

Either way all of this has to be done in concert to get consistent power combined with control. Practice is all I can suggest. I never do and I kinda suck. So I'm thinking there must be something to this practice thing. It seems to work for other people that consistently beat me.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
Thanks Kevin! My month of no foot work showed me where my hips/body needs to be pointed. For the last couple of days now I have been easing back into the X-step. I see I have gained power but at the cost of accuracy. I will keep at it until I can have both...hopefully!

Dan #84 Weinert

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »
For me, good throws are about good follow through.  I usually throw bad shots when I try to slow down at the end to guide the release.  Everything should stay smooth through the finish and the X-step helps with that.  I think its kinda like ball golf:  If you take a fast backswing, you'll be lucky to hit the ball.  If you take a slow backswing, you can make sure you can apply the explosive power you need right at the moment of the strike, which is the only time that matters.  Also like golf, a good shot will have a strong & smooth follow through.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:06:26 AM »
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/Staplesbubble/?action=view&current=9d84d01a.pbr

This is a guy off of DiscGolfReview forums that can aboutly kill it.  I'm pretty sure this shot is over the 420' mark with a champ teebird.  Anyway, he has a great step, reachback, and follow though, and you can see how the disc explodes out of his hand instead of just trickling out.

Keizer

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »
Bruce Lee was always relaxed until the moment of impact. I try to do the same until the moment I release the disc. The throws I make when I have that in mind are always better than the ones when I forget to make that mental note.

otter

• Pro Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
The gentleman speaking in the above posted video is Am Master Patrick Kitten from Lubbock, TX...a solid 942 rated player who can drive ~400'.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!