Author Topic: When is a beginner no longer considered a beginner?  (Read 1955 times)

jpenny44

When is a beginner no longer considered a beginner?
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
Hello,

I started playing in February and play 4-5 times a week.  I think that I have gotten considerablly better in the 4 months it has been since I started playing, and can typically shoot a +5 to a +7 out at WW, playing every hole as a 3.  I am going to go play the beginners league tonight for the first time (any league for that matter), but I just wondered if there were any thoughts on when a "beginner" has taken the next step, for lack of a better term?  At what point did the rest of you no longer consider yourself a beginner and started playing in higher leagues?  Was it time spent playing?  Certain score?  just curious.

JP

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: When is a beginner no longer considered a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
It kinda depends on the course.  For example, if Waterworks is in medium settings (some short holes, some long, most medium), I would say to cash in Open you'd need a score in the 48-50 range.  The 50's normally cash in the amateur division there. 

As you begin going to leagues, you'll discover what you have to shoot to cash in a particular division.

On moving up:  If you begin winning the amateur division all the time, or if you win when you played poorly, it's time to move up.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 04:35:10 PM »
the beginner's league is a lot of fun and will help you get your feet wet as it pertains to playing in a competitive situation.

some people do well, some people don't do so well when it comes time to actually record the scores for posterity. 

however, if you're shooting high 50's - low 60's at WW, those scores are pretty darn good.  if you can repeat those scores at leagues, you will compete in the amateur divisions and you'll get to meet a lot of cool and like-minded golf addicts such as yourself. 

i even have a favorite new players league memory: i came to the 18th hole at +1 for the round.  #18 that day was set on the 2nd pin, middle of the tennis courts.  my only thought was to get through the first tree gap and not flip the disc over.  nice low teebird off the tee out into the field for a 120+ foot upshot for the safe up and down and what would've been my best round ever (league or casual).  lo and behold my hyzer upshot with a medium 175 wizard slammed the middle of the chains for an improbable deuce that i still haven't repeated.  to cap it all off, it would prove to be my 1st Bag Tag victory; i gained tag #40 from steve harris.   my 1st round of par or better!  not such a big deal, but man, can golf make you come back for more!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:43:36 PM by phisherman_77 »

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 02:57:06 PM »
Like i said in my earlier post...brian palmer is an F___IN sandbagger...he he.