Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 1487 times)

Mr.Bigg

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Disappointed
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »
Hey guys, I am new on here and not looking to step on any toes. But I was stoked to see a disc golf course just a mile or so from my new apartment. But with all the great KC courses I doubt I will be coming back to shawnee mission.

I played about 13 holes before I got tired of it and went home. In those 13 I only had a few errant throws, but spent probably an hour and a half looking. I lost 1 driver, got 3 ticks and waded through poison ivy and belly high grass. What really bothered me is that the course wasn't all that technical, but a gust of wind (which were frequent) would send you into impassible marshland.

I know its a new course, and I am sure you guys are working hard on it. But I'd be more wary about opening it up to the public. If I brought a new person to this course for his/her first round, I doubt she would want to play after a few holes.

Keizer

Re: Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »
The conditions at SMP have been addressed here, and I'm sure a remedy is in the works. I've not been out to SMP yet because I've heard about the poison ivy and ticks and those are two things I tend to avoid if possible. Like you said, it is a new park and there are people working hard to make it into what we'd all like to see it become.

Since you mentioned that SMP is in close proximity to your apartment, you might keep tabs on the boards here for word of a scheduled course maintenance work day. An extra pair of hands will only help get that course into tip-top shape that much sooner. ;)

Big Sky

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
The conditions of the fairways, ivy, ticks, etc... will get better over time. The thing that keeps me from playing at SMP is the redundancy of the last 10 holes. Up and down, up and down, up and down... Of course, I am sure the layout will change over time, and will only get better.

It is very nice to have a course at a park which contains many fond memories of hanging out in high school, asking a girlfriend out on the tour, blah blah blah.

We need to continue to give as much support as possible to the course coordinator, the P&R, the club, etc... Be patient and it will all come together. Deferred gratification....

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:25 PM »
Please see SM Improvements to come thread.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

max hilgers

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
I AGREE WITH BIG SKY ON THE UP AN DOWN THING ,BEING VERY REPETITIVE, MAYBE ACROSS THE HILL SOME OF THE TIME.

DistortedGamer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 12:51:08 PM »
I only played there once when my brother came in town to visit, and we all got about 8 ticks each!!! Walked under a tree with a HUGE snake only inches from my face. Found a baby deer chillin in the bushes next to a tee, and found a tunnel spider!!

What a weird day! I sure hate ticks though. Since then I have kept a bottle of tick spray with me whenever I play.