Author Topic: Cliff Drive-Bringing back Monday Night League!  (Read 1016 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Cliff Drive-Bringing back Monday Night League!
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
Starting June 23rd (everyone say happy birthday to Marley for me (you can say it in your head as well!), and Susan Taylor, and Savannah Hartness) Leagues will once again resume on Monday Nights. Blue Valley will still have a league on the First Saturday of the Month.

League fees for standard mini's apply.  $5 league, $1 ace fund, $1 discount to current KCFDC members.

League will begin at 6:00, with last entries being accepted no later than 5:50.  If you are running late, please call my cell phone 913.485.5123 to confirm a spot.

With this endeavor the hope is to continue to see more play at Cliff Drive, and work on getting Tee pads within the next 2 months.  I will be tearing out the weeds and honeysuckle to "clean the course" primarily from 1-10.  I will be moving #10 to the long placement, and will be adding an additional hole on #15 (shorter behind BIG tree to South).

Unfortunately I have to work this Saturday and attend a B-day party on Sunday, but plan on working out at the course over the weekend of the 28th.

Watch for more exciting information to follow. 

Ace Fund is currently $475, with 1/2 going to the player that hits it after club dues are paid for a year.

Looking forward to bringing back Monday night leagues to the center of the city.

Tell one, tell all, it will be great!!!!!
 ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

Re: Cliff Drive-Bringing back Monday Night League!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
I will be moving #10 to the long placement

#4 too, I hope! ;)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:05:20 PM »
I will try for sure.  I tried to move them all the week that I said I was going to, but the locks need to have graphite or loosening agents in them.  I hope to go out this weekend and spray those locks, look at which holes REALLY need a haircut, and start 1 by 1.  I want to start with #1, as the hillside needs to be cleared out. 

I did go and buy 5 sprayers so I want to play with a few people on Saturday and SPRAY the area for weeds this week, and then mow next.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »
Jack, has it been decided what is going to happen with the b-ball court area yet? If you're talking about maybe pouring pads in the next 2 months or so, there's got to be an idea of what the layout's going to be, right?

Sorry about the questions, but ever since I first heard rumors of a change in layout I've been dying to know what those changes might be. Just excited, I guess. 8)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
Jack, has it been decided what is going to happen with the b-ball court area yet? If you're talking about maybe pouring pads in the next 2 months or so, there's got to be an idea of what the layout's going to be, right?

Sorry about the questions, but ever since I first heard rumors of a change in layout I've been dying to know what those changes might be. Just excited, I guess. 8)

I think he's going to focus his attention to 1-12 and 16-18.  I'm sure cleaning up the front 9 and pouring those pads is going to take all Summer.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »
I doubt the changes take place this year, and I need to have the course erady for the Worlds, so I will probably go with what we have for right now.  This really creates the biggest issue of #1, and where to tee, and the alternate pins that I envision, with a practice basket on that side instead of using 10 short.

I need to gain much more community approval before I worry about the changes, but if I can get them, realistically, it will mean only changing 3 pads and 2 pins.

:(

Sorry that it can not be done yet, but this is already year 3 w/o pads.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
I hear ya on the community approval thing, and that's another issue in itself; Are folks in that neighborhood going to be cool with removing a b-ball court in favor of disc golf baskets? I'm referring to demographics, of course.

Anyway, I'll try to get out there and see about cleaning up a hole or two this week.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I hear ya on the community approval thing, and that's another issue in itself; Are folks in that neighborhood going to be cool with removing a b-ball court in favor of disc golf baskets? I'm referring to demographics, of course.

Anyway, I'll try to get out there and see about cleaning up a hole or two this week.

On a a nice day I have almost always noticed people playing b-ball at that court. Why is it that they want to remove it? It seems like it gets used a lot to me. Perhaps it needs expensive restoration work to make it safe or something?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 09:34:57 AM »
I have had this argument with the P&R, because I as well see that it gets used.  The issue is that at other times it truly is a hangout for inappropriate behavior patterns.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 10:33:17 AM »
If the city decides to pull the b-ball court out, I would suggest not putting
any disc golf activity in the area. Even though we (the disc golfers) did not suggest the b-ball court be removed, the disc golf activity will be viewed by the b-ball court patrons as the reason they don't have a nice b-ball court anymore.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:38:15 AM »
No, if the community, not the city wants it done, then it will happen in accordance with the plans put forward.  This is not a disc golf driven initiative, as a matter of fact, I am on record with the city asking them to repair the basketball courts in the past, because I felt as though that it was used appropriately.  Neighbors there have indicated though that it is not used as it should be most of the time, and the people in the power within the community would like to revist Kessler's design over there which would allow us the chance to use the area.

I will walk cautiously with regards to this.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"