Author Topic: H2 Open, A Celebration of Water Works, is July 19--Not A PDGA Event  (Read 2784 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: H2 Open, A Celebration of Water Works, is July 19--Not A PDGA Event
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
I think that the top 10 in INT should have all been playing ADV.....And Elliot Hicks should have been the winner in INT......

Whoa! Hold onto your hats folks....I actually AGREE with Jack on this one.

Especially seeing that intermediate was the largest division for the tourney....when are other people going to start stepping up and playing advanced?

BP....if you are not playing advanced come next spring I will be sadly disappointed.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »
my standing policy is that the minute my rating goes over 900 you will see me in advanced.

after the next ratings update, i think i'll be pretty close.

heck, you may get your wish earlier than spring gunboat.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »
Your rating will go up to 900 much quicker if you play with better people.  The people you play with keeps you at a low level.  Like for example.  I play with Jack all the time and I suck.   see.. :)  Actually his rating his higher than mine I think.  dam
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »
I think that the top 10 in INT should have all been playing ADV.....And Elliot Hicks should have been the winner in INT......

That's one perspective. Another is that the bottom half of the division should have been playing rec or novice. Who's kidding whom out here? The course for the second round had gobs of deuce opportunities (as in this weeny arm could get them): 1, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 16, 18. (And 17, 14 and 6 were there for longer arms.)  I think there are many people who might consider spending their time practicing on the course rather than trying to create a mythical perfect competitive system out here. Not saying the system doesn't need improving tho. Do y'all think that ratings are fairly accurate basis for creating divisions?

RR
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
rick@discgolfworld.com
www.discgolfworld.com

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 09:27:25 AM »
I can see that, I just think that based on the scores alone, the competition in ADV would have been much better if the top 10 would have played ADV.  I can also see the REC theory on there with regards to that though.

Ratings are ok.....but they have flaws, just as my game.

FWIW, I try to not play with Dick to improve my game! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
I think a lot of what is being called sandbagging is a result of the ratings division lines that were implemented in 2008.

Advanced fields were bigger last year because the cutoff for Adv was 915.  I also think that a lot of players that were rated 900+ were playing up in Adv, so that contributed to big turnouts.

But, when the ratings divisions shifted to Adv being 935 and up, a lot of those low 900's Advanced players that were pretty much always donating got the chance to come back to Intermediate and have some success.   I've brought this up on the PDGA boards before and the peanut gallery response is always the same, play where the PDGA says you should.  The competition committee felt that these splits were fair to everyone.  Couple that decision with the decision to let Pros that have accepted money play Advanced as long as their rating is low enough, and I'm starting to scratch my head and say "Wha happened?"

chi chi rodweez

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »
Stop justifying your sandbaggin BP.... did you and House scheme some plot to take over the int divsion? 

chi chi...aka tim becks

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »
THey do do that.  They take the worst out, after time and use it to get a more "true" reflection.

Your just mad because I am above you on the ratings locally now.

I am going to tell my friends that I am one of the top 25 in KC.. I guess tha you can say that as well though!! ::)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 04:01:22 PM »
Right, and I do that often...... Have you seen my local rating differences?  Over 230 points.   You really think that I tighten up this game during a PDGA event?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
Right, and I do that often...... Have you seen my local rating differences?  Over 230 points.   You really think that I tighten up this game during a PDGA event?

No, you pretty much choke.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
THey do do that.  They take the worst out, after time and use it to get a more "true" reflection.

I believe the current method is the PDGA takes out only rounds that are 100+ points lower than your current rating.   So you have to shoot approximately 10-11 strokes worse than your average score for one round.  *pplbbbb*  :)

The current PDGA ratings method is:

1. All ratings in events within a year of your most recent event played are considered when calculating your rating.

2. Any round that is either more than 2.5 standard deviations or over 100 points lower than your overall rating (whichever number is lower) are thrown out.

3. The last 25% of your rounds are double rated.
This helps more accurately rate players that are either improving or declining quickly.

The local ratings I do are currently just an average just an overall average of your round ratings.  *geek alert * I haven't written the algorithm in Excel that will calculate it the PDGA....it's a little more involved than I thought it was going to be, but that's what I'm planning on doing eventually.  I think I'm going to have to get it out of Excel and put it into an Access database to make it work more efficiently. *geek alert off *

FWIW, the USGA calculates handicaps by using the best 10 of your 20 most recent rounds.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.