Author Topic: Some basic signs have been installed Down Under  (Read 4583 times)

Keizer

Some basic signs have been installed Down Under
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »
My buddy Jeremy Wade and I put in some basic signs near the tee pads of DU today. They just say "ROSEDALE" and "DOWN UNDER" with the number of the hole. We mounted them kinda high as to deter graffiti and theft (they're aluminum signs). Anyway, hopefully it will be a little easier for newcomers to find holes. Need to get some directional signs next with arrows or whatnot...

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Some basic signs have been installed Down Under
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:37:01 PM »
Nice work guys.  It is good to hear that some folks are taking the initative to do some projects on their own.  I know that I can count on you two whenever i need some help at Yates. 

John Theiss

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
Good job!! Thanks  ;D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »
I saw those signs yesterday.  Very nice work; thanks.

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
My dream has come true!  Thank you so very much.  The signs look great!
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »
Hey Kiezer I was wondering if you had any more signs to add to the course for the alt tee pads.  I figure all we need is like and A and B on it.  anyway just a thought.  I think the signs are great and the idea of putting them high was very smart. 
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »
i did not realize how professional looking those signs were untill i played DU a couple weeks ago.  You all did a really nice job.  I would like to get a work day going for DU?  Is there anything being planned?

john theiss

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
i did not realize how professional looking those signs were untill i played DU a couple weeks ago.  You all did a really nice job.  I would like to get a work day going for DU?  Is there anything being planned?

john theiss

We're not having elections until the 11th.  I would imagine it would be up to the CC after then. 

Keizer

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »
Hey Kiezer I was wondering if you had any more signs to add to the course for the alt tee pads.  I figure all we need is like and A and B on it.  anyway just a thought.  I think the signs are great and the idea of putting them high was very smart. 

Man, I dunno. See, I had help with those signs from some guys at work. The tinsmith cut the metal and the painter printed the stickers. Though I'm very thankful to both guys, the tinsmith is a bit of a prick and I'm not sure I feel comfortable asking him for anything else.

Maybe I can ask the painter if he can print me some "A" and "B" stickers, and we can find something else to use as the sign backing. Glad you guys like the signs!

Keizer

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:16:14 PM »
BTW, I have not been to DU in a while, and not since the leaves fell off the trees. Are these signs fairly visible from afar? I mean, would a first-timer have any problem noticing them?

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »
Thats a tough call there.  I dunno.  Being someone who knows the course like myself I found them.  I think Hole 1 is pretty clear so at least people will be looking UP to find them.  Or assume they are up.  I think they are fine though.  Dont worry about askin the dude for me.  We can get vinyl As and Bs if need be. 
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:24:04 PM »
BTW, I have not been to DU in a while, and not since the leaves fell off the trees. Are these signs fairly visible from afar? I mean, would a first-timer have any problem noticing them?

What would be useful may be the use of directional arrows to get around the course for a 1st timer.  For example, the whole 9 to 10 transition can be kinda tricky (you may end up going to 12 instead).  I'm not saying it's hard to figure out, but a 1st time DU-er may get a bit confused.  I don't think you can see the tee sign for #12 from #11's pin, so an arrow may help.

Keizer

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »
  I don't think you can see the tee sign for #12 from #11's pin, so an arrow may help.

Yeah, hanging 12's sign was sort of a tough call. Notice it sits back a bit from the tee pad-- this is because we wanted people to see it as soon as possible when walking up the hill from 11. IMO, the transition from 11 to 12 is the most confusing on the course for a first-timer. The first time I played DU, I had no idea where to go from 11's pin. I had thought about placing a paving stone next to 11's pin with an arrow on it pointing to 12, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

On a side note, I have 2 rolls of 3M traction tape if anyone wants to do the stairs from 9 to 10 up top. (like skateboard tape, but uses an artificial non-skid material instead) If they can be of use anywhere else, that's fine too. It's hunting season and I don't have a lot of time for DG stuff right now, so just gimme a call if you want them and I'll drop them off at DGW.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Drop it off or if you have a Saturday free come out to league and drop it off with myself or FlimBlow or Jay.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Keizer

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
Alright, I'll drop them off in a plain-wrapped brown paper package with "DICK" written in big, fat, long, letters...