Author Topic: Course Re-configuration  (Read 3807 times)

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Course Re-configuration
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 03:46:27 PM »
It is funny how it is the good courses that get the most critique.

I think a courses with distance variety are great and pretty rare.  In addition to tweaking some holes shorter out there, you can make a few perhaps even longer and tricker to take them to a true par 4 or 5.

Shot variety is the other part that I think makes a great course.  It is true that those who throw the disc far are doing a lot of things right.  If a course is nothing but chuck it as far as you can on every hole, there isn't much shot variety.  Or much risk/reward.  You want to have holes that even make the big arms think about it.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 04:26:31 PM »
Well I'm glad you guys see it my way. 8)
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 10:05:10 AM »
City of fountains will be played on a different layout for the Worlds preview.  We will not run a tourney of that caliber without data.

Changes will bve made, and I will announce them.  Realizing that before BV went in, I had over 60 different hole configurations.  Of which maybe 3 holes are in the current design.

Some holes will be LONGER, like #9, will be much longer, probably another 250', and will try to bring in a few short technical shots, and 17-18 as it is now, will vanish, and be practice fodder probably for the worlds.

Flame away.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 11:29:41 AM »
i was thinking 9 needed to be a little bit longer.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
Blue Valley kicks ass AND rocks as is, 1 - play SAFE, 2 - be COURTEOUS, 3 - all  holes are PAR 3
espouse elucidation

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 01:05:44 PM »
Whoa!  We were doing pretty good with #1 & #2.

Thanks for looking out Jack!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
Basically there are items that many people are unaware of in regards to the land, and what plans there are in the future.  It is still in its infancy, people are attached to it, and by all means those that have spearheaded it from its early days need to be counseled with those that want to make some changes.

A Reconfiguration at the course is not really realistic, but some tweaking that would make the course more representative of challenges that players need can be done hopefully minimally and then also creating an even better venue.

No changes at this point will be in play until after I have a chance to work it out with others in the process.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 03:18:08 PM »
I played BV yesterday, and ended up doing rather well. (Lots of 4s-- that's good for me.) The course is freshly mowed and is playing great.

I was wondering if or when there are plans to finish the bridges. Not sure if that's going to be done on a planned workday, or if Dan is working on it, or what. If that's something that will be done on a workday, count me in, as that looks like a fun project.

Greenwood17921

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »
Well, I finally got to play Blue Valley for the first time last weekend.  It's tough to get away to play casual golf when you're just in town for the weekend for a family visit, but that's another story altogether.

Overall, I guess I give BV a 6.5 on a 1-10 scale.  I'm glad to hear that 17-18 are going away.  The last 4 holes left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.  I thought they were a bit stupid, not really fun, repetitive, long holes.  They don't really offer anything except length.  That alone doesn't necessarily make them good holes.  That being said, I don't think that the course is all bad for being long.  I like the course for what it is, champ length and all---drive with the need to land in a certain area, so you can drive again, maybe have a putt.  It's tough to break the mindset that every hole should be duecable to a certain extent, or at least by a top pro, but I've been working on it.  I like two/three shot holes, but I like them on disc golf courses when there are obstacles or something else to make them interesting (like hole 3 or 4).  Wide open 900 foot holes = not fun, IMO. 
There are several holes out there that I do like.  I thought 1-4 were awesome, although I think that the length on hole 2 should be tweaked just a little, so good shots get rewarded a little more.  Maybe someday I'll be able to throw 540 downhill, lol.

All in all, it's a good championship course that will definately separate the men from the boys.  I'll be very interested to see the changes, and the layout used for worlds next year, and even more interested after the fact to see the scoring statistics after all is said and done.  Good job to all that worked on this course.  I love the signs and tees, although I do not think that the tees were brushed enough.