Author Topic: disc advise  (Read 8164 times)

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
disc advise
« on: August 24, 2008, 02:42:07 PM »
Hey, beginner here.

I've been playing Rosedale a dozen or so times now, we live right by.  Started out playing the whole course with a single Leopard fairway driver, it was neon and easy to see, so....that's what I used.  I'm a tall male, med build, mid thirties, throw backhand and when I drive I have a tendency to throw up and right with a fade to the left, all the while intending to throw straight and level.  Putting's a whole other issue but what I'm wanting is to achieve that straight and level throw.

this morning I went out and bought a Surge 150 that has a ".5" on it.  I had read on Discraft website this ".5" number being better for beginners as the higher the number is more difficult to handle.  I liked it, It did seem to throw more level besides the occasional shank from just bad release.  Have I made a decent choice or could there be an even better option considering what I have mentioned?

I have also decided to finally look into a putter disc.  I bought a Rattler, says 175 to 176 underneath.  This disc handles very well to my putting throws from 30' and in.

So basically what other discs would you recommend for someone who is wanting to improve accuracy throughout the entire Rosedale course?  Any disc you consider essential, for my level, to a enjoyable game at Rosedale that I may be missing?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:59:38 PM by ernst »

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Re: disc advise
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »
For beginners, a lot of times people recommend Eagles and Valkries (sp?) for drivers.  The Eagle in particular seems to be a lot easier to learn to throw flat. Also you MIGHT want to start out with discs in the 160's for weight.

Also get a Roc or a Buzz to use as an approach disc.

Just my $.02
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:13 PM »
While newer drivers like the Surge will give you more distance temporarily, they don't really teach you the fundamentals of spin and angle control that you need in order to really work a disc on a particular line.  "Old School" discs like the Gazelle, Leopard, Cheetah, XL, Cyclone, and Sabre are slower discs that require more spin to throw in the 300' distance.  As a result, the miss with these discs tends to be a little left or right and short, instead of way left or right. 

Midrange discs like the Roc or Buzz are also very good for learning how to spin a disc.  I'm actually a proponent of learning how to throw one of these before picking up the driver, but slower fairway drivers feel more comfortable to people beginning get into the mechanics of a good throw.

How far can you throw that Rattler?

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:38:26 PM »
Many will tell you its the archer and not the arrow.

150g discs can be hard to control though.  They do give more of an understable "low speed straight" flight, but perhaps a more understable model like a sidewinder, or roadrunner in the 170g range would be a better choice.

The rattler is one of the slowest putters out there.  Might try an aviar or a challenger for a more versatile putter.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
Being a beginer myself I know what you saying about the Leopard going right for at WYCO friday night mine did the same thing. I use an Eagle a lot if I throw correctly it will go straight and predictably fade left. My second throw it usally always an Eagle.

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 08:49:18 PM »
For beginners, a lot of times people recommend Eagles and Valkries (sp?) for drivers.  The Eagle in particular seems to be a lot easier to learn to throw flat. Also you MIGHT want to start out with discs in the 160's for weight.

Also get a Roc or a Buzz to use as an approach disc.

Just my $.02

cool, I guess this very nice guy felt sorry seeing my wife and I this evening throwing crabapples up in the tree, trying to knock down that brand new surge that I got stuck up there hole 5.  He gave me a well used valkyrie out of his bag.  :D

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 08:54:40 PM »
twas not me but you will soon learn that for the most part, disc golfers are very generous/ So I'm not surprised. 

I forgot one - I learned a lot early on using an APX when playing Down Under! Used it as a putter for a long time as well. Beat one up enough and you can get it to turn hard right!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »

not sure, just got it today and I've been practicing more with the driver.  I just plopped the rattler to the pins all day from 20' or so, hovers nice and usually got within a few feet.

Mantis

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
Really what I would do is look for an original champion edition firebird.   They work great in all conditions but it takes some time to get used to....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though,   the ones i started throwing backhand were eagles and leopards... they are good starters.
Steve Dresser
816-914-9395
IN MEMORY OF MY FALLEN BROTHERS... THE MOST RECENT SGT. BRANTLEY THANK A SOLDIER SINCE YOU CAN PLAY DISC BECAUSE OF THEIR SACRIFICES

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 09:12:13 AM »

not sure, just got it today and I've been practicing more with the driver.  I just plopped the rattler to the pins all day from 20' or so, hovers nice and usually got within a few feet.

I was just curious because it can give others a better idea of how much snap you've got, and what discs to suggest.  If you've got a midrange or slower driver, how far can you throw that?

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »

I was just curious because it can give others a better idea of how much snap you've got, and what discs to suggest.  If you've got a midrange or slower driver, how far can you throw that?

Usually about 550' with a midrange!

;)

The best advice I could give a beginner is to stop reading what these guys are writing then get out and practice!!!

2-3 weeks of practice and you'll be whipping up on further.  :o
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 10:51:25 AM »
The best advice I could give a beginner is to stop reading what these guys are writing then get out and practice!!!

2-3 weeks of practice and you'll be whipping up on further.
.....wow, I would've thought that after a few days one would achieve that status!

BTW, I love APX, XL, and Valk's, another great mid range that doesn't get the love it deserves is the Aurora MS (QMS, SMS models will work).  I first started throwing those about 10 years ago now, and they don't leave my bag.  When I travel (not to play disc golf but always carry discs cuz you never know) I tend to take the following, CE Valkyrie, QMS, APX or Classic Roc.  I can play any course with these discs and play them well..... 

They don't make the first discs that I played with but after you find a disc that you play well with, buy many of them so you can replace them as they get stuck in trees, lost int he road, hit a tree and crack.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »
I'm fairly new at disc golf myself, and am probably the last one qualified to give advice, but...

I noticedthere were times where I would throw a particular disc well one day, and maybe not so well the next. It would frustrate me to the point where I was buying discs all the time, thinking I still hadn't found the right one. Well, it turned out that a lot of those discs I threw well but then didn't were just fine, and the reason for the poor throws was simply inconsistency on my part, either with my grip or my throwing motions. And that's the thing-- it takes a TON of practice to not only learn to throw a disc properly, but to do so on a consistent basis.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you don't want to try and throw the disc as hard as you can when you're first learning to throw a drive. I am guilty of that all the time, and those shots NEVER end up working out. Sometimes,when I'm in a more relaxed state of mind, I'm able to remind myself of what to do and what not to do before every drive. Instead of focusing on power and distance, I say things in my mind like "Relax. Stay smooth. Just keep it flat and straight." I almost always end up with better results when I do that! 8)

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »
Quote from: ernst on August 24, 2008, 08:57:16 PM

not sure, just got it today and I've been practicing more with the driver.  I just plopped the rattler to the pins all day from 20' or so, hovers nice and usually got within a few feet.

yeah, I don't throw too far.  basically, I watch some how-to vids on the net, go out and focus on the steps, and start overanalizing.  I'm still at the point where I'll get the occasional disc to actually soar 200 some... helps if I ease up on the little dance and just actually keep my shoulders level, reach back and throw.  I've also got big hands, I'm 6'4".  Gripping the disc is another thing I need to get comfortable with. 

these are all great posts, thanks so much.

ernst

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 11:32:29 AM »
I wanted to add a follow up question....  I typically buy everything local if possible before placing an online order.  Where can one buy these recommended discs locally besides the Oklahoma Joe's gas station?