Author Topic: Newbie to KC, Difficulty of courses?  (Read 2333 times)

BenHemp

Newbie to KC, Difficulty of courses?
« on: August 29, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »
Hey all,

I'm Ben, newish to the KC area and just started taking up disc golf again (played pretty regularly in high school, but didn't really have time in college.)
I'm a right-handed side arm thrower on drives, back hand for approach and putt.

I've been playing at Waterworks for the past few weeks, since it's close to work, just curious how it rated difficulty wise to the rest of the courses. currently shooting on average 59 at Waterworks.  I'm up at the Liberty area so it's pretty much a drive no matter where i go, Just Looking to get some opinions on difficulty/fun level of the various courses in KC :)

See you on the Course!

kchippie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie to KC, Difficulty of courses?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »
This is the way I would rank the courses I've played in the city.

Hardest to easiest

1. Blue Valley
2. Cliff Drive
3. Water Works
4. Rosedale Downunder
5. Rosedale Up Top
6. Swope
7. Wyco
8. Prairie Center
9. Shawnee Mission.

Now for a better ranking system

Favorite to least Favorite

1. Rosedale Up Top
2. Water Works
3. Cliff Drive
4. Blue Valley
5. Swope
6. Wyco
7. Prairie Center
8. Shawnee Mission
9. Rosedale Downunder

Remember these lists are for entertainment purposes only.  I'm sure that just about everyone of the club members have a different list setup.  Just remember to have fun.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my brand new disc the most.

gott1

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
hey there i trow righthanded side arm and ww is a fun course and it can be mean but if you want a real hard course. try blue vally thats not to far from ww  or wyco on these courses you better bring your driver. ;D rosedale,swope,olathe are a little less difficult but dont get me wrong they can be tuff if set up right. cliff drive is also a good course and not that far from ww and if you want short but sassy try rosedale down under. 59 is not bad for ww thats would probley put you in advanced in league play. all these courses have different ways to test your skill good luck

they all are difficult to me  :D
     LZ
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:29:49 PM by gott1 »
ELZA GOTT

LOCAL DISC GOLFER

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »
They all have their challenges, and it's interesting to see how other people perceive the courses as far as difficulty. Blue Valley is difficult because it's just a monster of a course. Cliff Drive's wooded holes are rough around the edges, and a couple of the open holes have enticing lines that can cause one to flirt with going OB. I don't have a real big arm, so I would rank WYCO among the more difficult courses in town.
I consider myself to be at a playing level somewhere between intermediate and advanced, and typically have my best rounds at Rosedale (up top), Swope, and Water Works when those courses are not completely stretched out.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
Then lets start another discussion.  One not to be really argued over but one just to post your own top ten list.  If you wanted to get real crazy you could take everyones answers and tablulate an average TOP TEN for kansas city.  Eh.  Probably a stupid idea but hey Ill do it.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 02:23:44 PM »
The courses up there in KC play drastically different from longest to easiest pin settings.  I don't know if tournaments really play "all long" pins or "all short".  Usually a mix is more fun.  That would be one unbiased way to rank their difficulty though: look up the SSA values from previous tournaments for each course.

I'm curious to know what is harder: Swope all long or Rosedale all long.  I would guess that when these courses are stretched out, they could be harder than Wyco or WW in any setting.  I think Rosedale is probably the most dramatic.  Easiest or hardest course (other than BV) of the bunch.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
Well I was focusing on just opinions on prefrence rather than difficulty.  Mainly because your right Hopper, With all the pin placements we have it is hard to say whats more difficult.  Rosey set just right is one of the best Championship style courses out there... In my opinion... 8) cus i'm kewl
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
In my opinion... 8) cus i'm kewl

You are not Kewl....give it up....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 07:55:30 PM »
but you are Jack..........

Jack rulz

lol.
Mike Penney

DistortedGamer

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
I think Water Works is pretty tough, but I haven't played  Blue Valley.

I like the Olathe park the most I think. And I really like the holes! 3 and 13 are really fun! It is close to my house and the park there is really clean and my kids like clean parks! haha

I think Rosedale is a lot of fun as well. Not as clean IMO, but most golfers don't go because of the clean playground.