Author Topic: YOUR TOP TEN FAVORITE KC COURSES!  (Read 6471 times)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
YOUR TOP TEN FAVORITE KC COURSES!
« on: August 29, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »
Ok so here we go.  This is my TOP TEN list of kansas city course.  Remember this is not to be debated and critized, just a way to see differences in opinion.  At some point if we get at least 10 people to input I'll average out the answers and round it off.  1 being the TOP of your list.

1. Cliff Drive (I believe this courses forces you to play every shot in every situation, A MUST PLAY)
    I know I know... CEMENT!
2. Water Works - I mean ... come on, its... WATER WORKS!
3. Rosedale UP TOP - When set in a challenging config, it can make or break a player!
4. BLUE VALLEY - Tough decision there
5. Rosedale DOWN UNDER - there is NO better league in my opinion than winters down under! 12:30 every
    Saturday after the DAYLIGHT SAVINGS switch.
6. WYCO
7. Prairie Center
8. Swope
9. Blue Valley 9 hole Junior course
10.Shawnee Mission
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Keizer

Re: YOUR TOP TEN FAVORITE KC COURSES!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
Sorry, mine's a Top 11:

1. Cliff Drive
2. Water Works
3. Swope (when it's not stretched out and the grass is cut)
4. William Yates Elementary
5. Rosedale Down Under
6. Rosedale
7. Blue Valley
8. WYCO
9. The junior 9 at BV
10. The toddler 9 at Lucy Franklin Elementary
11. Pleasant Hill
 ;) ;D

Big Sky

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
1.  Blue Valley
2.  WYCO
3.  Cliff Drive
4.  Down Under
5.  Waterworks
6.  Swope
7.  Rosedale
8.  Pleasant Hill
9.  William Yates
10. Blue Valley Junior

Honorable Mention:  Prairie Center, Ted's Dread (this is actually one of my all-time favorites, but it is private and needs lots of clearing)

Dishonorably Discharged:  SMP

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
I believe the baskets are gone from Ted's Dred so I don't know if it's a "COURSE" anymore.  But agreed on honorable mention!!  I amend that to my list.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:05:24 PM »
1 ) Cliff Drive
2 ) Water Works
3 ) WyCo
4 ) Blue Valley
5 ) Swope
6 ) Prarie Center
7 ) Rosedale
8 ) Downunder

These are all I've played in KC.

Ted's Dread...my fave course ever.  8)
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
Yeah, I should have stated that I have not played Prairie Center or Shawnee Mission. Any course that causes me to have to cross the line into that God-awful state of Kansas automatically gets points deducted, hence Rosedale's place on my list. ;D

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 07:13:04 PM »
I have to say, we are a lucky KC to have so many courses in our area. They all have their highlights, whether it be area, views, a special hole, or the whole course.

1). Cliff Drive
2). Rosedale
3). Blue Valley
4). Wyco
5). Waterworks
6). Prairie Center
7). Swope
8). Down Under

I do like William Yates a ton, Blue Valley Junior Course, Pleasant Hill, and, well, Shawnee Mission Park has a couple of really neat holes, especially #2. I stay away currently due to seed tick activity. Ted's goes without saying. I only had one chance to play it this year, and it was damn nice to play that course, even though it snowed on us. Yeah KC. Challenging. Aesthetically pleasing, and amazing courses.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:29:00 AM »
Wow Jack you should be proud of your course it is doing very well in the standings.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
waterworks - duh
down under
swope - this is still no wussy course.  with the wind and length it can be a real bear
rosey up top
pleasant hill - my home course now
william yates
cliff
prairie center
blue valley - too much for me but the tpads are close to my heart
blue valley jr

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 08:57:42 AM »
Yeah, I should have stated that I have not played Prairie Center or Shawnee Mission. Any course that causes me to have to cross the line into that God-awful state of Kansas automatically gets points deducted, hence Rosedale's place on my list. ;D

This is from Forbes this year:

In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family
It's qualities like these that landed Hamilton County atop Forbes' list. Ozaukee County, Wis., and Johnson County, Kan. came in second and third. All earn high marks for their low cost of living, reasonably priced homes and short commute times. They also offer terrific schools, one of the most important characteristics to consider when choosing a place to raise a family.

Of course, Missouri is a great place too if you like messed up school districts, crappy roads, and meth labs.

Now, my list:
1. Which ever park I happen to be in at the time. Every one is more fun than my office.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:44 AM »
This is from DICK this year:

In Depth: America's Best Places to Beat your Kid
It's funny that beating your kid behind close doors came in third behind Every Sunday after church and At the dinner table during evening Prayers.

..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

Keizer

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »
Sheesh, Tom, I was only kidding. No need to hurl a bunch of nasty facts and statistics at me! ;D :D

Loomis

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
1. Blue Valley - It's what separates us from the rest of the Disc Golf community. The added danger of being mugged or finding a body or medical waste makes it even more exciting. Valkyries lost - 1
2. Prairie Center - Most people hate it and can't play it well. It punishes you with its simplicity. I have never heard more b%tching over trees in all my life. This course shows us who the whiners are. Valkyries lost - 0
3. Wyco - I have never lost a disc here. I love the views, the lay-out and the solitude. A great course to pull a muscle trying to reach 13 or build a house and watch sunsets. Valkyries lost - 0
4. Waterworks - Hole 1 sucks you in with that impressive view and the challenging lay-out keeps you riveted. Valkyries lost - 1
5. Swope - Short or long, it too plays you for a fool. There's less whining here, but a lot of lessons are learned the hard way on this course. Valkyries lost - 0
6. Cliff Drive - I've only played it once, but it was a great course. Again: bodies, medical waste, mugging.... excellent! Valkyries lost - 1
7. Shawnee Mission - It's easy to get mad at the course for being too easy or too lame, and then have a bad round because you let your mind beat you. I like that you have to "play the ticks" for this course. No medical waste or bodies, but you do have to fight off kites, rockets and health nuts. Valkyries lost - 1
8. Rosedale (upper) - Bring your flippiest discs. It always feels good to play it well, more than any of the other courses. Valkyries lost - 3
9 Rosedale (lower) - Love the lay-out. Sadly, I can't afford all the Calomine lotion it takes to recover from playing it. Valkyries lost - 0
10. Pleasant hill. Again, I've only played it once, but it was a good time. This, sadly, falls to the bottom of the list purely based on the distance it takes to travel to it. Valkyries lost - 0
I have not played the other courses but I would like to.
Honorable mention: Depending on how you view the metro area, Jones Park in Emporia is pretty high on the list.

born2shimmer

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »
1.  Waterworks
2.  WyCo
3.  Rosedale
4.  William Yates
5.  Prairie Center
6.  Swope
7.  Pleasant Hill
8.  Cliff Drive
9.  Shawnee Mission
10. Waterworks (it was worth mentioning twice!)

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 12:22:52 AM »

This is from Forbes this year:

In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family
It's qualities like these that landed Hamilton County atop Forbes' list. Ozaukee County, Wis., and Johnson County, Kan. came in second and third. All earn high marks for their low cost of living, reasonably priced homes and short commute times. They also offer terrific schools, one of the most important characteristics to consider when choosing a place to raise a family.

Of course, Missouri is a great place too if you like messed up school districts, crappy roads, and meth labs.

Wow, spoken like a true person who doesn't know jack Sh*t about Missouri.  The Missouri highway system is the most extensive in the nation.  The State of Missouri maintains 32,340 miles of highway.  The State of Kansas only maintains 9600 miles of highway, despite the fact that Kansas is about 20% larger in area than Missouri.  That means there are a lot of paved roads in Missouri where Kansas might have dirt or gravel, if they have a road there at all.  Yeah, I-70 in Missouri sucks. But, Missouri has been able to maintain the massive highway system despite having lower taxes than Kansas and no toll roads.

The school districts in Missouri are just fine.  The North Kansas City, Blue Springs, Park Hill, Liberty, Lee's Summit, and Independence school districts are all well respected in the metro area, just as Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley, and Olathe are in Kansas.  If you want to bring up KCMO, I'll bring up KCK.

Yes, there are more meth lab arrests in Missouri per capita than in Kansas.  Of course, Missouri is being more aggressive than Kansas in shutting these extremely dangerous places down.  There were 32 meth lab busts in 2007 in Jackson, Platte, and Clay counties last year.  There were only 97 in the entire state of Kansas.

Oh, and by the way...my favorite 3 course right now are:

1. Water Works
2. Cliff Drive
3. Rosedale

Chap

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.