Author Topic: YOUR TOP TEN FAVORITE KC COURSES!  (Read 5830 times)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: YOUR TOP TEN FAVORITE KC COURSES!
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
Didn't want to.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 01:13:48 PM »
Most people have that DGCR mentality.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
So a bunch of new courses have been added since this was last looked at, and with Bird Father bringing up some issues of why this course over that course, instead of hijacking the MAC event, I thought I would resurrect the dead thread.

Personally, as the TD of the Wide Open it isn't about not using courses, it is about using courses that make sense.  The Olathe Lake course wasn't even on the radar when planning went in for the Wide Open so why would I consider using something that wasn't there?

Using Olathe doesn't make sense from a logistics standpoint when it comes to the Wide Open with the exception of using it in conjunction with SMP or WyCo.  Then though you are looking at driving distances that really detract from the venue.  I heard that as well as other concerns with Blue Springs last year.  So I made a decision to keep all the courses centrally located.

Does it suck for the hard working locals that do work on courses that aren't being used.  Sure it does.  Look at Cliff for example, it is looking pretty good, but won't get played.  Played Rosedale last night, and I hope it gets more work to clean it up as it looks pretty shaggy right now.

Personally when I travel to another location to play in a big tournament, I don't want to drive to the farthest ends of the city to play.  I want to play, not drive.  I drove to get there.  I take that approach in my decision as to why I chose the courses to play on.  Initially Cliff was targeted, but the prospect of losing holes during the event or beforehand, allowed Rosedale to come into the scenario.

I can't attest as to why people choose locations, but personally I chose for the Wide Open courses that I feel are the easiest to get to, require the least amount of travel, and present a good challenge for the players.

I am not running the Wide Open next year, so if you want a different course selection I suggest you work with the BoD at either helping with the team or step up and make it happen.  It takes an entire community to make the courses great in town for this event.  Also you need to have all the courses looking good as every course that is closed is going to send our local players to another course that will then give them a chance to see that course I heard about but never played before......

So your work though may not be where you want everyone to see it today, but give it time, and people will get out there, and enough clamoring will happen to make the course more populated.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
All I can say, is that I wish we had that problem here in Wichita.  :'( 

There are some good courses around here, once you figure out  that amost EVERY little town around Wichita has one.  Albeit, you may have to drive a minute to get to some of them, but, I just relate it to driving across town in KC.  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

spinachio

• Pro Poster
  • Jeff Ozorkiewicz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 02:39:27 PM »
1 Waterworks
2 Perry
3 Woodhenge
4 Big Blue Valley
5 Wilbur Youngle
  Cliff Dr
  PC

And a tie for most fun: Rosedale and Swope.

Olathe Lake will be top 5 in a couple years.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:47:22 PM by spinachio »
PDGA# 51376

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
For future consideration....

I understand the idea of wanting to keep the courses relatively close.
Also understand people's desire to showcase their local course and the work they do on it.

I also understand how some municipalities may or may not want to host large tournaments on their park properties and the politics that could get involved.

I also have heard rumblings that some touring pros don't like it when an established tournament keeps changing the courses year after year.  They want continuity.

I think what makes KC unique is the quantity and quality of the courses.  We don't have to be like the others always using the same 1 or 2 courses every year (Memorial, Steady Ed, etc.)

Maybe just a consideration....

Have one KCWO primarly East courses.  Young, Legacy, etc.

Next KCWO have primarily SW courses, PC, SMP, Olathe Lake.

Next KCWO have primarily north central courses, WW, WyCo, etc.

Far north courses,

etc.

Just a thought.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
Top 5:

1.  Water Works
2.  Blue Valley
3.  Cliff
4.  Woodhenge
5.  Wyco

Honorable mention (way more interesting conversation IMO)

-Swope
-Lakeside Hills (Lake Olathe) (Birdland)
-Legacy
-Pleasant Hill
-Blackthorn
-SMP (it's always peaceful, well kept, family friendly...my young one's love this course)

Most over-rated courses in KC:

lol, I wouldn't touch this subject with a 10 ft pole.  But, you know I'm looking at you...course that I think is WAY over-rated.

Loomis

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Pickard is a pretty good drive away from the other courses. So is fountain hills. Blue ribbon pines is well over an hour away from the nearest course. So long drives shouldn't stop anyone or affect tournament course selection. However, most NTs are one location tournaments: hambrick, beaver state, Great Lakes, masters cup, vibram and USDGC. Texas states used two courses in one location and one in another but relatively the same area. So the wide open has some room to maneuver when it comes to how it wants to shape itself. The pros are fifty fifty about more courses or not, I think most pros just want the best courses. Now, which TWO courses are the most competitive for PROs only? If the top players came into town do you think every course here would challenge them? I know that blue ribbon has to be modified to make it harder. So does milo, fountain hills, hambrick and Winthrop. The real issue is what do we have to offer that would make the wide open interesting to Pros?

Just putting that out there to see what everyone thinks.

coops

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »
Now, which TWO courses are the most competitive for PROs only?

Perry

Swope (some monstrous version that hardly resembles Swope)

joots

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
1. Water works. Not that DGCourse Review is official, but this course is consistently top 20 year after year. Also, my home course. So...
2. Blackthorn.  Seriously, it has a cemetery on its premise. Creepy, but kinda cool.
3. Swope.
4. Cliff Drive. With the terrain changes and woods early on, to the open air and (sometimes) huge gusts of wind that come outta the blue. Great city view as well
5. Down under
6. Woodhenge. The more I play this course, the more I love it.
7. Old pike. I just need to convince myself to join this club. Tuesday nights, random draw doubles, will have to suffice for now.
8. Wyco.
9. Prairie Center. I really dislike the new hole 13, but it's a challenge, and I can't let 1 hole blow an entire course. Oh, and the pond owns 2 of my discs. I suppose that's why PC isn't my #8.
10. Up top. The only reason it's this low is cuz of the infrequent mow schedule and how busy it gets on the weekend. Nobody's fault on the popularity, just sayin.

Haven't played Blue Valley, Birdland or PHill, but I've heard good things. Maybe next time.
Boom goes the Dynamite!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
Now, which TWO courses are the most competitive for PROs only?
[/quote]

I had toyed with the idea of Blue Valley and Swope Gold this year Loomis, Swope Gold Friday and Sunday only for the NT, but was met with concerns about not using WW and people irritated.

I like the thought of taking the top courses and giving them a toughening approach, though I loathe the notion year after year of "recreating" courses.  Would prefer to have course in play that makes it tough.

I hate going to Indianola but I have driven the event over and over.  Infact I go up for Dubs 69 up there.  So I will travel if it makes sense, and you give me time.  Though realistically, Pickard and Ewing are only 20 minutes apart, so that aligns with what I was saying about distances making sense.  Olathe/WyCo make sense, WyCo/Young doesn't.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2013, 11:24:46 AM »
Speaking of shaggy courses....look no further than Lakeside Hills.  Shaggy, swampy, tick infested......
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
Speaking of shaggy courses....look no further than Lakeside Hills.  Shaggy, swampy, tick infested......

Only if you don't play the fairways!!   ;D

I'm working on getting the DR out there for holes 10 & 11.  Other than those, holes 3,4 & 16 are bad if you miss the 70' wide fairways...
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

Only if you don't play the fairways!!   ;D

I'm working on getting the DR out there for holes 10 & 11.  Other than those, holes 3,4 & 16 are bad if you miss the 70' wide fairways...

Agree fully.  For this being the very initial season of play at Lakeside I feel it is in stellar condition.  It's honestly playing a little better than I expected this early in it's existence.  Olathe P&R is keeping it mowed real nice and the little tweaks that have been taking place over the last month or so have only made it better.  Now, if only we could get that freakin' practice basket back in it's rightful spot!!  Thieves are dumb >:(

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »
I think we need  to have 2 seperate polls. This one is worded "Top Ten FAVORITE Courses".  We  need another topic Your TOP TEN Most Challenging Courses.  I remember when we had 2 courses to choose from. Gas was 60 cents a gallon back then sonny! I'm sure I will get corrected on the price of gas in the late 80's early 90's.
Steven Disc Glover