Author Topic: Out of Bounds Question  (Read 3066 times)

ArchAngel

Out of Bounds Question
« on: July 15, 2005, 04:56:43 PM »
Are the areas in the middle of some of the fairways (e.g. 1,2,9,10,11) that contain taller uncut grasses bordered by those large rocks considered Out of Bounds?

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »
Yes they are considered by most as out of bounds. There used to be rope to define the line, but I think its gone.
Mike Penney

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 10:14:47 PM »
we dont p[lay them as OB in league, nor during the Wide Open this year.  So I would not consider it OB.
:P
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »
I think they are great to use as OB.  These ares are placed so that a player may wish to think about there shot selection a little more before throwing.  Natural hazards such as these are consistent and easy to define.  I don't know if someone put these rocks down for this purpose, but they did a great job!

tjringer

The SWOPE OB Controversy
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:18:45 PM »
Dan Cashen built those OB's and some like them and some don't.  I personally play them as OB all the time except at league, where Mark Stiles has decided they don't count this year.

The problem with them is that you can't find your disc and if you're in there looking for it you're usually assaulted by insect armies.  If they were merely mowed maybe more people would favor them.  

I suggest everyone counts them as OB because it makes it that much more of a challenge.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
They were put there to help the drainage issues, and the mowers were ruining the area.  THe lack of mowing is what should make them not OB, but raterh punishment by having to deal with the insect armies and such.  Over growth and tall grasses were/are planned to make it stand out, and harder to avoid, but not sure if that direction is still being followed.  It was to be an aestethic issue as well as a punishment.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dclabe

Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 03:05:30 PM »
I love this BS....we're the only club that promotes growing weeds to make our courses "better".  I would agree that the OB makes the course more difficult (and I would prefer to play them as OB), but it shouldn't be an eyesore too.

tjringer

Eyesore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 03:49:51 PM »
No.. I don't think eyesores make the courses better.  However, I think the OB's make the course better.  I'd love to see them manicured, or filled with something or another.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 02:05:37 PM »
ok, cashen creek and geauzinier gully are now officially ob until someone else decides different. now how dow we determine where the line is without the lovely yellow rope?

with the wide open, the work needing to be done on cliff drive and blue valley and all the tournies going on I haven't asked for anything more than the continued assistance from the handful of people who play and take care of swope. if you see something that needs improving by all means do it or run it by the club so we can ok it with the parks dept.

we can type about it or we can do it.

mrg
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

tjringer

Type about it or do it
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2005, 02:46:09 PM »
Type about it or do it.. type about it or do it.. hrmm..
Have you been outside lately?  It's friggin hot.  I'm just going to type about it for now.

Now, on the question of how do you determine how they are OB?  Well originally before the ropes, and then later when they were overgrown, (and I say overgrown because I'm pretty sure they are still there if you look hard enough), whether or not you were OB was determined by going from back edges to back edge of the rocks.  Pretty easy to tell if you were in or not.

We should put up signs in each of those land mark areas, "Geaunizer Gully" & "Cashen Creek".  They can say welcome to right above their names and then we can get a midget mime to stand there and take pictures with a polaroid that the club can sell for 100$ a piece, calling it a fund raiser.  It will be like the roller coaster pictures at worlds of fun!

Mike LaFontaine

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 08:05:59 AM »
Quote from: "geauzinier"
cashen creek and geauzinier gully...
mrg

How about 'Jingle Dells'?
In or out?
Founding Father of the Lee's Summit Disc Golf Association.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 01:18:32 PM »
Get some folks from the backwoods to patrol "Hill-billy Holler."

ArchAngel

Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 12:45:37 PM »
thanks for the help

bioatlas

fun as OB
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 12:43:27 PM »
My wife and I play recreasionally. We don't mind the overgrowth of the creeks. Yes, we don't want to go in to the insect army home to retrieve our disks but it makes it more of a challenge to go for the distance or shore up on the closer side for safety reasons. It makes it challenging.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Out of Bounds Question
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2005, 09:31:18 AM »
right on bioatlas! any of you with a bag full of discs and a pocket full of hope paying attention?
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing