Author Topic: Course Report  (Read 5055 times)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Report
« on: July 15, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
This is a way to turn chian mail into the 21st centry. Course coordinator's can post more then the occausional news letter reports, you can let people know how the course is set up (long, meduim, short), and anything worth reporting about the course can be posted on one thread
Mike Penney

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 04:54:22 PM »
Is there any reason that with it being in the high 90's last week that the course should be as long as it can get. For those who want and can throw a big arm you have a couple of courses that are just for you now. I think that all of the courses are long. If you want to get more people to play I don't think that this is the answer. Rosey is the most played course and I do not see the need that it should be set where you get heat exhation before you get in 4 holes.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:11 AM »
typically during the summer the courses go longer because there is enough daylight to play them long.  The courses need to move from time to time to help erosion issues as well.

I know at next week's league that they are playing a par 71 or something long, where you play like from 1-2 basket, then play the course in that style.  

I think that all other courses are just jealous of BV right now, and trying to mkale up for it!
:)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Justin Case

Course Report
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 08:30:56 AM »
I think that firerec has a good point. Now there are two and a half courses that are long (Blue Valley, WyCo, and the half being Cliff Drive) there really isn't any reason that Rosey should be set insanely long just to accomendate a few peoples egos. Since Rosey see's the most action (what does it get like some 20,000 rounds a year played on it) it should be set for the beginner and women especially during a heat wave. Sorry Jack but I think this is something that should be addressed. After all it is a public park and not everyone can throw a mile.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Course Report
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 09:19:37 AM »
You can't please all of the people all of the time so you might as well please some of the people some of the time. Right now the club is trying to please the loyal league players that enjoy seeing Rosedale play long on occasion. It won't be forever. I for one enjoyed playing it long last night. I got to play holes in positions I haven't seen in ages. That tells me right there that it hasn't been set long like this in a very long time. Would it make you feel better if I moved WyCo short for a few weeks?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dclabe

Course Report
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 10:03:50 AM »
Actually, most experienced players play all of the KC courses.  Everyone probably has their home course but we play them all.  So to take the attitude that the big arms have Wyco, Cliff Drive and Blue Valley is short sighted.  Cliff Drive and Blue Valley are still in their early development stages without teepads and are just starting to be used.  Wyco is really turning into a premier course but its probably the longest drive for most players so it doesn't get played as much as it should.  It would probably be fair to say that Rosedale, Waterworks, and Swope see 70 to 80% of the disc golf traffic in KC with Rosedale seeing the most use.  Thats why during the summer months these courses are set in more difficult configurations.  

If you prefer to play a short course then Olathe is pretty short (mainly because of restricted space) and Blue Valley has the Junior 9.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 10:23:09 AM »
eventually even the long arms figure out that two shorter throws can be better than one monster toss.
if you knew your history you wouldn't have to ask why it's such a long course. when we designed it over 20 years ago there was much negative feedback about the length and or difficulty of some of the holes. those that are still playing it today have brought their games up considerably as a result of the challenges of the mighty Hosedale.
it was great playing league last night, how many approach shots were thrown? thanks to dick for all he does to make it happen out there.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »
I've taken many trips to KC and regulary play Swope, Rosedale, and WW.  The last time I came up a couple months ago, all 3 were set up almost all short.  In general the courses have a good mix of long and short at any given time, however, I would say that they are "mostly" shortish throughout the year.  So a few weeks of all long isn't going to kill anyone, just make them learn a better upshot.

When I played at DeLaveage in Santa Cruz, there was a post of all the hole numbers and which pin locations were played each month.  That might seem a little overkill, but it shows players how the course is rotated fairly.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 04:40:50 PM »
At the risk of incurring the wrath of the CCs upon myself...

How about a post here as to the status of the courses?  If not in the forums specifically, on the website somewhere.  That way people can KNOW IN ADVANCE, if they care, know about it, and take the time to check, and there should be few complaints about length.

There are some people who only play one course, ever.  That's fine, but the settings do need to change for lots of reasons.  Just maybe, someone who finds Rosedale set all long will go to WW if it's short.

It would be great to have a rotation of sorts going.   Some way of knowing that Rosey will be set long the 3rd week of the month, short the 1st, mixed the other two...Swope long the 1st, short the 4th...whatever, but a pattern and a routine or at least something posted.  

Sure, the experienced players need to be challenged, but we also talk about encouraging new players as well.  Giving the newbie exposure to all the courses here can only help.

Frankly, I don't care how a course is set up, for the most part, as long as it's not 17 LONG at Rosedale.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Report
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 05:31:54 PM »
There it is, someone who understands what I was tring to get at....a report of how the courses are set before I drive all the way to the park to find out. Maybe I'm tried or hurt or whatever the case may be for not wanting to play a long course. I have a way to find out in advance. Steve nailed it right on the head.  :D I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. It was also the idea to get the CC's monthly report that should be in the seldom seen chain mail.
Mike Penney

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 11:39:29 PM »
17 long would be more accurately described as the original placement of number 17. do a little research about what plastic was available in 1985 to help put the "it's so long" argument in perspective. I only know of a couple deuces on that one, at one time cdsteiner was calling it a par 4 and was roundly chided for even thinking such blasphemous thoughts.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

tjringer

I don't get it...
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 07:05:13 AM »
I don't get it.. but okay.

There are way worse holes than 17 long.  At least 17 long at rosedale is open all the way.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Course Report
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 07:37:04 AM »
What don't you get?

We have all these placements at each courses, and then they don't get used?  I DON'T get that.  I agree that we should have a better way of identifying how the course is set.  If you really want to help out with that, please become a CC.

I would love to see a sign at each course letting people know that yes this is a PUBLIC park, but the PUBLIC does not take care of it.  A few dedicated people make things change here in KC, and by a few, i really do mean it.  With over 200 club members why do we still have the same people doing all the work?

As for the chainmail comment, I agree that more need to be out, I think that it should be bi-monthly, but again PEOPLE don't do it.  I am not going to do it, because I don't have time.  I will help where I can, and I have asked for it time and time again, but it doesn't get done.  I would rather see more disc golf courses and work being done on the courses than get a report bi-monthly, so to me it is a sacrafice that is worth it.

As for Rosey being long for awhile, there is ALWAYS the Down Under for short games, no one seem to mention that........if upstairs is too big for ya, head down the stairs, how great is that?

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tjringer

clarification...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 08:01:57 AM »
No, I meant where Penny posts that "I might be tired or hurt..."

If you're tired or hurt why would you be out playing anyways?  Shouldn't you be at home healing or resting.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Course Report
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 09:42:39 AM »
I think you guys missed it all together.....
The point is we have a great tool at our disposal called the internet (you are using it right now!), the chain mail doesn't have to come in the form of a piece of paper in my mail box at home. This is a place it can be put not only for those who are all ready club members but those who might be looking to join as well. As Jack has pointed out there are only a few people doing the work it takes to make disc golf happen in KC. Along with that only a few people have keys to the baskets, so when they (a key holder) move baskets it COULD be posted here. It would be nice when choosing a course to go play ( seeing how we have a few options now) to know in advance how the courses are set. I personally couldn't care less how any of the courses are set. I have what I consider the best course in KC (Blue Valley) 5 minutes from my house to go play. That and all the time I have put into Cliff Drive, I really don't feel the need to go to the other courses in town. At the same time I'm not always going to be 30, some day God willing I will be 60+ and won't be able to walk either of those courses, so hosedale would be my alternative as it is flat. I think it's pretty simple what I was trying to do. An online version of the old Chain Mail via the "Club's website". Stop thinking inside the box guys.

TJ, I'm sorry if you think that an injured or tired person should be at home, I actually do work on a course now and then, and do get worn out from it, but I am not going to let that stop me from playing disc golf!!!!!!
Mike Penney