Author Topic: Tournament question(s)  (Read 1213 times)

Jason

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Tournament question(s)
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:26:18 AM »
Hey all, was wondering if someone could explain what the 6-6-6 format means?  I was thinking about playing the WyCo Halloween tournament, but I don't really understand what the 6-6-6 means and the 1-6 worst shot, 7-12 Alternate, and 13-18 Best.   From what I was reading in the WyCo forum, it seems that someone like me (marginally decent) would screw it up for a random picked (and much better) player.  I don't want to get in it if I am going to bring someone down or screw their score up.  I've not played Wyco either, I hope to get out there this week, but have been told it's about twice as hard as Rosedale, which I am playing fairly well now.  I say that, I'm playing about a 12 to 14 over (par 3) on Rosedale, so I don't know that I am "competition ready."  Anyway, if someone could explain the tournament format, or point me to a reference, I'd appreciate it.
Go Easy,
Jason

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament question(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:53 AM »
6-6-6 means 6 holes of worst shot, 6 holes of best shot, 6 holes of alternate shot.

Worst shot = Both partners throw but they must throw from the worst one of the two.
Best Shot = Normal doubles play...both throw and take the best shot
Alternate shot = One player drives, then next person does upshot, then next putts....and so on..

The Halloween tourney at WyCo is mostly a fun event that is why I left entry at $5.  Most likely we won't be using worst shot, but I am throwing in a couple GHOST DOORS...so you can let those scare you!!  ;)

Depending on turnout we may try to do Am and Pro and have 2 divisions....the more people walk away with cash or prizes the better.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:40:03 AM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »
first, the halloween at WyCo event is not a "tournament" per say, it's just weekly league done with a twist.

you're not the first i've seen to question your skills, wondering whether you're "competition ready".  well, unless it's a PDGA sanctioned tournament, you really don't need to be competition ready; just be ready to have fun.  the weekly leagues are a blast, with good people to play golf with and learn from.

i will say though, that wyco is much more difficult than rosedale, mostly because of its length.  not many easy 2's out at wyco.

Andy will make sure it's fun for you, he can run a good show.  get out there and meet people, before you know it you'll be playing more leagues, meeting more people and having more fun.

Jason

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:48:35 PM »
Sounds like fun!  I'm gonna try to make it, am hoping I can get out to Wyco this week before Friday to play a round and see how I do.  I suspect with playing at night it's going to be that much more "fun"

Just lost two of my favorite drivers this morning at Rosedale - kinda bumming, now I have to get some new ones broke in!
Thanks,
Jason

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
6-6-6 means 6 holes of worst shot, 6 holes of best shot, 6 holes of alternate shot.

Worst shot = Both partners throw but they must throw from the worst one of the two.
Best Shot = Normal doubles play...both throw and take the best shot
Alternate shot = One player drives, then next person does upshot, then next putts....and so on..

The Halloween tourney at WyCo is mostly a fun event that is why I left entry at $5.  Most likely we won't be using worst shot, but I am throwing in a couple GHOST DOORS...so you can let those scare you!!  ;)

Depending on turnout we may try to do Am and Pro and have 2 divisions....the more people walk away with cash or prizes the better.

Instead of 2 divisions how about an Pro Am Doubles set up... Or A and B groups.  You can decide who is in what division..  That way you can keep your worst shot set up and give everyone a fair shot.  Similar to the way they do the league doubles.   I dont care either way just my $ 0.25.  <-- damn inflation!
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist