Author Topic: Rare and OOP discs...  (Read 2646 times)

3ECHO9

Rare and OOP discs...
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
I'm looking for an all inclusive list of discs that are considered rare and/or OOP.  I've done a lot of research on the internet, but don't really have a lot to work with.  I would also like to know what makes them rare so I know what to look for.  Im farely new to the game and dont have a good idea of what has changed over the years.  Any help/posts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rare and OOP discs...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
you'll probably never find a definitive list of "rare or OOP" discs.

start with CE plastic.  work from there.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:28:50 PM »

Speaking of CE discs...picked up a nice Leopard and a Eagle at a garage sale the other day for $3 each...heck of a deal I thought!!  Thanks Deano!!  ;)
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
I'd guess there are as many disc out of production that currently in production.  Kindof depends on what you call a disc.  There were a lot of frisbee style discs when disc golf first got started.

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

Speaking of CE discs...picked up a nice Leopard and a Eagle at a garage sale the other day for $3 each...heck of a deal I thought!!  Thanks Deano!!  ;)

Actually you got them for 2 natty lites and 3 old style beers.    I'm always happy to give sweet deals.    I have some more garage sale junk like CE valks?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 01:56:50 PM »
i can definitely hook up some beers for those CE valks!!  ;D

3ECHO9

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:47:19 PM »
How about some ideas, can someone list off just a few???  I need something to go off of or a webiste to help out.  Thanks.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 04:05:37 PM »
Innova kinda has the market cornered on collectible golf discs that have been produced in the past 20 years.

Any CE Discs
Any USDGC Roc (see http://www.ceroccollector.com)
Damn near most pre 11x KC stuff (even though 11x KC stuff is starting to go up in value)
3x JK Aviars
Original Ontario and San Marino Rocs.  Personally, I pay a premium for early run Ranchos.

As far as collectible Discraft stuff, Z Comets and RR Z Comets are probably fetch the most, with real 1st run buzzes right behind.

Gateway stuff is a mixed bag.  It's tough to find the really nice stuff, but if you have it, and know people that throw gateway, then they're worth something (like the Elements and Spirits made out of Discraft plastic, or any discs that are totally clear made out of urethane).

Then there's the whole pre-innova area, which I'm not so good with.  Night Flyers and such.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »
Are you looking for a list for valuation purposes to see what discs are worth the most or simply an idea of what discs are important from a historical perspective that are no longer available?

One thing a person can do to see what collectible discs are currently in high demand is to go to Ebay and sort all golf discs for sale by price with highest first. Here is a USDGC Roc that is going for well over $100 right now http://cgi.ebay.com/Disc-Golf-Frisbee-179g-2002-USDGC-Roc_W0QQitemZ320313514880QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320313514880&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A3|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.

This doesn't always mean the discs are worth as much as the beginning bid or buy-it-now price you see though. Only discs that are being bid on can be assumed to be in demand. Just like anything else, they are only worth what someone is willing to pay no matter what any sort of collectors list says.

There are several of my favorite discs I know of that consistently sell for $30 or more.

Innova - Griffin (discontinued in 1996)
Discraft - First Run Z Buzzz
Innova - 10x Cheetahs and most other 10x discs due to the fact they were the first to be made with what was to become CE plastic.
Innova - Special Edition Valkyries, Tee Birds and others. (SE Valk)
Innova - CFR (champion fund raiser) discs that are produced in limited quantity in a higher quality plastic like the 2002 CE Gazelle and the CFR Classic Roc (I forget what year that was but Jack is a collector of these).
Lightning - Any of the original issue "airplane" stamp discs such as the Spitfire and others. (reissues do exist and are marked as such)
Innova has a lot of early (80s) golf discs that you don't see up for sale much but can be considered collectible. Discs such as the Coupe and original Eagle fall in to that category.

Rare stamps can be collectible for their aesthetic value but don't necessarily hold much monetary value unless the disc itself is in demand. Tourney stamps from defunct tournaments and things of that nature can be cool to own as works of art or whatever but there's thousands of them floating around.

If you are talking strictly about golf discs there's a lot to consider as to whether something is collectible in my opinion.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:20 PM »
So 3echo9, are you a collector, a player, or both?

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 05:00:24 PM »

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »
Mint/unthrown collector discs will of course fetch more $$$.  Finding the buyer who will part with the most dinero is the challenge...thus E-Bay.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

3ECHO9

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
I am stationed at WAFB and don't get around to playing as much as i would like...but i've been playing since i was a kid and i just picked it up again.  I am just starting up my collection and have around 30-40 discs...some old and some newer...just need a place to start.  Like for instance, i just picked up a mint Piranha...i just remembered it from when i was a kid and couldn't help myself..i guess im both... : )

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »
Here's a good place to start.

I was trying to find a pic of an '01 Kangaroo Roc (There are 2 of them and the one on ebay that just sold went for over $1500), but I couldn't.

I think Kelly Watson from Arkansas (who has more CE that anyone I know) bought the '06 Clear USDGC Roc for a little under that.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
WTF (Where's that Frisbee) ??  Sh!t, if I only had $1500...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3
2013: 3, 40, 10, 148, 32, 19, 84, 184, 15, 1, 118
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."