Author Topic: Calling all Musicians & Artists  (Read 3042 times)

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Calling all Musicians & Artists
« on: November 01, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
I am a drummer, and I play around KC quite a bit. I was wondering how many other musicians there are out there in the disc golf scene. So, if you have a website / myspace / mp3 / guitar in your basement / what ever, post it here! Also, if you're going to be performing somewhere around the area, let me know, I'm always up for checking something new out.

I play for a couple of different projects, but here are some links:

http://www.myspace.com/abandcalledmouth - A new funk project, currently a 3 piece, but we are working on filling out the roster

http://www.myspace.com/doomsdayhiphop - A live hip hop backing band that plays behind a number of local MC's (we play live shows that are about 90% improv)

http://www.myspace.com/highnoone - This is my good buddies DJ page, we are working on a duet project, we should be on the scene in a month or two

And I am performing at a gallery opening this coming first First Friday with an all improv jungle / jazz / acid jazz group.

11-07-2008 at The Base Gallery
2016 Baltimore, Kansas City, Missouri
Cost: Free - 6pmish???

Not too sure on the time, but if anyone is interested in checking it out, should be really cool. www.joshuarizer.com - That is the artists website.

The Samurai

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Musicians & Artists
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 11:26:28 AM »
This is interesting, I thought I was the only one.  I am a bass player around town.

www.myspace.com/barclaymartin

www.myspace.com/quixoticfusion

www.myspace.com/bixbylane

When I have been out playing I haven't talked to too many musicians, but love for the music none the less.

Keep the beats flowin!!!

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
Ah, Brandon is a HELLA sick drummer. I know Eric Gould, hes just now getting involved with the quixotic thing. I also know Whitney and James (hair and make-up) for quixotic. Really cool event.

We'll have to hook up for a round!

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 11:45:11 AM »
And oh yeah, I know that we've shared the stage at some point. I started the group Groovelight back in highschool. We did the Lawrence / Waka / Jam scene for a while. I think Groovelight and Bixby Lane played together at the Beaumont club at one point... Who knows

www.myspace.com/groovelight

The Samurai

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 01:26:13 PM »
That's cool man!  I love making random connects like that.  Let me know when your goin out for a round...

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »
www.myspace.com/misbehavinjass

the audio is raw, unmastered in any form.  We intentionally left it that way.  Too much perfection ruins the music...but maybe we shoulda tried for a LITTLE perfection???

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:45:26 PM »
That's cool stuff Steve! I have been on the engineering side of things durring some roots music sessions, more bluegrass oriented than your project, but very similar in the micing and room set-up I'm sure. How many mics were you using, or was it just a room mic? I used all ribbon mics when I did mine, it was great.

stjoekc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
I play the drums/sing/play guitar a little. Mostly country music,seems to be what I enjoy singing the most.Love music from bluegrass to speed metal. Have a cover band I play in a couple times a month. We'll be in Rockport Mo. the 27th of Nov. place called The Black Iron Grill just off Interstate 29. Name of the band is Curtis Wayne Stroud Band. We just got done recording the first CD.
Kevin pdga #28865

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 08:27:23 PM »
Hey Guys -

I am late to this I know - - -  but at the "nudging" of someone who pays more attention than I.... I am finally replying to this thread. I have just started my DG existence this past summer and must say that it is definitely cutting into my guitar practice time  :)

Anyway - good to be throwing discs when I am not on the axe - -

JS

www.jeffscheetz.com
"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".
-Wendell Berry-

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:27 AM »
fisherman bob Hayett, blues bass player/lead singer.  Last year we performed at two disc golf events, Wide Open and Lion's Den.  Check out Bandmix.com search for the fisherman bob profile page, there's six songs on there, three covers and three originals.   

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »
http://www.presentmagazine.com/pplayer.php?p=125853
http://www.presentmagazine.com/full_content.php?article_id=1728&full=yes&pbr=1

Best band ever to come from Kansas City.  These guys were great together, wonderful seperate, and shuold be awe inspiring tonight and tomorrow.  If you want to see a good show for the holidays that is at a reasonable price, do yourself a favor and head to the Record Bar this weekend.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
gunar,
we were individually mic'd, REALLY small room.  Had a pickup on the bass and a mic in front of it, same mic as the tuba. 

Jack, I am REALLY pissed that I missed the Mongol reunion.  My ex- worked with most of those guys, and they were good friends through the Grumpy years.  Unfortunately, my own gigs got in the way (and I forgot my change of clothes Sat...didn't want to go into the club in lederhosen!)
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »
GRUMPY IS GOOD!

Mark is playing at Davey's Uptown tomorrow, and since I am not giong to Chicago for NYE, I am thinking about heading there.

Grumpy was better in my mind from a musical listening standpoint, but Mongol was better as a performance.  Christian is a helluva showman.  Jeff is AWESOME though with his musical ability, and the rest of the guys aer awesome as well.  I could not believe how much better Jeff had gotten listening to them the other night.  Mark and Kyle were simply amazing, Scott well, man he looks the same, acts the same, and just is crazy with his own bas playing ways.  Billy looked like he never missed a beat over time, they were great to watch.

I ran into Thomas (Bassist) and was glad, it had been over 12 years since I had seen him.  I talk with Basham (drummer) semi-regularly he and I were rooommates before I left to move back to KC from chicago.

Listening to the discs though of both bands, the Grumpy Album was better, of course it was prodeuced better so that plays a part, but even with my ex there both nights were awesome and you did miss a spectactular show.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

davetv81

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:39:02 AM »
Hey Guys -

I am late to this I know - - -  but at the "nudging" of someone who pays more attention than I.... I am finally replying to this thread. I have just started my DG existence this past summer and must say that it is definitely cutting into my guitar practice time  :)

Anyway - good to be throwing discs when I am not on the axe - -

JS

www.jeffscheetz.com

Jeff,

excellent to see you're throwing discs.  You played for our xl rally a couple years, the 1st year was out at my land near leavenworth.  I now have 6 baskets installed out there and hopefully will get the other 12 in this next summer. 

are you playing anywhere for NYE or early Jan ?

gunar

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 11:28:17 AM »
Jack, thanks for those links. I didn't get to check them out, but I will watch out for them from now on.

My band is playing at Davey's Uptown tonight at 10pm. It is going to be a fun show