Author Topic: Shall we get real?  (Read 7195 times)

tommymarin

Shall we get real?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 07:00:43 PM »
TJ, do you complain all the time or does it just appear that way? You know my mother once told me that if you can't say anything nice become a journalist. If you don't like the area don't go back. Why be negative about something that hasn't even had a chance to get off the ground. If I remember correctly Rosedale, Swope, and Water Works weren't always as nice to play as they are now. Disc Golf had a hand in that change. What is that you do to change anything? Complain.......go tell it to someone who is going to listen to a Whiner.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
Shall we get real?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 07:27:02 PM »
The views are beautiful from Blue Valley, while I admit the neighborhood could be better I am at least doing MY part to change it by WORKING on the course. Where were you when we had a work day out there? We really could have used the help. Regaurdless I believe this course will be a great place to play, as Jack said it takes time, patience,and volunteers.

Dennis I believe the ratings are in the PDGA course directory book, not online.....
Mike Penney

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
Shall we get real?
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 09:55:22 PM »
Would you post the top 10 or so courses as rated by the PDGA.  This is something I've always been curious about.  Funny that Delaveaga is my favorite and WW is second.  I'm guessing that the PDGA agrees.

tjringer

complaining
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 08:56:47 AM »
To : TommyMarin

It's not a matter of complaint it's a matter of humor and reality.  Some of the things written and proposed are half truths designed to blow smoke up our asses and only show half of the coin.  As far as being nice, not everything is always nice. Also, I am entitled to my opinion and will continue to provide it with enthusiasm for as long as I shall breath.  I also find your statement humorous because at one time I contemplated being a journalist until I realized that journalism, like everything, is about presenting only the aspects of "stuff" that further your own personal goals.

And in closing I suggest to you as you suggested to me, if you don't like it, don't read it.  It's that easy.

Thank you, drive through.

tjringer

Where was I?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 09:04:03 AM »
Well Mike, obviously I wasn't there.  I was probably sleeping or actually playing disc golf.  In the first five years I lived here I participated in all the work days I could and did a lot of things.  Now I'm done regularly attending work days as I work 40+ hours a week and use disc golf for recreation, not a second job.  I commend all who are volunteering at Blue Valley, (and all new courses really), and think you are doing an excellent job.  No one can deny that Dan Cashen and Jack Lowe are pioneer leaders with the vision, the mettle and the determination to get things done.

I think that even you will eventually tire of the endless work days as well.  If you don't, kudos to you.  Additionally I would like to point out that humor is very difficult to convey through text and it looks as if some of you are getting so full of yourselves that you are beginning to think of everything as an attack.  If you have no reason to defend yourself then there is no reason to do it.  Why don't you relax, have another beer and smile.

MikeTeachKC

Mending fences...
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 11:57:44 AM »
I agree, I'd rather play with the 99.9999999999% of the people who aren't arrogant and elitest.  It just happens to be more fun with the good people.  Blue Valley IS an awesome course.  The junior 9 is a good training ground, I think, and I play it about 2 or 3 times a week, mixed in with Cliff Drive and WaterWorks mostly, though I do get to Swope at times.  Unfortunatly, I usually play alone in the morning, when it hasn't quite hit 95 (except today...DAYEM IT WAS HOT!).  My 26 year old nephew calls Disc Golf "the sport of the blighted inner-city" due to the location of the courses.  Last week, I found a used hypodermic on tee 2 at BV.  Beer cans are just decorations.  Now, don't get the idea I'm complaining here, I'm not.  I think that the more of us out there, the less the riff-raff (those drunks, whores, crack addicts, junkies whatever) will want to be there.  I also understand that many of our courses (all of them?) is a work in progress.  Just don't forget us "little guys" and all will be well.  So far, I think that I've not met any of the .0000000001% who are jerks in person yet.  I hope never to meet one, either.  
Keep 'em flying!

Mike

tjringer

Traffic in the parks!
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 01:50:02 PM »
A hypodermic on hole #2!  I hope you didn't lick it or anything!  I would hope it was disposed of but I would not blame you one iota if you avoided it completely.

Part of the ability of the KCFDC to get approval, funding and assistance to build disc golf courses in these parks is that they are run down vagrant motels where the seedier side of life hangs out and the club has a plan and a resume showing that they can help to turn these parks around.  Obviously the city and communities want this.  However, everybody venturing into these areas should be armed with the knowledge of where they are going and what is there beforehand.

This includes informing everyone of the bad people, the dead animals, the crack whores, the hookers, the pimps, the lack of shade, the poison ivy, the amount of crime committed in the park and all the other nasty things that go on there in addition to the good things; (like the dramatic views, the challenge of the course and the envisioned community improvement underway here).

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
Shall we get real?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 02:37:47 PM »
you know i actually spent the night in that park 3 years ago with no incident..........i haven't had anything of a negitive sort ever happen to me while in this park.......that doesn't mean bad things don't happen there, i just don't think it's as bad as it's being made out. then again that's just me.
Mike Penney

tjringer

Why?
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 07:12:46 PM »
Why exactly did you spend the night in the park or do I even want to know? :)

Unfortunately, Blue Valley is that bad.  I wish it were not so, but it is.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • myspace
Shall we get real?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 08:17:01 PM »
i was watching over the neighborhood associations tents and such for a festival they were planning......pr for the club in other words.....

you know the most i have really seen with my own eyes is umm well the guy on guy action.......same problem rosey and water works had....other then the guys with antennas, and some people that fish, i really haven't seen anybody in the park, and i have made it a point to go through there at least once a week for the last 3 years......i mean come on it is what it is, a park in the inner city......i believe there is 10 times more traffic in swope then blue valley.......so you do the math
Mike Penney