Author Topic: speed golf  (Read 4151 times)

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
speed golf
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
I've seen others jogging and playing before, so yesterday afternoon I thought I'd try it out. I kept the stopwatch running from when I started on 1 to when I putted out on 18 at Prairie Center. I shot a 54 in 22 minutes-9 seconds. I think if the course is empty I can shoot a 54 or better under 18 minutes. It's a lot of fun except for the chest pains and leg cramp part.

What I wanna try sometime is to get a team of four, and by stationing the team at various points along each hole, see how fast they can get one disc all the way around the course. It would be fun to get two or three teams and have a race around the course, with each team trying to get one disc all the way around the course fastest. I'd say the rules would be just like regular disc golf, and you could only throw the disc to play a hole. (no throwing it from basket to tee box to save time) What disc to use? I think a Roc or Buzz. I'd guess a four man team could get one Roc all the way around Prairie Center set fairly long in under twelve minutes. Maybe under ten minutes?

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: speed golf
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:37:27 AM »
 ::) Sounds painful...how about a Segway Team event?  ;D

http://www.segway.com/police-government/products-solutions/x2.php
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
I do the speed golf thing up at Yates, but it's mostly just to cure a jonesin' for DG if I don't have time to play a real round. Just grab one Roc and try to make it through the course as quickly as possible. Hey, it's definitely more exciting than jogging.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:40:55 PM »
Are falling putts allowed?  :D
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
Would it be faster to play with 2 discs, that way you wouldn't need to mark?  Or are you allowed to pick up your one disc and throw it again without using a mini?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
One disc. Mark lie with mini.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:17 PM »
Speed golf normally involves as many discs as you chose to carry, but whether there are falling putts and whether you have to is left up to the person keeping tally.  In general, I use a mini if needed, but do allow falling putts.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »
Can you deduct time for smoke breaks?   ;D
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
Speed golf normally involves as many discs as you chose to carry, but whether there are falling putts and whether you have to is left up to the person keeping tally.  In general, I use a mini if needed, but do allow falling putts.

Correct. I agree in speed golf you can use as many discs as you want. The one disc game I was talking about is not speed golf as much as a relay game, where the sqaud of players justs trys to get one disc all the way around the course.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »

Correct. I agree in speed golf you can use as many discs as you want. The one disc game I was talking about is not speed golf as much as a relay game, where the sqaud of players justs trys to get one disc all the way around the course.

That does sound like a fun game.  Let's see how long it takes to relay Blue Monster.  :o

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »
Or how many ankles could you break Down Under?

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:31 AM »
With the relay thing, you'd almost need a guy just keeping time and score.  How many people would you need total?  3 would work ok, but you could use more to make it faster.

For the speed golf, let's see some times posted for various configs.  This could get people in shape over the off-season.

Hesting

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:02 PM »
Cliff Drive today in 27 minutes with a meteor and a +4 score.
Played again afterward with my whole bag and smoke breaks shooting an equal +4. 1 hour 22 min. round.

davetv81

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 08:31:12 AM »
how do you keep your beer from spilling all over ?

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
How about full contact team speed golf?  Have one time trying to get the disc all the way around the course in one direction.  Have another team trying to get the disc around the course in the opposite direction.  The team without the disc tries to tackle the other team's golfer who has the disc.  If so then the disc goes with the successful tackling team and the disc starts in the other direction.  The team without the disc tries to tackle a golfer with the disc, if successful takes over and starts in the opposite direction.  Keep playing until one team successfully makes it around the course.  Might end up being like a cricket match, could take days to complete.  Would separate the men from the boys.