Author Topic: speed golf  (Read 3990 times)

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Re: speed golf
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 07:25:29 PM »
How about full contact team speed golf?  Have one time trying to get the disc all the way around the course in one direction.  Have another team trying to get the disc around the course in the opposite direction.  The team without the disc tries to tackle the other team's golfer who has the disc.  If so then the disc goes with the successful tackling team and the disc starts in the other direction.  The team without the disc tries to tackle a golfer with the disc, if successful takes over and starts in the opposite direction.  Keep playing until one team successfully makes it around the course.  Might end up being like a cricket match, could take days to complete.  Would separate the men from the boys. 
Sounds more like full contact ultimate the disc golf?
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Or how about multiple discs.  Play 9 holes only and start 3 guys on going each way.  Best time wins and watch out for that disc flying straight for you.

I did something similar to this once.  You line up a few people and 300' away another team lines up.  At night, with LED lights on a disc for everyone.  On 3, you chuck it at the other line.  Kinda cool to see half a dozen lighted discs flying at you.  See who can catch one.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »
We could call it "Fully Unaware of the Contact until they Kick your ass during Incredible Nite Guts Golf for the Neurotic -- a Unique Triple Scramble"

Build your own anagram, using all the CAPITAL letters above...  :o
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 10:24:17 AM »
Some rules for full contact speed team disc golf: 1) A player cannot be tackled within the 10-meter circle around the basket 2) No goaltending allowed.  A disc in the air cannot be touched within the 10-meter circle.  3)  A team scoring a birdie can skip the next hole (might speed up play a little) 4) A team scoring an ace can skip three holes.  5) A player cannot be tackled when driving (however the drive can be blocked) 6) When catching or picking up a disc in the fairway a player must throw that disc (or a another disc) within five seconds.  7) If tackled the player turns the disc to the tackler who is allowed five seconds to throw the disc, he cannot be tackled within those five seconds but his throw can be blocked  8) An opposing player cannot stand within 10 meters of the driving area (tee box)  9) Each player is allowed to carry three discs of his or her choosing 10) Opposing teams take over play for discs that go out of bounds from an agreed on spot.  The chosen thrower has five seconds to throw. 11) Putts that are missed within the 10 meter circle are turned over to the opposing team.  Play resumes from the nearest tee box.  12) First team to complete 18 holes is the winner.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »
We could call it "Fully Unaware of the Contact until they Kick your ass during Incredible Nite Guts Golf for the Neurotic -- a Unique Triple Scramble"

Build your own anagram, using all the CAPITAL letters above...  :o

CD, you are crazy funny!

Bob, you are going to need some padding if you intend to "block" some drives!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »
Nice thread ressurection.

A simple method, but the times aren't very compatible from course to course since the course difficulty is a big factor.  I like the idea of figuring out what 1000 rated golf is.  Then add a minute for every stroke over and subtract a minute for every stroke under.

You will be in great shape if you keep throwing speed golf.  How could we make this catch on?  Weekly time contest?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
How many discs you using?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 07:04:58 PM »
I think getting one of those slotted leg strap bags would be the best for speed.  Then you could carry a putter, mid, under & overstable driver.  Maybe carry 2 putters so you don't have to take time to mark.  Don't have to carry anything that way.  Where do they sell these?

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »

Love this! Big SMILE across my face!

Wow! I'm stoked this is a topic. When I moved to KC, I had played ultimate the previous four years and immediately went back to disc golf and ran the course to get some more exercise. I carried three discs and, depending on the heat, a bottle of water. Think Biathlon, x country skiing and shooting a rifle extremely well while your heart wants to jump out of you chest, it is great! I love the concentration.

Since then I have have started carrying more 12oz beverages and taking much longer with friends that I've made on the course. It goes without saying: disc is awesome because of the people.

So as much fun as running is, how to make a competitive event and keep the peeps involved? Multiple challenge event? Speed, Putting, and Relay wrapped into a time competition? Ultimate and disc in the same event? Thoughts?

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:28 AM »
You would have to close an entire course to have some sort of competition so you don't have any sort of back-ups.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
The bag isn't really a bag.  It's some contraption that straps to one leg and it has elastic slots that hold discs.  Might have a belt clip.  Not sure how many it holds, I think about 6 or 7.  This would keep you from having to run with discs in hand, throw them down, pick them up, etc.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »
The bag isn't really a bag.  It's some contraption that straps to one leg and it has elastic slots that hold discs.  Might have a belt clip.  Not sure how many it holds, I think about 6 or 7.  This would keep you from having to run with discs in hand, throw them down, pick them up, etc.
Yeah, I remember that thing.  LaRon Harris used to wear/promote it.   I think that even it would be an annoyance during speed play with it slipping down your leg as you ran. Plus difficulty messing with pulling discs out of the slot and shoving them back in on the fly.   I'll stick with my "10 finger bag" strategy. ;) 

Idea:  if you really had to have a storage system for speed play.  Perhaps something similar to the leg thing but worn like a BabyBjorn with a few slots snugly strapped around your torso so the discs lay against your chest? 

The chest thing would get really hot. The leg thing would slow you down just because it would add all that bulk to your thigh. I have never seen anyone doing speed golf that didn't just carry three discs in their hands. I have seen them with Camelpacks on for hydration though. That way they don't have to carry a water bottle. Personally, I like to walk.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
I play speed golf during the fall Down Under for some cross country training.  My best score is somewhere in the 18 minute mark, shooting a 55.

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
If we did this somewhere like Swope or Cliff, they'd have a S.W.A.T. team there in no time responding to a giant gang fight in the park...
Nate Fishback

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:27 PM »
The leg holder thing was designed by (I think) John Molanario, who may still live near Gregory and Oak.
Lately I have seen some 'posers' with hiking shorts with expanded pockets to hold probably 4 discs.

Slimpockets
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree