Author Topic: Course Update - 11/20/08  (Read 3815 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Course Update - 11/20/08
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:53:11 AM »
The course has now been mowed in its entirety.

I met with some people from the city yesterday to discuss several holes that lie in a low spot and play over some pretty wet areas.  I won't say now that my new holes will be permanent, but I did change holes 13-15 to avoid the swampy areas.  We lost a lot of distance on hole 13 and a little on hole 15, but hole 14 (which was WAY too short to begin with) has been lengthened and improved to use more of the tree areas around that paticular hole.  If you've been to the course and seen the holes, I think that hole 12 in particular will be a signature hole as time goes on (reminds me a lot of Swope #1, a tunnel shot down the trees), and I tried to redesign 13-15 to give the same aesthetic.   

It sounds goofy, but the course is basically in, just minus the baskets.  Yesterday I played a couple holes "object style" and it wasn't bad at all.

Brian P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:13:10 AM by phisherman_77 »

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Course Update - 11/20/08
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
fantastic!  thanks Brian.

Olorin

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
Where is this course?  Would you please post some directions?  When do you think the baskets will be installed?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »
this course is at legacy park in lee's summit.

I am not sure when the baskets will be put in yet.  The city is going to pour a couple more tee pads and hopefully put in a new basket placement before the course opens for play(at least that's my hope).

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 06:57:10 AM »
I didn't think they'd mow the entire thing either, but hey, we get what we get.  Complaining isn't going to turn that course into wolf creek in pomona doug.

I went out yesterday and laid out flags for some new pin placements and two more tees.  I'm not sure how long it will take them to pour the pads and put the new sleeves in, but the course looks and plays well now.

let's get some perspective, people played a game similar to disc golf for years, just throwing at trees or other kinds of object markers.  just cuz you can't hear the ching of the chains doesn't mean you can't go out there and play some golf!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
there will still be areas that aren't mowed regularly.

the city's intention was to brushhog pretty much everything and then let the fairways define themselves as the grass grows longer.  it's a lot easier to do it that way; the course can get played without the waist high grass eating multiple discs per round.  yes, there is still some grass that will eat discs, but not nearly as much as before. 

when i met with steve, gary and the "guy out there with the big mower", their plan was to mow the fairway areas regularly, but only mow the outward areas 2-3 times a year.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 12:37:51 PM »
It sounds like they are starting to figure some things out, which is great news.  These things take time, and we know that Lee's Summit is fully committed to this project.  Folks just need to continue to be patient and let this course work its way out.  Brian Plamer is the right man for this job and we can trust  his suggestions and judgement.  He has the right vision for this course and he has good experience as a player seening and playing numerous courses.  And the good thing is, if he makes a bad choice, we can trust that his better half will correct him. 

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
And the good thing is, if he makes a bad choice, we can trust that his better half will correct him. 

oh, how true.......

it sounds like you know what you're talking about john.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:05:24 PM by phisherman_77 »

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 01:08:19 PM »
And the good thing is, if he makes a bad choice, we can trust that his better half will correct him. 

oh, how true.......

We all know who wears the pants in the Palmer family. :)
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »

oh, how true.......

True, True...

I still hope Brian wears some sort of pants...I would hate to see him without any!  ;)
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »

oh, how true.......

True, True...

I still hope Brian wears some sort of pants...I would hate to see him without any!  ;)

the feeling is mutual andy ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:57:25 PM by phisherman_77 »

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 03:31:38 PM »
it's hard to stomach that they had multiple completion dates, put the baskets in and pulled them a couple weeks later; stating the pins were only in for a "test" run and now there is no date. it's good to go, changes can still be made while baskets are up and if you're too good to throw at 126' hole, back up and make a mando. as for the water i personally would throw around it. if the course is closed then why are there L.S. thugs throwing at sticks?-ghetto. putting is golf.
putt, putt, give.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »
again, complaining won't help.

hayes, could you also get swope's keys to me so that we can get them to the new swope CC?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 08:31:14 AM by phisherman_77 »

Big Sky

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »
It seems as though many people feel some sense of entitlement to having a new course in a new place on their timetable. Everyone should just relax. It will be worth the wait, I am sure. Why consume yourself with what the city says regarding completion dates? At least there will be a course at Legacy Park.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »
It seems as though many people feel some sense of entitlement to having a new course in a new place on their timetable. Everyone should just relax. It will be worth the wait, I am sure. Why consume yourself with what the city says regarding completion dates? At least there will be a course at Legacy Park.

truly wise words my friend.