Author Topic: Finally made it  (Read 1853 times)

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Finally made it
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »
First time out to Yates, and John, CONGRATS!  This is a fun course, and not necessarily as easy as it may seem.  No shortage of short shot variety, it's great!

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Finally made it
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
Thanks a lot.  That really means a lot to me when folks enjoy it.  That course is my baby and was a great deal of work.  However, i had much help.  And it was installed for under 5K.  Definately had some major donations and discounted supplies along the way. The best thing about building a course out of neglected public land is seeing all the new folk in the area that have discovered the game.  There is an eighth grader named Clinton who plays out there about every day and the kid is BAD. He is still raw and has so much to learn but he is addicted.   He broke his arm this summer and now he is beating up older guys out there left handed. So whatever folks say/criticize about the course, that is their opinion, but that little course is turning on so many folks to disc golf and it is always getting used.   

Bring someone out to Yates that has never played before.  Introduce new players on a course where they can have some success.  Yates is 15 minutes from east of downtown.  Please remember that alcohol is illegal on school property in Missouri. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
Its a great course John, don't fool yourself.  Just because it plays under 5,000' doesn't mean that the course isn't good. 

Getting the 8th grader started, thats how it starts.  By the time I was 14 I was playing daily myself......probably better and with a lot less discs than I do now!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
That 5k figure was the dollar amount, Jack, not the distances. (Although it may be close to that anyway...)

They had our neighborhood trash dump-off at Yates this weekend, there was a long line, so I just parked and played disc golf. ;D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 02:32:22 PM »
well aware of both.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

kohjahk

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
Hey there's nothing wrong with this course.  It is my course of preference when introducing new people to the game and I always see 2-3 groups playing it every time I go.  I've gotten quite a few beginners playing there regularly!

~TJ Ring

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »
who wrote this?

I used to konw this guy named TJ......he used to play disc golf......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:57 AM »
who wrote this?

I used to konw this guy named TJ......he used to play disc golf......

hmmm.....it might ring a bell
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:28:12 PM »
who said anything about something wrong with Yates????  It sure wasn't me. ???
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

kohjahk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:33:51 AM »
He still plays disc golf.  What you more than likely meant to say was he used to play competitively and live at leagues all summer long.  But then he got a new job and picked up lots of side jobs in an effort to save money for a month long trip to europe at the end of the year.  He fully intends to start playing leagues again once his schedule lightens up!