Author Topic: School rules and expectations  (Read 3843 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
School rules and expectations
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »
William Yates Elementary is open to the public after school hours and it has gotten a great deal of play since its insallation.  This course was funded by a $5,000 grant from Sprint to battle obesity. Yates is a great course to take new players of all ages.  The course is a pitch and putt type of course, but it offers great elevation, wooded shots, tunnel shots, mandos, and some alternate pads.  Players need to remember that the 18 hole course is on school grounds and responsible behavior is a must.  All Blue Springs Schools are Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug free. In addition, the course has several holes that abut houses.  Some neighbors have expressed concerns about the course, but many have openly welcomed the course.  The course has opened up some of the over grown woody areas that were once breeding grounds for illicit behaviors.  However, the school district will not tolerate innappropriate activities and Yates could be pulled if negative issues arise.

If you go out and and play Yates, please help me out and make appropriate choices.  Yates has already introduced many new faces to our sport.  And one of those new faces, Mike Keizer is now a course coordinator at Cliff.  Grab two discs and come out and throw Yates.

John Theiss
course coordinator

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: School rules and expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:25:16 AM »
I'm pleasantly (?) surprised that the City of Independence did not snag Wm. Yates from BS Schools when they took over the KCMO Schools in their city limits.

Directions? 39th Street between M-291 and Lee's Summit Rd, go north at the light at Davidson (?) at the top of the hill in front of the church. Keep going directly to the parking lot. First tee on your right.

Thanks John!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3
2013: 3, 40, 10, 148, 32, 19, 84, 184, 15, 1, 118
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Keizer

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:43:26 PM »
Yates has already introduced many new faces to our sport.  And one of those new faces, Mike Keizer is now a course coordinator at Cliff.

Man, if people think playing at Yates might cause them to become a course coordinator, they might not want to play there... :D

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
Yates has already introduced many new faces to our sport.  And one of those new faces, Mike Keizer is now a course coordinator at Cliff.

Man, if people think playing at Yates might cause them to become a course coordinator, they might not want to play there... :D

Quit complaining and get back to work..... why aren't you at the course preparing for tee pads or something....  (sound of whip cracking)

Seriously, John needs our help making sure the folks that play WYE are aware of where they are and that they behave accordingly.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
Glad to see that Yates has it's own place on this web site.

Brad B
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Olorin

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 05:49:59 PM »
Glad to see that Yates has it's own place on this web site.

Brad B

Me too!  Great job on that course John.

upa14er

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:24:14 PM »
This is a fun little course.  I enjoyed the elevation changes and the woods.  I will gladly go back and play again.  The v-shaped mando is just evil, though. ;D

Good job John.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:39:48 PM »
it is the second shortest hole on the course and that part of the course is supposed to be tougher.  the students get to use that part of the course after they have been practicing in class for a couple weeks.  it is such an easy ace(like so many out there), but it is just tight enough to mess with you and if you do not hit, the drop box on the other side  is a very tough three.  glad you like it and next time you come out, bring a new player.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
John, I'll probably be taking some of of the disc golfing people there next month to teach the importance of getting "up and down,"  which means making birdies on that course.

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
Played the course today "she's" in great shape.

I picked up no less than 25 beer cans though.

People please keep in mind this is a school.

NO ALCOHOL
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
Brad, next time you make it to Yates, give me a call and you can come by and get your disc. I'm just a couple blocks away from there.

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:51 AM »
Yes, Beck and I played on Friday and we even noticed and commented on some beer cans/bottles around.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 09:47:50 AM »
thanks Brad for picking up after the rest of the slackers....you know one arrest there may send a message...and I am not one for arresting, but imagine alcohol at an elementary school, what would the ticket look like, and would YOU really want that on your record?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 11:01:19 AM »
thanks Brad for picking up after the rest of the slackers....you know one arrest there may send a message...and I am not one for arresting, but imagine alcohol at an elementary school, what would the ticket look like, and would YOU really want that on your record?

It would look especially bad on your record if you ATTEND there... I'm kinda surprised the neighbors haven't made the call.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3
2013: 3, 40, 10, 148, 32, 19, 84, 184, 15, 1, 118
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »
i really appreciate any trash pick up.  thank you so much for doing that.  All it takes is the mowing crew to report excessive beer cans or some of the neighbors to complain and the course could get pulled.  The course is supposed to be a way to enhance the land, not detract from beauty with all the litter.  i do not get out much to play anywhere lately and i just can not always be the guy  responsible for trash pick up.  unfortunately, the location of the course will bring in some of Indep's finest citizens.  i am a product of Indep so i can talk some stuff on all the burned out, irresponsible, dip shi%#.  I am getting to the point where i might be the dic% head that starts calling the police on folks.  I have tried to be cool with folks but eventually you just want to bang some heads and if i did not teach in the district i probably would have by now.