Author Topic: Hole 15  (Read 1959 times)

born2shimmer

Hole 15
« on: December 08, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
I was just wondering if that hole will always be played with the OB being anything on or short of the walking path...or if that is just a Glow League thing. As one who has to have a REALLY good throw just to make it across the pond....having to get across the path is just something that may never happen.

Not having a lot of distance in my game is already a challenge, being penalized with an OB for having a weenie arm is doubly so.   :-[

coops

Re: Hole 15
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »
so far it is only for glow, and while that may be partially due to the fact that it was not completed until the start of glow, i would have a hard time believing that Bob would call that for regular league. i would agree that making short of it OB is a bad idea, making it left and long (for that long placement) is not bad. it is just too bad that there is really no way to differentiate when you are dealing with short or left. until that is figured out though, my vote is that it would be scrapped. don't think i have much say though

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:53:58 AM »
It's just for GLOW. In doubles it shouldn't happen that both players can't get across. It's only about 215'.

Maybe it is too hard. I'll consider making no OB on 15 if the majority of GLOWERS think that's how it should be. Personally, I hate most OB, but in this case I think it works well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:05:08 AM by Tom »

coops

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:15:46 AM »
personally i like most ob, on this hole it just doesn't seem necessary to punish one for going short, the pond does enough of that by itself. perhaps if there were a way to clearly differentiate where ob on the path started. maybe posts in the ground right in line with those trees on the left would start path being ob. then we could have appropriate challenge without unfairly penalizing some

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:45:13 AM »
Post would work, along with a line on the path, but you would really need a line from the posts and trail to the west down to the edge of the pond. Also,The mower guys wouldn't be to keen on posts.
I suppose we could put new pin placement in on every hole at about 110', so everyone that plays has a chance at aceing every hole.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »
I haven't actually seen this walking path but why is it OB short of the path if you clear the pond? I would think that since the pond is obviously OB and you want to avoid landing on the path itself that making the area between the pond and the path OB should not be a standard OB area. For doubles or special circumstances it adds challenge but for day-to-day play making standard OBs like the pond and simply on the walking path the default makes more sense to me.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:41:36 AM »
I haven't actually seen this walking path but why is it OB short of the path if you clear the pond? I would think that since the pond is obviously OB and you want to avoid landing on the path itself that making the area between the pond and the path OB should not be a standard OB area. For doubles or special circumstances it adds challenge but for day-to-day play making standard OBs like the pond and simply on the walking path the default makes more sense to me.

Short of it is OB because it cuts across the normal throwing lane, then turns and parallels the fairway, and finally turns again and runs perpindiicular to the fairway up by the long pin setting. I didn't think the way I called it when the path got paved is too difficult in doubles, but we'll have a quick vote Monday.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
We can certainly change the OB on 15 if the majority feels it is unfair to have to throw the approx 215' across the trail. Of course one could always throw to the right of the trail (due east off the tee) to advoid OB. If we call it not OB, then it won't be OB further up the hole either.

I just want everyone to be happy with the rule and have fun, because it is just a game to play to have fun.

We could always just disband the Monday Prarie Center GLOW, and Cindy and I will quietly disapear wth the ACE fund (when it reaches 3 mil) and retire somewhere in the Caribean.

Cliff

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:04 PM »
I have only been playing for about 4 months and pushing 50 years old. I have played twice that we used the OB short of the path and made it both times, not by much but made it. I can tell you as a beginner it is tough enough just to throw across the water, much less having to worry about it making it over the path. We did play this last Saturday and Bob didn't play that OB. I don't care for but then again I don't care for any of the OB's. They tend to pull at my disc.  >:(

coops

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »
all of this debate is probably just academic anyway since the hole will probably have to be moved at some point...

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:59 PM »
Tom's glow TD and whatever rules he issues is fine by me. 

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »
We can certainly change the OB on 15 if the majority feels it is unfair to have to throw the approx 215' across the trail. Of course one could always throw to the right of the trail (due east off the tee) to advoid OB. If we call it not OB, then it won't be OB further up the hole either.

As you know, I'm all for OB.  However, try to implement it in a fair manner.   On hole #15, a high percentage of players can make it across that path without much problem. So why punish those that can't make it or sometimes barely make it with their longest throws?  It's like taxing the poor and leaving the rich alone. Playing off to the right is still a built in extra stroke. If you want to add OB on that hole, my suggesting would be to designate any tall grass/brush to the east of the path as OB. Only the mowed grass would be in bounds.  That way the rich have to deal with OB considerations from the tee, not just grip it and rip it. The poor then have to deal with the OB, to a lessor extent, on their up shot.

But like bob said, your league, run it as you see fit.

It's not "my league", it's a rogue league and this particular OB question will be discussed and perhaps voted on by those in attendance Monday. All I do is collect the money, pay out the winners, keep the ACE fund secure, try to have a light supply, shovel snow off the tee boxes, annonce which tees to use, and call out the OB, (which has been discussed with the core group) and try to help all my DG friends have a little escape and fun. 

DG Thuggy

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »

It's not "my league", it's a rogue league and this particular OB question will be discussed and perhaps voted on by those in attendance Monday. All I do is collect the money, pay out the winners, keep the ACE fund secure, try to have a light supply, shovel snow off the tee boxes, annonce which tees to use, and call out the OB, (which has been discussed with the core group) and try to help all my DG friends have a little escape and fun.

With statements like this, "I suppose we could put new pin placement in on every hole at about 110', so everyone that plays has a chance at aceing every hole.", I suppose we could add saying dickish things to the list.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:21 AM »

With statements like this, "I suppose we could put new pin placement in on every hole at about 110', so everyone that plays has a chance at aceing every hole.", I suppose we could add saying dickish things to the list.

Hey Thuggy, don't be giving Dick credit for my sarcasm, and I suppose raher than 110' we could set em at around 75' to better suit your ability.  ;D

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
i've shot courses in reverse <ie swope> where some holes were 60 ft..........yeah it's still a par 3 just like BV#18 long, but jeez, never seen an ace fund pay out on a hole under 100ft. sign me up.
espouse elucidation