Author Topic: Olathe Winter League  (Read 5377 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Olathe Winter League
« on: December 11, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
Why is the Olathe winter league the only one to take money away from the payout for the club?

The club barely makes any money from that event during the winter so why can't we do full payout on that just like all other events in the city.

Downunder only holds out $1 but it also costs $10 to play so there is still a good payout. (Not even sure they do the $1 anymore)

Olathe Sat mornings would work better for some, but when you have $2.50 of your $5 entry going to an ace fund and to the club you barely get anything for winning.

I don't mind the ace fund but come on let's leave the winter leagues alone as far as the club taking money away from them....maybe we can get a turn out for that league then also.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:08:13 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Olathe Winter League is getting ripped off!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
Andy,

Down Under league holds out $2 of the $10.  $1 for ace, and $1 for the club.  The Olathe winter league is not the only one to donate to the club.

I doubt the extra $0.50 in payout per person is going to draw more people to winter leagues.  It's more likely that:

1.  The league is in Olathe, which is a lot farther away from home for most disc golfers in the area than Rosedale is.

2.  It's winter.  It's cold.  You can play in the more sheltered conditions of Down Under, or play up top at Olathe in the cold and wind.  The big Down Under league days of 40 people or more have occurred on very nice days, for the most part.

In short, the difference in turnout between Down Under league and Olathe winter league is NOT due to payout.  I suspect you could ADD a $1 per person cash to the Olathe winter league, and it wouldn't make much difference.

Chap

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 03:28:11 PM by John Chapman »
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 03:58:39 PM »
Make it the same as down under then or like P.Hill

DU is $10 with $2 out or P.Hill is $5 with no Ace and $1 club (Maybe Olathe leaguers just need to play "casual rounds" like p.hill does sometimes if only 4 or 6 show up.) Why are we taking $1.50 out of Olathe...just because it's in Johnson county?  Just becasue it's always been that way?  Obama needs to run our leagues, cuz "It's time for change!"

6 of us played the other week which is $30 - Ace Fund out is $24 but the winners only cashed $15...that is a bunch of crap.

Put a minimum attendence before league takes money out in the winter.  Say 10 people have to show up or you just take out the Ace fund and that is it.

I agree DU is much more fun, weatherly protected, and centrally located....but if you ever play Olathe league...which you don't, then you would know that small payout is what has stopped "locals" from playing there instead of DU....not the wind, cold, or company.

MONEY MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!

See ya DU this Sat!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:06:30 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »
Money makes a difference yes but if you have more people there you will have better payouts.  Add an extra dollar.  I think alot of people go to DU because it cost more and they KNOW there is a bigger payout.  Our club which you donate that money to does go to let us converse on this site about how much money the club takes.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

coops

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:12:38 PM »
Part of the draw of DU too is that it is different... Olathe is run all summer and then in the winter while DU is only a winter thing. I agree higher payouts would make it more popular to go to Olathe (and might help justify going there for me) but also think that while it may draw a couple of extra people, it would never make it like DU. Perhaps if we played $30... then we might be able to compete with DU turnouts.  :P JK, or am i? ;D

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 06:04:29 PM »
Trust me..I totally agree with DU being more EVERYTHING...and I have no expectations of Olathe EVER being what DU is....but shouldn't the system be run with some sort of similarity?

This subject has been talked about for 3-4 years now with the same outcome...NOTHING...so don't really know why I'm wasting my energy on it other than to throw my 2 cents in about a subject I have an opinion about.  Not only that, it's a course that I have DONATED a huge amount of my time and equipment to and NEVER EVER asked for anything in return...not lunch, not gas, not repair fees for broken DR mowers.  I would just like to be able to play in a league event there and not feel like I'm being ripped off by the club when compared to other leagues in town.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Olathe Winter League
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »
Sometimes in the coldest part of winter when there be ice and snow on the ground it is nice to play Olathe because we have dry, non-slip surface tee pads. If we wanted to try something new to possibly get more attendance, how bout bring your partner dubs for $10 or $20 per person?

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
How about running league on a different day than DU.  I don't understand why the only two club events we have during the winter is on the same day. That makes no sense.  And further more, I want to repeat what Cooper said.  We play Olathe ALL YEAR LONG on Monday nights.  Why would we want a second league out there when we have the DU.  I would rather ALL OF US play the same league and if you have to have a  league do it on a differen't day and if that doesn't work quit b%tchin' about the turnout and the pay.   We have a successful league on saturday's that has been around longer than most of us as members. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 08:51:56 AM »
There are actually 3 club minis every weekend. Olathe, DU, and PH. I don't think Slant was b%tchin, just pointing out that the payout is remarkably low, and I agree if PH is only sending a buck to the club, that's what Olathe should do.
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Saturday Olathe thing was being played before DU was in the ground. If Olathe moves to Sunday, then we have to choose PH or Olathe, and since a lot of the ThrOlatheans travel to PH, that would make for a conflict as well. No easy solution. What I wanna know is where is Homie?

coops

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »
I'm willing to say that if there were a way to at least get a couple cards playing on sats at Olathe, and I weren't working which happens all too often, I would be there as often as I could. Right now, and when it gets cold and icy, I have to try to decide whether it is worth going or if it will even happen because several times when I've been there it has just been me and Bob, which I'm okay with, it just isn't quite like league since we just move a few baskets and make a few shots and then I drive back to Lawrence. DU is fun in a lot of ways, but throwing any real drives is where it lacks. Given the choice between the courses I'd rather play Olathe, and if there's a way to get people there to play, I'm all for it. $10 dubs isn't a bad idea, $20 might turn some more casual players off. I don't know if there is such a good solution to this problem, but debating it is at least planting ideas and maybe something will get done.

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
I respect what Tom did 3 years ago when he created the Winter Monday Night Glow league.   Nothing goes to the club, he has his own Ace Fund, and it is full payout.

Is the club broke?  Out of money?

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
I respect what Tom did 3 years ago when he created the Winter Monday Night Glow league.   Nothing goes to the club, he has his own Ace Fund, and it is full payout.

WW glow league that Ted runs has technically not paid back to the club, but they have always sponsored the club in other ways, with tee signs at the Wide Open, and they are already a special sponsor for Worlds 2009 ($500 donation).  That's the only league that doesn't give back to the club in a structured fashion, unless you're taling about beer league or homie.  The club DID buy the tee sign stands at Prairie Center in 2002 with the agreement with the City of Olathe that they would finish the tee signs.  We're still waiting on that.  The club does give back to Olathe, although I realize a lot of you guys put a lot of work into that course (a lot of people put a lot of work into all of our courses), it doesn't make PC more or less important to the club than any other course, although you personally may hold it more dear.

If you guys want to make Olathe winter league a $10/head league like DU, feel free to contact your league director/course coordinator Bob Hayett and tell him that.  I don't think the EC would stop that, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't vote against it if that's what Bob wanted to do for winter league.  However, I would bet $$$ that the attendance at Olathe winter league doesn't increase a significant amount if you raised the entry fee. I think it may actually decrease. Honestly, there's a lot of things I don't like about DU league....I think the entry fee IS too high (I don't care about payout, hardly ever win there anyway), I don't like playing in 8-somes, and I don't like 3.5-4 hour rounds down under, and I actually like the course at Prairie Center better than DU.  However, I will still play DU more than Olathe because of the distance from my crib, and probably the fact that there will be more peeps there.  Whatever you do, good luck.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »

No but having leagues without paying the club it will be broke.  This decade the entire disc golf scene has gone from 4 locations to over 14 to play.  That is a direct reflectino of what the club and the volunteers have done.  Without leagues funding our outreach efforts, we wouldn't have these courses, we wouldn't have the worlds, we wouldn't have this forum.

So is the club broke, the answer is always, are we out of money, the answer is no, but the reality is that we have no money that is of real value.  If we did we could buy our own land, create our own course, pay people to maintain it, and not be at the beck and call of the city's that we have worked painstakingly to be partners with over the years.

complaining about $.50 is absolutely foolish.  That does not make it or break it for league.  You can alwasy add more money, do the Swope deal, where $2 is added to the pro purse.  That solves your issue, make it work, don't look for ways to take from the very existence that has infact afforded this entire town to play disc golf for close to 20 years.  Makes no sense to bite the hands that fed it for years before you started playing.  This is a legacy folks, it is not just about us, it is about the future.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:56:50 PM »

No but having leagues without paying the club it will be broke.  This decade the entire disc golf scene has gone from 4 locations to over 14 to play.  That is a direct reflectino of what the club and the volunteers have done.  Without leagues funding our outreach efforts, we wouldn't have these courses, we wouldn't have the worlds, we wouldn't have this forum.

So is the club broke, the answer is always, are we out of money, the answer is no, but the reality is that we have no money that is of real value.  If we did we could buy our own land, create our own course, pay people to maintain it, and not be at the beck and call of the city's that we have worked painstakingly to be partners with over the years.

complaining about $.50 is absolutely foolish.  That does not make it or break it for league.  You can alwasy add more money, do the Swope deal, where $2 is added to the pro purse.  That solves your issue, make it work, don't look for ways to take from the very existence that has infact afforded this entire town to play disc golf for close to 20 years.  Makes no sense to bite the hands that fed it for years before you started playing.  This is a legacy folks, it is not just about us, it is about the future.

OMG!  I love you Jack...may your future be as bright as the Moon tonight!!
(Closest it's been to earth in 15 years!!)

Minutes for the Newsletter = Chappy likes Olathe (Kind of means you like Kansas....hmmmm...Kansas Jayhawks....hhmmm...you like football Chappy?)

$.50 no, $10 entry with $1 Ace & $1 club = YES, Different Day....MMM...maybe not really, different hour probably

;D ;D ;D ;D

(I know you guys miss me at EC meetings!!)

This message was paid for by: "Slant for Olathe CC in 2015"
"I'm Slant, and I approved this message."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:01:52 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 01:09:09 PM »
Chappy, Jack, Thanks for the insight.   

Slant, we could ask Bob to change the start time to 9am  (Saturday Coffee/Baileys League at PC).   Then, when finished, go to DU.   Wait... we would still be trashed from previous evening...

Heck with computers today.   Sun is shining!  Lets play DG.  Anyone playing today around 2-3pm?  Leo is playing in Topeka!