Author Topic: Beginner's Glow Round  (Read 4250 times)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« on: July 19, 2005, 09:58:49 AM »
I just wanted to publicly say I had a freakin blast last night playing Glow golf!  That was my first expierence with it, and had no idea how much fun it would be.

Now the question is when are we going to do that again?  :D

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

kan_man

Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:50:53 PM »
so how does that work.  I know about the glow disc, but do you guys light up the pins some how?  And where did you guys play last night?

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 12:58:04 PM »
From everything I've heard the glow disc's dont work worth a crap, so we taped mini led's (they use them for fishing) to the top of our disc.  Or they also have these mini glow sticks that you tape using clear tape.

Baskets were illuminated with standard glow sticks.  Last night we played at Rosedale after the new players league.

I wish I could say this will be more of an occurance but I'm not sure when the next time we'll do it.

-Dennis

kan_man

Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »
Let me know if you guys play rosedale. thats not too far from me.  So is buying  a glo disc not worth it?  My roomates and I were all thinking of getting at least one to play at night down at Prarie Center.  What about the disc that you take a flash of? Those work?

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 01:11:12 PM »
There will be a glow league starting this fall at Water Works on Thursday evenings. League starts the week after summer leagues end and continues until the week before summer leagues begin. They tee off at 6:00pm.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

tjringer

How to play Glow Golf
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:18:14 PM »
First of all let me point out that glow discs suck.  What you want to do is buy LED Lights.  They are tiny electronic light sticks that can turn on and off and last for approximately 20 hours.  They can be seen quite clearly 400 feet away in the dark of night.  To attach them use a small piece of duct tape.  I suggest you tape them as close to the center of the top of your disc as possible.  Some people tape them to the bottom, but they are more easily seen from the top.  If you have a roller disc, tape it to the bottom since rollers usually land bottom up.

To find LED lights go to the fishing department of your local sports store.  They are reusable and I usually only have to buy 1 set per winter of 4-5.  Now, you might find that your disc is slightly less stable with the LED lights, but it's not that bad, and it's definately worth the ease of play that the LED light provides.  Sometimes wal-marts have them, but dicks usually always has them.  The RED ones are the ones you want, the other colors are not so good.

A side note for the Off Season Water Works Glow League is that it starts the week after normal Water Works league ends and plays through the season right up to the week before normal leagues again resume.  Tee Off is at 6:00pm, give or take a few minutes earlier and later in the year as the amount of light fluctuates.  It is also a random draw non divisional doubles event.  Meaning that all open and beginners are grouped together.  You could have Laron one week and then be stuck with a small arm like me the next.  But, in my opinion, it's the best league around.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 01:21:14 PM »
Quote from: "kan_man"
Let me know if you guys play rosedale. thats not too far from me.  So is buying  a glo disc not worth it?  My roomates and I were all thinking of getting at least one to play at night down at Prarie Center.  What about the disc that you take a flash of? Those work?

We play Rosedale in the New Players League (Free) every monday.  Start 6:00pm.

People like the Glo Disc's because they like that plastic, but not so much for night time golf.  You have to carry a Camera Flash to recharge and from what I've been told you have to recharge it quite frequently.

These are the preferred light LED's and I have to agree they light up your disc very well.  Plus since you already have Disc's these are cheaper than Glow plastic.  Just take the duct tape off after your finished the longer you leave it on the more residue it will leave behind.

I think Thursday's Glo at WW will be awesome!  

-Dennis

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 03:40:18 PM »
Does the WW glow leage cost? If so how much?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:09:07 PM »
I believe that it is $5-$6, plus Ted (runs a great league year round) generally has lights available.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

joeharr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: How to play Glow Golf
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 06:29:58 AM »
Quote from: "tjringer"
the Off Season Water Works Glow League  it's the best league around.

Probably what I miss most from our time spent in KC, I'd still love to see pics of throws with a super slow shutterspeed- that would be schweet

tjringer

So how is Florida anyways?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 08:19:49 AM »
Yeah, well you were always fun to golf with Joe!  I'm sure KC misses you too :P  How's it going in Florida eh?

As to the cost, it's $5.00 + $1.00 to be included in the ace fund.. LED Lights cost seperately.

joeharr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 01:02:02 PM »
we were done in FLA last turkeydayish...  
spent the winter in montanny- spam pic in winter league thread...
now we're in Lansing michigan, wife in residency, me mr mom
visited KC for graduation midmay, played WW & Cliff drive w/ doug & Ken crew
long hrs for the wife means I miss leagues here but playin lots of 1 day weekend tourneys in the state to make up for it
still hunting birdies, say hey to the swope doods.......

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
glow lights
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »
The glow lights mentioned are Nite Brite brand.  Some Wal Marts seem to be eternally out of them.  Galyan's has them, too.

So does Disc Golf World.

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 04:05:09 PM »
I hope that we can do it again, maybe after summer league ends we can have a glow league at rosey on Monday or Tuesdays? Just a thought.

ArchAngel

Beginner's Glow Round
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
that would be great... sounds like a blast