Author Topic: night in the ruts  (Read 7360 times)

paganscum

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
night in the ruts
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »
This is an attempt to explaine the deep ruts in number 1 fairway.

Friday when the temp aproached 60, Jeff S. and I decided to shoot a couple rounds at Lake Shore.
As we started the second round we noticed a white truck with bass boat attached.  What seemed out of place was the fact that the lake is frozen over.  Why the boat?
  Not being one to question we continued our round and were putting out on number three we noticed that now the truck and bass boat were stuck in the first fairway.  Apparantly the Einstein decided to pull forward and around instead of backing out of his parking space and proceeding on the gravel drive.  We watched in intrest as his girl friend backed her Jeep out in to the fairway to extract his stuck vehical.
They then proceed over to the other boat ramp by 13.
no longer entertained by the antics of the redneck games I contacted the course cordinator and explained what I had witnessed.  He was nice enough to bring out the people who write tickets and Bubba has been been givin a citation.  turns out he was from Bates City.

Call me a narc if you want, but we have a nice course going here and I cannot stand by and watch some yutz jack it up for us.

Fox
If it harm none,
do what you will.

dclabe

Re: night in the ruts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:44:04 PM »
Our goal should be to leave the park in as good or better condition than it was in when we arrived...

If you enjoy your course, do not hesitate to report destructive behavior (ie dumping trash, tearing up park property,etc).  Its a simple as calling 911....if possible get a license number.  I know that I've got too much time invested to watch some yokel tear the park up and do nothing.  By the way, the authorities arrived within 5-10 minutes of the call....Scott George came out and surveyed the damage and was very appreciative of the call.  Now the perp gets to pay for the damage versus the city.

In a familar refrain, the neighbors around the course, report that there is less undesirable activity since the disc golf course went in.  I've had positive feedback from all the neighbors (yes,even the ones who complained) since the redesign. The city of Pleasant Hill remains very committed to the Disc Golf course, and we have approval to add three new holes in the woods (adjacent to the north shelter). 

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Yep - If any of you don't play P Hill - you should rethink it. I mean we had monkeys howling, white wallabies wandering about, Zebras and Camels mingling, frozen goose decoys scattered about the lake (as well as my blue Surge that skated about 70 feet out on the ice next to hole 1 - let me know if the ice gets hard and you get it - only threw it 5 times before I lost it)  >:( And then if that all isn't entertainment enough - you get the added bonus of a redneck in a pickup with a bass boat attatched spinning and sliding around the course in the mud.... in the middle of winter no less. Man, can't wait to see what I see next time I play P Hill.

JS
"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".
-Wendell Berry-

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »
Wow, I like a clean fairway as much as the next guy, but getting the cops involved over it? I could see if the guy was out doing donuts or four-wheeling, but it sounds more like a lapse in judgement with no harm intended. It's the holiday season, and if the guy got a ticket it's probably the equivalent of a week's worth of groceries, or an electric bill, if not more.

Boy, I sure feel better knowing that this guy has to pay dearly for this horrible "crime"... ::)

dclabe

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
Insert Quote
Wow, I like a clean fairway as much as the next guy, but getting the cops involved over it? I could see if the guy was out doing donuts or four-wheeling, but it sounds more like a lapse in judgement with no harm intended. It's the holiday season, and if the guy got a ticket it's probably the equivalent of a week's worth of groceries, or an electric bill, if not more.

Boy, I sure feel better knowing that this guy has to pay dearly for this horrible "crime"...

With logic like this, we'd be lucky to have Parks that we would be able to enjoy......I'm sure the guy that ran over the basket at Cliff really was only having a little fun, so if we had witnessed it we shouldn't of called it in.....let the city or Club buy a new basket (its no big deal).

This wasn't a case of someone who pulled off the road a few feet and realized it was a problem.....there's close to 100 yards of ruts that anyone who uses the park will see for months.  This was a blatant disregard of public property.  All this person had to do was turn around using the road (just like if you were using the boat ramp), and we wouldn't of had a problem.

The City of Pleasant Hill is consistently working to improve the park (new playground, new sand volleyball court, regraveled the roads, requested funding for a bathhouse, and requested funding for Disc Golf course improvements).  The park is going to be used for the city's Fourth of July celebration (including fireworks), plus the course is currently scheduled to be utilized for Worlds's.  This is one of the best maintained courses/park in the KC area....it really is discouraging to see this kind of damage.

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »
I'm sure the guy that ran over the basket at Cliff really was only having a little fun, so if we had witnessed it we shouldn't of called it in.....let the city or Club buy a new basket (its no big deal).

The guy at Cliff was probably joy riding and doing donuts, Dan. Let's see; a $400 basket vs. (maybe) some fill dirt and a few pounds of grass seed...

Tell ya what-- I wasn't there, so I suppose I shouldn't have even opined on the matter. The way I read the account, though, suggests to me that there wasn't any real malice involved on the part of the "perp". Surely there were other options available before getting today's revenue-based law enforcement involved in the matter.

The amount of pride and work you guys put into PH is obvious to anyone who plays there. It's a beautiful course with a wonderful atmosphere. I understand you getting upset if anything negative happens out there, but calling the cops and having a ticket issued is excessive for accidental tire ruts, IMO. It's not like it keeps anyone from being able to play the game.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »
I think what he is saying is the guy went off roading and got stuck and then in a effort to get out he formed ruts.  So actually the going off roading is enough to warrent a ticket.  Thats like someone going on to any of our courses (no cars allowed) and tearing it up for whatever reason.  Next time the guy will stay on the road and not make bad decisions
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:43:04 PM »
this freakin guy drove a pickup with a bass boat in tow out into the middle of a soak and wet field in a city park.  if that doesn't warrant a ticket i don't know what could.

there's enough gravel road and parking area out there that there would never be a good reason to drive on the grass. 

Keizer

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
Whatever. Again, I wasn't there, so I'll just STFU about it.

As far as the abhorrent thought of people actually having to look at tire ruts *shudders at the very idea*:

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:06:49 PM »
Well, since I was one of the two guys there while it happened, I am a bit qualified to comment. I can tell you there was NO REASON for this guy to be driving his bass boat through the fairway. Now whether there was malice or not, hard to say. Stupidity for sure, he drove a really long way. Mike, you said
but it sounds more like a lapse in judgement with no harm intended

There are tons of "crimes" from involuntary manslaughter to when I do something stupid like drive too fast and get a ticket that don't have malice or evil intention at the root. I didn't "mean" to drive too fast, just had a lapse..... the law is replete with "sorry occifer I didn't know the gun was loaded" fines and penalties - really most traffic tickets written are for people who didn't actually intend to do harm, but broke the law anyway. So while you can't write someone a ticket for being stupid per se - as Will pointed out you should be able to just for doing something that silly!!  Who else would you say should pay for this guys bad judgement? The taxpayers? That seems like a worse idea to me. I don't think the guy driving the big new truck pulling a bass boat is going to starve from the weeks worth of groceries that it might cost him to fix the problem that he caused and hopefully that will teach him to use better judgement next time.

Just my 2 cents, Just the way I was raised I guess, but it seems to me like if I accidentally throw a baseball through your window.... I should pay for the new window.

JS
"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".
-Wendell Berry-

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 07:09:23 PM »
Your analogies are flawed because they deal with people actually getting hurt as well as permanent property damage to tangible items, etc. We're talking about dirt and grass at a public park here, man. Yes, it sucks that it happened, it was a dick move on the part of "Bubba", and no, people shouldn't just be able to drive through the grass whenever they want and tear it up.
But if it went down like it sounds like it went down when I read the first few posts, I think actually bringing the cops in is a dick move in and of itself. It sounds like the guy was on his way out and that there wouldn't have been any further damage done. I could see the guy getting a ticket if there was a cop there witnessing the act, but to actually call them in over it? Hell, why don't you get yourself a radar gun and clock the cars that are driving past the park as well? If they're speeding, don't they have disregards of their own? You and the PHPD could get yourselves a nice little racket going there... :D

BTW, Dan, if you are going to repair the damage to the fairway, please let me know. I'd love to come out and help.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
mike, it's all good.

bubba did something stupid and got a ticket for it.  happens every day.  we get your perspective, but apparently the city takes the upkeep of its parks seriously.  kudos to the p hill fuzz for at least coming out to do something about it.  it's not like a lot of our parks where cars have to explode or bodies have to be found to get someone out there.

in all honesty, since the gentleman involved was from bates city, technically he's not allowed to fish that lake anyway, i would think.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:33:09 PM by phisherman_77 »

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:19 PM »
they opened up fishing to missouri residents. 

why dont you open up legacy park.  i'm tired of your games sandbagger.  i know you just put the baskets away when you're done.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:23 PM »
it's nice to have the course to myself will ;)

if this happened at legacy, trust me, the parks dept would want to know and i assure you that said offender would get a ticket.

gtr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
That would be pretty sweet indeed - if the only time you could get busted for doing something wrong was if a cop was there "witnessing the act" -  ::) Good plan.

btw - As for analysis of my "flawed" analogies - I swear to you that during my speeding ticket no people were getting hurt and there was no permanent damage to tangible items. Honest.

:D

JS

PS - Do you know where I could get a radar gun?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:39:58 PM by gtr »
-Wendell Berry-