Author Topic: Trees down at Swope  (Read 2561 times)

Keizer

Trees down at Swope
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
Was out at Swope today, and there are a few trees that fell during the storm we had the other night. One of those trees appears to be the one tree that made #18  interesting. If you're standing on the tee, it's the big tree on the far side of the rock OB (the side closest to the pin), just to the left of the path. #2's basket narrowly missed being taken out by another large tree, and there is another downed tree near #4's basket, although not as large.

That sucks! :-[

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
Re: Trees down at Swope
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:06:57 PM »
Dan called me this weekend to inform me of this, and I got to get out there after getting back into town.  The biggest loss is the tree on #1/#18, since it's what forced you to throw a hyzer off the short pad.  Now all of the shots from here will be straight shots.  The tree on #2 sucks too, but only comes into play on the 2 longer pins.
The tree on #4 doesn't affect the hole as much, but does change the aesthetic of the hole.

I'm going to talk with the P&R guys tomorrow to see what kind of timetable we're looking at for cleanup.

lucky4ever247

• Am Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:38:19 AM »
I've heard a lot of talk about how swope used to have tons more trees. What does the p&r dept. say about getting new trees transplanted to replace the lost trees? Are they ok with it? When I first played swope it was still fairly ok tree wise. Now 2 years later the park has lost a ton of old growth trees. Are they diseased? Or is it just the weather. As much as I cuss when I hit em, I still prefer the challenge of a forced hyzer around a tree over a straight shot with nothing to add difficulty to a hole.
RELAX!!!   I do All my own stunts!!!!!

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »
Talked with P&R at lunch today.  They'll take care of the tree on #4 first, but due to the warm temps, they don't want to drive their trucks onto the course until the ground either dries up (probably not) or freezes again (more likely).  So the other 2 trees will be in play for a while.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »
Due to the rocky substrate that holds most of Swopes trees, they have limited root structure. Along with disease, pests and MOKAN weather (2 ice storms in 10 years) and old age the larger trees are taking a hit. Hell, we have had trees fall over on clear windless days. So if you hear creaking, be aware. Also, considering they are constantly being hit by all your  our crappy throws, it must take a toll somehow. 2 years ago about 30 diseased trees were taken out. They have planted some peripheral trees along 15/16 but these are more ornamental than shade. They are open to new plantings but this has to be approved. Of course their budget is supect, but if we get donations, with proper installation, they may allow it.  I have pics of the downed trees and am trying to figure out how to post them.

The days are getting longer.

Slimatiouos[/color]

[/img]
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
NO budget in the P&R to replace the trees, this has been brought up before. 

If you would like to donate a tree, and TAKE CARE OF IT INITIALLY, please let us know, we can orchestrate proper placement and type of trees that will do well there.

Swope and Rosedale have been the hardest hit with ice storms, and disease. 

Water Works trees are reaching the mature declination and they need to be replaced as well.  The committee for Water Works is aware of this, but the committee has not met in over a year.  Which makes me send them a note.  Thanks for making me think of it.

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • The Big C
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:01 PM »
When we played Swope yesterday morning the P&R folks were out there working on the downed trees.
In typical fashion there were no fewer than five dump trucks, loaded snow plows, sitting there with their engines running.
After about 30 minutes they began to shuffle their way over to the big tree on 18 (we suspected the arrival of the supervisor caused work to begin).  ;D

After about an hour of two guys operating chain saws and 5 standing around kicking the ground they all disappeared. Our guess was first lunch or second breakfast.  About 30 minutes later they returned and started working on the tree by #4, leaving #18 only partially completed. 

We departed a little after 11, not sure how far they got?

As mentioned before;
#2, no real change in the hole unless you throw a wicked hyzer and are playing from #3 fairway but the tree the fell never really came into play

#4, in the long position it might raise the ceiling but little impact to the hole.

#18, biggest change. With the loss of this tree the fairway is twice as wide and really makes the tee shot from the shot tee pad much, much easier.
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

slimneal

• Pro Poster
  • New bridge, new day
Re: Trees down at Swope 1/1/09
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
The tree for #2 is cleared.
The tree for #4 is cleared with trunk logs by the road.
The tree for #18 is cleared of limbs, trunk logs laying across path.

Sliminy
I throw a whippet with mucho mungo
But it turned over and coondogged a tree

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »
There's a tree that fell over the fence on #12, interfering with the pins that are along the fence.  I'll get in touch with P&R next week, and get that moved.

The Can tankerous A.N.G

• Pro Poster
  • Don't look now!
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »
Yeah, I played there Tuesday. It was pretty shocking how different certain holes are. All I know is the missing tree on Hole 4 made a big difference. I throw Hole 3 a little wide to the right, and without that tree's limbs to knock my disc down, it was able to smoke down the fairway.  ;D