Author Topic: Hole-to-hole navigation and ways to improve it  (Read 3257 times)

Keizer

Hole-to-hole navigation and ways to improve it
« on: December 31, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »
Here are a few items I would like to improve on in the Front 9 before Worlds. Most of it is pretty obvious, and deals mainly with safety issues as well as facilitating fluid movement from hole to hole without crossing fairways:

Hole 1: If the new pad is going to go where it has been planned, we need to build some small bridges down in the ravine that will span over the crevices there. A temporary bridge is there from the dumped lumber, but we really need something more permanent.

Hole 3: Create stairs and path that allows players to move from #3 to #4 without having to travel back down #3's fairway. Due to the road being right there, this will probably be quite a challenge. Not sure if it can be done, but I'd certainly like to look into it.

Hole 4-5: I'd like to get some gravel dumped on the east side of the road, near #4's pad, to help alleviate the muddy conditions there. The stairs going down on #4 are perfect-- no work needed there. However, the trail leading from #4's far placement to #5's tee pad could use some shoring up at the end toward #5's pad. The trail leading from #4's short pin to #5's pad is probably okay as long as it's not too muddy.

Hole 5: We need new stairs going up at least the top 2/3 of the hill. When I talked to Rick about this, he said "Could you imagine all those people trying to walk up that hill if it's muddy?" He is absolutely right, and that is one of the things I would like to see take top priority after the tee pads have been poured.

Hole 5-6: The little hill you walk up just before reaching #6's tee pad could use some small rock steps as well to help with muddy conditions. Probably not a huge deal, but I'd like to get it done if there is time to do so. THIS IS DONE, 1/3/09

Hole 6-7: Need to complete the stairs going from #6's pin up to the road. Also need something on the other side of the road to get players to #7's pad without them stepping in water or mud. (I'm thinking of maybe using rocks like they used at Swope to get across from #12 to #13.)

Hole 7-8: Clear out a trail directly beside the cliff wall that leads from #7's pin to #8's tee pad. This will allow players to get from #7 to #8 without having to walk back onto #7's fairway.

Well, that's it for now. If anyone else has any ideas, please, share them here. Hope to see everyone out at Cliff for the 1/2/09 workday.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:17:54 AM by Keizer »

Keizer

Re: Hole-to-hole navigation and ways to improve it
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »
Big thanks to David Owens for helping out with the rock stairs on #5-#6 this weekend. They look great!

Big Sky

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 05:20:24 PM »
Just something I noticed while playing cliff drive last weekend:

Hole 6 -

When looking directly at the basket from the dogleg fairway, there is a really nice area almost 45 degrees to the right of the current pin. Has there ever been consideration for a longer placement there?

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
Yes, it's been discussed, and is on the to-do list for the future. That would be one tough hole!

Probably not something that'll happen before Worlds unless someone besides Jack or myself volunteers to clear it out... ;)

Big Sky

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
What would the best process be for disposing of the brush and what not? You know, as far as getting it out of the park...

Keizer

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »
Take it out and pile it next to the road. P&R will come by and pick it up that way. If you really want to do this, cool, just don't cut any trees down. You can rip out all the honeysuckle bushes you want, though! ;D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
I do not plan on any changes to 6 before the worlds, other than the completion of the stairs out.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
We're just daydreaming, Jack...

We do need to schedule another work day, though, and soon. It'd be nice if we could get enough people to where we can split into two groups and tackle a couple of the larger items.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
Yeah, I want to reconfigure 13, 14, 15 ASAP, maybe on Friday or Saturday.  I am off tomorrow, but have a few meetings, and will need to stir the chili....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
Tracy is all about poking the snake with a stick....

Keizer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:34:54 AM »
It's all good, we can take it. See, I know all the reasons why Cliff gets bagged on so much, and they're all quite understandable. I mean, for example, I can understand if the Pleasant Hill crowd feels uncomfortable near all those bright lights, tall buildings, and people of color. I can understand if the Prairie Center crowd doesn't want to walk the rough terrain and risk spilling their lattes or scuffing their penny loafers. I understand how difficult it must be for some of the other CCs to come to grip with the fact that once Cliff Driver has concrete tee pads, their courses will be rendered obsolete due to inferior character and lack of shot versatility. At that point, they will no longer have anything to b%tch and whine about when it comes to Cliff, and they will instead have to worry about making their courses more exciting to play, and that will be a task that will make them wish they only had tee pads to worry about. ;D ;)

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »
Kiezer you underestimate us.   There is always the neighborhood!
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Keizer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace