Author Topic: Shawnee Mission Park Event  (Read 7360 times)

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Shawnee Mission Park Event
« on: July 22, 2005, 11:37:25 AM »
Shawnee Mission Park Disc Golf Course is now gaining momentum. The KCFDC has been working onsite with Johnson County Parks and Rec. to implement a course layout for an event on Saturday August 13th.  

A workday has been scheduled for Sunday August 7th to clear brush and dead limbs from several holes. The parks department will be mowing fairways and removing debris collected by KCFDC volunteers the week between the workday and event. The workday will start at 9 a.m. on the 7th in order to beat the heat.

We will meet in the parking lot by the two softball fields east of the lake on Barkley Circle. In other words if you're coming in the 79th & Renner entrance, take a left, then stay right at the next fork and the parking lot will be on your left.

The event on the 13th will start at 10:30 a.m. This is your chance to take the first run of the coming course. This event is not a formal tournament, though we will play KCFDC league format.

tjringer

I've never been to this park...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
Can I have some vague coordinates I can plug into mapquest to get an idea of where this park is?  I have no idea where it is.   Sounds like you're working your tail off out there.. nice work.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 01:57:47 PM »
TJ,

7900 Rener Road, in Shawnee KS

Or
Click here

I'll be there for the work day Dirk!  Any tools we'll need.

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

ArchAngel

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:18:28 PM »
sounds good

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 03:32:01 PM »
If there were someone out there on some morning during the week I would be able to put in a few hours. I can't wait for a new course on the KS side.

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 03:26:22 PM »
This Sunday is the workday at SM Park. Seems like we have a good line on tools. Brush hog, several weedeaters. If you want to bring a weed eater or rakes  that would be great. We don't want any chainsaws out this time, as I have clear instructions from the park manager what can be trimmed. Also bring gloves, I believe House is bringing some Ivy block as well. Pants would be a good idea as the brush is thick in a few areas

I hope to see many of the people I have been working along side with at Cliff D and BV.  So far I have commitments from the usual suspects, Jack, Penney, House, I will be calling several others, hope to see you our there too Dennis and Maddog.

I will be glad to play the course without baskets with anyone after we finish up the workday.

I will be there by 9am and plan to get it going by 9:30. Any ?'s, give me a call 816-678-4468

Thanks,
Dirk

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »
Wow, yet another course. I wonder how many people are going to HELP? Are you avilable to help? If so please come out, this is a beutiful park and will be a great addition to the KC Disc Golf scene. So who else is going to be there?
Mike Penney

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 04:12:47 PM »
My Calendar has been marked off for this for over a month!  I'm stoked to see the layout, and where the actual course is going to be!

-Dennis

ferret

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 05:37:39 PM »
I should be able to make it out there.  Where in SMP are we meeting?

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 09:18:30 PM »
Quote from: "ferret"
I should be able to make it out there.  Where in SMP are we meeting?

Quote from: "Shawnee"

We will meet in the parking lot by the two softball fields east of the lake on Barkley Circle. In other words if you're coming in the 79th & Renner entrance, take a left, then stay right at the next fork and the parking lot will be on your left.

:D

ferret

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 06:29:09 AM »
lol, thanks :)

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 02:56:12 PM »
If anyone has a basket they can offer to bring next weekend that would be of great help. Just give me a ring or let me know here.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »
Quote from: "Shawnee"
If anyone has a basket they can offer to bring next weekend that would be of great help. Just give me a ring or let me know here.

Will Skillshots be ok?  I was actually thinking about bringing mine Sunday also.

-Dennis

Dirk

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 09:54:40 AM »
Want to thank all those that came out for the workday at SM Park. I think we got a lot of good work done for  some crititcal spots. We are now just getting an idea of the possiblilities on this course.

Thanks to:
Bryan Guthrie
Tom Butler
Chad Harvey
Dennis
Jack
House
Cali Bob
Penney
Maddog Mann
Dirk

We got a  lot accomplished yesterday, pretty much all of what we needed done for holes two and three and five's path. We cleared out more than  anticipated on hole 3, on the corner. The undergrowth was really thick with vines sticky brush and limbs growing sideways along with several dead or dying tree trunks.

Then we feasted on Minsky's and refreshments. The club takes care of it's volunteers. Next time I hope to see more people who will be calling this course home coming out!

I look forward to seeing everyone out at the event this coming Saturday. Be there by 10, we'll start at 10:30 am.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2005, 10:32:19 AM »
You guys are awesome!  Thanks for your hard work.  These quality courses are appreciated by many.