Author Topic: Open Letter from Lee's Summit Parks and Rec to the KCFDC membership  (Read 1832 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Here it is guys.  Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns and I can take them directly to the city if need be.  I applaud the city for being honest and wanting to continue to share information. 

Brian P - your humble Legacy Park CC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FROM   Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation
TO:      KCFDC
RE:      Lee’s Summit Legacy Park Disc Golf Course Development Report

First, we would like to thank all of the volunteers that have contributed their time and input into the design and construction of our course over the past several months.  Your efforts have significantly contributed to an improved course layout.  Your club’s commitment to expanding the sport is exemplary.

As you know, several different locations have been reviewed for our first course and several KCFDC members have been involved in that review process.  A decision was made in 2008 to locate the course at Legacy Park.  This proved to be an excellent location due to the open setting, more cost effective construction opportunities, ease of access and the availability of parking, restrooms and shelters.  In addition, the location of the parks central maintenance facility nearby offers a level of passive security to this area of the park.

During the planning stages of the course, we solicited input from a group of players who had contacted us regarding the new course or were residents of Lee’s Summit who were active in the sport.  From the beginning, we tried to maintain a working size to the group that could represent the interests of KCFDC but also work with LSPR staff in accomplishing the goals of the project.  Our landscape architect, who had the lead for this project, worked with the player group to develop the best design to match our goals for the course.

The following outlines the goals of LSPR in the development of a disc golf course at Legacy:

•   Provide a recreational amenity for the community that advances the sport and is enjoyable for the beginner or average player but also provide some challenge for the skilled player.  It has not been our intent to design or build a “tournament” level facility.
•   Provide a setting where players can safely walk the course without the risk of injury.  While the site at Legacy does have its scenic areas in both wooded areas and open prairie, it also has diverse terrain which can put walkers at risk of injury if care is not taken in eliminating these hazards.
•   Provide a course with a variety of hole topography, layout, and distance with flexibility in the way it can be setup in order to maintain player interest.

After LSPR staff finalized a preliminary layout and installed concrete tee pads, we had a walk-through of the layout with a player group.  We had most of the basket locations staked and some members of the group played the layout.  General comments on the layout were positive.  Specific comments focused on mowing of fairways.  Some of the basket locations were relocated or an additional basket location added.  It was a very productive meeting.  LSPR staff went to work on expanding the fairway mowing to make the course more playable for the average player and reduce the potential of lost discs, etc.  It was decided to do a more extensive mowing initially to identify and repair any walking hazards.  The course will have a “low maintenance” appearance with native grass areas but also maintain playability with wider fairway corridors.

The walk-through was followed up with a work day to install basket sleeves at the designated locations.  Several local players and KCFDC members assisted our staff with the work.  At that time, it was identified by some members of the group that some minor adjustments would need to be made on several of the holes (13-15).  Concern revolved around poor drainage and lack of hole difficulty in these areas.  These holes were re-routed and work is currently underway to correct drainage issues.
LSPR staff is continuing to put the finishing touches on the course including layout of bench and trash pads, low water crossing, and tee signs.  We hope to have the work completed by the end of February 2009.  We feel that the finishing touches will address most, if not all, of the feedback from the player groups.  Weather permitting, we anticipate the course to open in the spring of 2009 and we will keep your club advised as the exact date and any events associated with the opening.

While our course has not been specifically designed for tournament level play, we believe you will find it to be a course that is equal to or better than others in the area and has met or exceeded our goal from the outset of the project.

Play on the course will be free of charge and open during park hours.  Any organized play such as tournaments or leagues will require special permits from Parks and Recreation.  Initially these will be done on a case by case basis through our Park Operations and Park Recreation division.

If you have any additional questions or comments, feel free to contact Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation staff at:

Gary Welty, Superintendent of Park Construction   816.966.1532
   Steve Casey, Assistant Superintendent of       816.969.1507
          Park Planning and Development

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: Open Letter from Lee's Summit Parks and Rec to the KCFDC membership
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:26:05 PM »
Good deal! Thanks B.P. :)  Is Gary Welty any relation to David Welty that lives in AZ (or CA, I'm not sure)? He's almost a Grand Master, I believe.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:36:21 AM »
doug, again, they're not going to put any baskets out until the course is ready to go.  that's how LS P&R operates. 

go and throw in a field or something to cure your jones.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:08:49 AM »
Play on the course will be free of charge and open during park hours.  Any organized play such as tournaments or leagues will require special permits from Parks and Recreation.  Initially these will be done on a case by case basis through our Park Operations and Park Recreation division.

[/quote]

Special permits?  ::)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:17:45 AM »
doug, again, they're not going to put any baskets out until the course is ready to go.  that's how LS P&R operates. 

ur a butthead and i mean that seriously too...

you can call me names all you want, that won't change the way the city operates.

you do realize that people played disc golf for years without those crazy wire contraptions right?

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:27 AM »

i've already talked with them about leagues/tournaments.  shouldn't be a problem.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »

i've already talked with them about leagues/tournaments.  shouldn't be a problem.

Lots of parks departments do this.  Columbia Parks and Rec requires the Columbia club to get one for the Mid-America Open every year....We had to get one through the Unified Government for Worlds purposes so we could use Rosedale and Wyco (they charged us nothing).  It's not a big deal, and it helps parks departments plan in advance.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »

Doug u need to relax......people other than you and Brian read this, and this is exactly how the LSPR has said they would do it.  This course has been a work in progress for over 10 years now....I do not know how many times I have said this, but WAIT, when its done, its done.

It really shows poorly on your behalf for that posting IMHO or NSHO.....

There are 14 courses to play on, go hit one of those while you wait.  Be thankful that many people have planned and worked with these guys over the years, and all those other courses that you are most appreciative I am sure to have in your home town.

Go visit any other city in the country and you will not find a disc golf scene thriving as it is here, so if the city wants to wait until the end of February in the middle of winter to work on getting the course ready as THEY SEE FIT (it is their land), lets let em!

Now back to more important things....ICE BOWL, and

BLACK

&

GOLD
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

DrRyan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

Doug u need to relax......people other than you and Brian read this, and this is exactly how the LSPR has said they would do it.  This course has been a work in progress for over 10 years now....I do not know how many times I have said this, but WAIT, when its done, its done.

It really shows poorly on your behalf for that posting IMHO or NSHO.....

There are 14 courses to play on, go hit one of those while you wait.  Be thankful that many people have planned and worked with these guys over the years, and all those other courses that you are most appreciative I am sure to have in your home town.

Go visit any other city in the country and you will not find a disc golf scene thriving as it is here, so if the city wants to wait until the end of February in the middle of winter to work on getting the course ready as THEY SEE FIT (it is their land), lets let em!

Now back to more important things....ICE BOWL, and

BLACK

&

GOLD

Come to Phoenix, you certainly will not see what you all have in KC(and what I once had and miss playing).  Also, if you are coming, make sure to bring your ability to throw it a long damn way and enjoy playing wide open courses with minimal trees. 
Put down your shiny new speedy driver and learn to throw the Roc!

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
Great job de Palma! Keep it up.
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
On Sunday mornings we like to drive around and take  scenic roads and we somehow ended up near Legacy.  i am excited to get out there when it opens.   the course looks so much different now that the eight foot tall praire grass has been taken out.  I wonder if they have found any plastic becuase one of those days when we were helping we must of lost 5-10 discs in just a few minutes.  i am very impressed with all the small bridges, benches, and other improvements they have made. 

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 03:38:45 PM »
yep john, it's getting very close.

signs should be in the city's possession any day now.  i'm not sure if it will open immediately after they are installed, but that's the plan for now.