Author Topic: Qualifying  (Read 1477 times)

coops

Qualifying
« on: January 29, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »
Here is a rather technical question which I have been unable to find an answer to as of yet and so I will just ask here...
I know that one has to qualify for worlds, but I've heard tell that local players get automatic bids. Is that in any way true? I am not nor have I ever been a PDGA member (though that is coming soon) and have not competed in any PDGA events yet (once again, I will be playing at least the Wide Open this year). I remember last year when the list of players invited to participate was announced that it was fairly early in the calendar year, which made me think invitation would necessarily have to be based on the previous years tournaments. So, here is the question: Is there any possibility that I could play in worlds? Could I qualify this year or, since I am a local player, do I even need to qualify? I scoured both the worlds website and the PDGA website and found not even an hint at an answer. Any help is appreciated.
Cooper Arnold

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Qualifying
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »
You will not be able to register until after the people that get invited have registered.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:22:23 AM »
Cooper,

The list of invitees normally comes out around Febraury 15.  We will post the local invitees here, and the entire list will be posted at pdga.com and kcworlds.com.  You are correct, Worlds invites for this year are based on PDGA points earned in 2008.  However, if you don't earn an invite to Worlds, DON'T PANIC!  You can still enter the tournament.  PDGA opens the tournament up to all 2009 dues-paid PDGA members around May 1.  SO!  Come down to Disc Golf World, pay your PDGA dues ($50), and the club gets to $5.00 of that if you register through the club.  You also would have to get your entry fee in as soon as possible after the May 1 deadline to guarantee a spot in the field.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

coops

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »
Awesome. Thanks Chappy. I'm currently working on my wife to loosen the purse-strings and allow me to pay up for the year. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it soon.

CHAS.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:32:32 PM »
I know something about tight purse strings. the only way I made work was my PDGA and KCFDC  membership was my Christmas present.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:24:01 PM »
Maybe the previous statements made in this thread is the reason I have never married. Plenty of opportunity was there to screw up my freedom.
Steven Disc Glover

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:28:34 PM »
I was also wondering when we may be able to register?
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

tgod85

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
and when/where/ and how will those who didn't qualify be able to register?

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:17 AM »
Invited players will receive their entry forms and invitation package in their email (assuming PDGA has your correct email address) around March 16.  Online registration should be available at that time for invited players.

For those of you that will not receive an invite, registration will open up around May 15 for all current PDGA members, as long as there's still room in the tournament.  We expect that the tournament will NOT fill up by this date, it never has in the past.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
I was getting ready to post, and it looks like John summed it up fine...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 09:38:53 AM »
I was getting ready to post, and it looks like John summed it up fine...

I've answered about 50 emails like this already....I have the answer down pat. :)

MoLewis

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 07:57:37 AM »
After this years IceBowl turnout, and the fact that, in this economy, free activities like DG get more popular, I predict a record turnout.   Could be a BIG year for Disc Golf.