Author Topic: Glow Round  (Read 5125 times)

kan_man

Glow Round
« on: July 25, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
My buddies and I played a round last night around 9:30 pm. It was my first time playing at night, and the lights you all suggested worked great. I had no problem finding my disc.  It was only 3 of us last night, but we plan on doing this on Sunday nights regularly.  Its nothing really organized, but come on out if you want.  I had some glow necklaces at my house that I used to light up the baskets. they did alright.  What do you guys usually use to light up the baskets?

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 01:49:05 PM »
Larger Glow Sticks for the baskets.  either string them to the basket somehow or use clear packing tape to attach them to the center pole.
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

joeharr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 08:45:55 PM »
with the exception of some jack-o-laterns at Halloween, I never remember the baskets lit up at all for the WW league... the lights from the city lit up a few on top and sometimes the moon helped, other than that you gotta "feel" it- or hope someone sinks a putt before you

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:59:48 PM »
light up the baskets?  Karma...

there are some pole hole designs that have a solar powered light incorporated into the design. Des Moines Water Works has them, but I've never seen them lit.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

tjringer

The Zen of Glow Golf
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 08:34:30 AM »
Lighting your baskets is weak!  You must play without lights on the baskets, only lights on your discs!  In fact, at WW Glow League it's against the rules to light the baskets.  The only way to light a basket is if someone on your card makes it into the basket before you and is kind enough to leave their disc.

Don't light your baskets!  It's more fun!

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 09:39:04 AM »
I didn't know that about the WW glow league, are flashlights illegal to spot the basket before you putt?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 10:02:01 AM »
Don't use a flashlight at WW to light the basket. That is a no-no.

Hey Kan-man, it's kewl you guys are playin some glow. Can you post when the next time your gonna play will be? I'd also like to ask that if you put the glow rings on the baskets, please remove them when your finished, as they are litter. Thanks.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Glow Round
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 11:14:55 AM »
Hey it's your glow round, if you guys want to lite the baskets then do so. You guys make up the rules, however you want to do it. Don't let people who aren't going to play make descions and tell you how you have to play. On the other hand Tom is right anything you leave on the basket's is litter.
Mike Penney

kan_man

Glow Round
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 11:15:03 AM »
sorry, i did leave a few.  I didn't know that lighting up the basket was a no-no. I guess it would be cheaper without lighting up the baskets. So what time do you usually start. As the sunsets, or when its completely dark?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 02:26:48 PM »
Actually, the my favorite league in town, WW glow, starts at 6:00 on Thursday nights. The glow season begins after the time change in the fall and runs til the time change in the spring.

Several of us in Olathe are considering running a glow league at Prairie center this coming fall. We are considering Monday nights. This is just a preliminary idea right now.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 03:13:12 PM »
Quote from: "Tom"

Several of us in Olathe are considering running a glow league at Prairie center this coming fall. We are considering Monday nights. This is just a preliminary idea right now.

That same thought was kicked around last night at Rosedale too for Monday nights.  Heck we might be able to have Glow 2 or 3 nights a week through the Fall and Winter!

tjringer

Awesome!!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 08:09:36 AM »
Penny - Yes, using a flashlight to spot baskets is illegal at WW Glow League.  I would also like to point out that using a flash light at all is detrimental to your night vision and the night vision of those on your card.  Everytime you use light you see less and less.  Playing the entire round in darkness is the way to go.  Somtimes though, if there's enough snow, a bright moon and some cloud cover it doesn't matter anyways because the whole park is awash with light.

Now that Glow is catching on, good luck to those prospective leagues.  May you find oodles of success.  Be sure to check the policies of the parks you are in though.  Some parks aren't open after dark.  Water Works has an actual time of closure regardless of the darkness, so it works out for us.  If you find out that your park actually has a sunset closing time or something along that line, get a little group of well dressed well spoken individuals to plead your case to the local authority.

Good luck, glad to see glow becoming so popular.

kan_man

Glow Round
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 11:53:18 AM »
Quote from: "Tom"

If so, I will be there every monday night. Then head to the bar for some Monday Nigh Football!!!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 12:26:21 PM »
I'd say Monday night sounds good also, just keep the normal league night for Olathe going....not to mention Fred P. Otts has it's taco night that night....and most likely beer specials for Monday night football.

Although Dan Forster did mention thier taco's are a quarter cheaper and they have a very large projection screen last time I was in there.

Bob's band is also playing there in the next couple weeks I believe....like Aug 13th or something???  Is that right Bob?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

firerec

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 04:50:08 PM »
They do make red filters for you flash lights and those do not mess with your night sight. We used one the other night to help with walking the course at rosey, it is a lot cheaper then a broken ankle.