Author Topic: Glow Round  (Read 4921 times)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Glow Round
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:36 AM »
First of all it's PennEy, and second where did you see me saying anything about using a flash light ? What I was saying is these guys are getting together to start thier own glow league, they should be allowed to make up thier own rules and do it thier way. After all they are the ones that will be playing, unless you are going to go out and play too, then let them be. They aren't talking about WW league.So it really isn't even an issue. While Ted runs a fine Glow league, it dosn't mean that ALL other leagues have to be just like it. Get creative and have fun guys! I think it's great that you are using this forum to start something NEW! Firerec has a very good point, personally I'd rather be safe seeing, then crippled because the use of a flashlight is weak or illegal.
Mike Penney

kan_man

Glow Round
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
Not trying to start an argument, but what is "weak" about lighting up baskets?   I'm just a rookie when it comes to glow golf, but it seems more logical to see where the baskets are.   I figure it is the same as day golf but with lights.  You can see where the baskets are in the day, why not at night?   But I'll give it a try next time I play.  Thanks for all the feedback.

joeharr

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Glow Round
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 12:11:33 PM »
While its played at night its not often completely blackout middle-of-nowhere look-at-all-the-stars dark. Your eyes get used to it enough to usually see the basket. Lighting the targets isn't right or wrong, I can't imagine they'd be bright enough to "blind" a thrower but rather its just easier to not have to walk the course ahead of time, when I played glow at our Ft Myers Fla glowleague, this task of lighting the baskets would have taken the better part of 40min to get back around to the car, and taping up the discs takes time enough.
Everybody pretty much knows where the baskets are and you sometimes putt to "an area" but thats part of it, I've seen some of the longest, sickest putts performed by folks who would later admit they put it somewhere by memory or feel rather than by sight and that is schweet.

kan_man

Glow Round
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 12:19:50 PM »
yeah, I hear ya.  we played a round before sunset, and lit up the baskets as we played through. then we played a second round and all the baskets were lit up.  I will probably be playing Sunday night.  I'll see how I like the no lit up basket.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: The Zen of Glow Golf
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 02:57:37 PM »
Quote from: "tjringer"
Lighting your baskets is weak!  You must play without lights on the baskets, only lights on your discs!  In fact, at WW Glow League it's against the rules to light the baskets.  The only way to light a basket is if someone on your card makes it into the basket before you and is kind enough to leave their disc.

Don't light your baskets!  It's more fun!

I think it's great you guys are starting up your own thing. You guys play how you want to. It doesn't have to be JUST like another league that is going on in town. Be different, Be creative.....just have fun!
Mike Penney

tjringer

Mistake...
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 07:10:59 AM »
Ahh yes, Penny.. I thought it was you that inquired specifically about using lights at WW to light baskets but it was DJ Hawk.  My apologies.  Additionally, I didn't tell anybody how to play their league, I only provided some advice and some friendly banter.

Now as for you Penny, I hope they put out an APB on your sense of humor because it's gone missing in a bad way.  Life's not one big conspiracy theory.

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Awesome!!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 09:55:48 AM »
Penny - Yes, using a flashlight to spot baskets is illegal at WW Glow League.  I would also like to point out that using a flash light at all is detrimental to your night vision and the night vision of those on your card.  Everytime you use light you see less and less.  Playing the entire round in darkness is the way to go.  Somtimes though, if there's enough snow, a bright moon and some cloud cover it doesn't matter anyways because the whole park is awash with light.

Now that Glow is catching on, good luck to those prospective leagues.  May you find oodles of success.  Be sure to check the policies of the parks you are in though.  Some parks aren't open after dark.  Water Works has an actual time of closure regardless of the darkness, so it works out for us.  If you find out that your park actually has a sunset closing time or something along that line, get a little group of well dressed well spoken individuals to plead your case to the local authority.

Good luck, glad to see glow becoming so popular.

cj, sorry i miss where the humor is in what you're saying there, but if you are trying to be humorous might i suggest  using  :D  , :)  , or maybe  :lol:  then one might be able to sense the humor out.
Mike Penney

tjringer

to make stupid smiley faces or not..
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »
Penni - I don't need silly smiley faces cluttering up my bad grammar and typos.

tjringer

Weakness...
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2005, 02:29:29 PM »
Quote from: "kan_man"
Not trying to start an argument, but what is "weak" about lighting up baskets?   I'm just a rookie when it comes to glow golf, but it seems more logical to see where the baskets are.

Well weak is just an opinion!  It's weak because.. you're playing in the dark for a reason : the challenge of it.  Why light it up?

Also, someone, not the person I quoted, (maybe joe harr), said that they didn't think that lighting baskets takes away from night vision.  Well, no that doesn't, until you're right on it, then it does.  But what I was really talking about were like lanterns and flashlights.  Those screw up everybody in the nearby vicinity's night vision.

kan_man

Re: Weakness...
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2005, 03:50:07 PM »
Well weak is just an opinion!  It's weak because.. you're playing in the dark for a reason : the challenge of it.  Why light it up?

yeah, but I play in the dark because its different. As in late night golfin and having a few. Not really for a challenge.  I don't think throwing at a basket, that you don't even know if its there, sounds fun. It may be "challenging" but not fun. I could just close my eyes everytime I throw my disc during the day, if I really wanted a challenge. Its also pretty cool seeing the disc flying at night.  This is all just my opinion, and I understand where your coming from.

dclabe

Glow Round
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 06:36:46 PM »
I was thinkin that mayb everone should wear them lil glow nEcklacess so you wouldn't walk inter each otter two.... :oops:

probabbly shud havem on ur bAg two.... :idea:

tjringer

hilarious...
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 09:10:36 PM »
now that's funny dclabe :p  get some beeping proximity sensors too :P