Author Topic: RE: Memorial to the murdered woman (Denise Williams)  (Read 668 times)

Keizer

RE: Memorial to the murdered woman (Denise Williams)
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »
I forgot to mention this earlier. Yesterday, there was a trash crew at Cliff cleaning up litter. The supervisor was over by the wooden memorial cross by Hole #1, and seemed rather upset that the memorial had been cut up and destroyed over the weekend. I don't know who did it, but if it was one of our guys who were out there helping with the forms this weekend, it was probably a sh1tty thing to do. In talking with this P&R supervisor, I learned that the memorial had been placed there by the deceased woman's father, and that he and this supervisor had replaced it after it being removed on more than one occasion.

I don't like the idea of that memorial, as it brings about negative vibes/perception and all that, but it is special to somebody. Perhaps we should not be so judgmental in our views of it. I don't know, maybe we can plant a tree nearby to appease the woman's family and loved ones. We need to come up with some sort of compromise as it appears the memorial isn't going anywhere and will likely be replaced again.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: RE: Memorial to the murdered woman (Denise Williams)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »
I don't think it was taken down on Sunday. Sad stuff.  :(

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
Keizer, Let me know who the supervisor was that "authorized this" as that is not the case and in fact it had been asked to be removed by the director of the park on many instances. 

What I would like to do in lieu of this is to work with the people that knew Denise and plant a tree in the area with a plaque acknowledging their support.  Some type of memento that does not look like a cut up wooden cross.

I would not want the club to buy this, but would be willing to work with the family at coming up with some type of idea to make this happen.

Let me reiterate though the P&R at no time authorizes any type of display like this in any parks, and are encouraged to have it removed as quickly as possible. 

This is the plan that I came up with after speaking with my ex brother inlaw whose sister passed in the desert about 15 years ago and every year their family makes a pilgrimage to the spot, so lets make it something that works and give life to us all.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Keizer

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »
Well, I guess I can't say for certain that he was a "supervisor", per se, but he did seem to be in charge of the cleanup crew (he was driving them around and all that). Older black guy, with a larger build. I'm sure he only had the best of intentions, FWIW.