Author Topic: The Mexico Throw - Triples Benefit Tournament Sat April 11  (Read 7120 times)

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
The Mexico Throw - Triples Benefit Tournament Sat April 11
« on: March 04, 2009, 11:27:44 AM »
Hey everyone, As more Tournaments keep getting posted I figured I should post this one soon.

Many of you took part in the Snow Man Open on Jan 1st. This tournament will be pretty much the same. The only difference is this one is a Fundraiser. I don't know a whole lot of churches that have ever sponsored a disc golf tournament, but maybe we'll be the first. I am a youth pastor in Olathe and our Youth group is taking a Mission Trip to Mexico this summer so we are trying to raise some money. I thought what better way than to play some disc golf. Here are the details

Saturday April 11 - 10:00 am
Prairie Center Park in Olathe
2 Rounds - break for lunch. Hot dogs and hamburgers available for sale.
$10 per person - Teams of 3 - Best Disc (yes you can form your own team) If you don't have a team, just come and join up with some other single players.
There will be some Cash Payout (based on attendance) as well as different prizes, and CTP competition
We will pay out 2 divisions divided by final scores. So we'll split the scores in half and top teams of each win. So even if you aren't great you could still finish in the money.

Let me know if you have any questions or feel like I am missing some info. Its for a great cause. These teens going on the mission trip work really hard. They will actually build a house for a family in the week they are there. As well as lots of other important work.
Spread the Word!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:56:01 PM by gapuryear »
PDGA 39363

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
Re: The Mexico Throw - Triples Benefit Tournament Sat April 11
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:06 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll make it but it sounds great!

Don't forget to take discs and a basket on your Mission  ;D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 11:51:34 AM »
FYI - Weekend leagues are only during the winter.
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:13:09 PM »
Is it one round?
Steven Disc Glover

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
Didn't know weekend leagues were only during the winter. So, I may be rethinking the time and length. We will probably move it up and make it at least a round and a half or two. I'll let you know soon. Hope you can all make it!
PDGA 39363

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »
If you do it 2 rounds you can split them between rounds.
Steven Disc Glover

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »
Make it two rounds - try Best Shot for the first (which will play faster) and Best Disc for the second.

Best Shot: each team member throws and they each throw again from the most favorable shot.  :D
Best Disc: each team member plays the entire hole for themselves, and the team score becomes the score of the "best disc" or player.  ;D
If you're really adventurous you could play some "Worst Shot" where the opposing team selects your worst-favorable shot. Warning: friends can be lost in this format  ;)

Splitting the field into various "flights" (not just two) based on average groupings by score the first round would give more teams a chance to win something - of course you will need a few more prizes.

~CD~
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »
Alternating shot is also fun.  When running Swope league at the end of last year, we played random doubles in a 6-6-6 format.

6 - alt shot
6 - best disc
6 - best shot

Then you could do the 2nd round of best shot, since that tends to produce the lowest scores.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »
Best shot is actually longer not shorter CD.....your brain is shrinking....Best disc in your scenario would be quicker....alternate shot is the fastes way to play.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
hmm... you know, since we rarely ACTUALLY play these different formats I tend to forget. Not that I'm OLD or anything  8) 

I suppose in Best Disc, once your teammates see that they may only tie your score you can pick up and move on. So, speed-of-play rules could say those CLOSEST to the hole play first. Oh, the pressure!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:46:26 PM by CD »
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

porkchop

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 03:32:23 PM »
Best shot is actually longer not shorter CD.....your brain is shrinking....Best disc in your scenario would be quicker....alternate shot is the fastes way to play.
We had our Ice Bowl in Belle Plaine, Iowa last weekend and I ran it 3 rounds of 12 - 1st round Best Score, 2nd round Alternate Shot, and 3rd round Best Shot.

Best Score took the longest. We had 6'ems on all but 2 holes and with 6 people essentially playing singles on every hole, the round took a while. Alternate shot is the fastest as you only have 3 players throwing at a given time. Best Shot was quicker than Best score, but not by much.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
Alternate shot is funner and more fair if both players get to drive and then they pick the shot they want.

porkchop

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »
Alternate shot is funner and more fair if both players get to drive and then they pick the shot they want.
Than that's not Alternate Shot; that would be best shot. Alternate shot is were you, like it says, alternate shots. Player A throws than Player B throws from Player A's shot, than Player B throws from Player A's shot. If player A holes out, Player B tees off on the next hole, and vice-versa. It's a fun format that can really separate the competition and also speeds play if daylight is going to be an issue.

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
Thanks for all the input. My only question is, since we are doing 3 man teams. How would the alternating shot work out? Just straight up same order no matter the hole. So if you get a 3 the same guy drives the next hole? Or would you alternate drives as well?
PDGA 39363

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
True alternate shot is where one player drives half the holes.  This format puts just as much pressure on the am as the pro and better teams would have more advantage than normal doubles.  If you are playing like a league event with an ace fund, a popular thing to do is let both players drive.  Whoever's drive is picked, the other player putts.  My favorite doubles format is "switch" doubles.  After the drive, partners play the hole out singles from the partner's lie.  Best score is taken.  Might be too complicated for a tourney format.