Author Topic: KC Worlds GPS file  (Read 1321 times)

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
KC Worlds GPS file
« on: March 11, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
Background:
I travel almost 100% for my job and therefore one of the perks that I get to enjoy is playing a little Disc Golf in places I probably would not get to enjoy otherwise (i.e. Saskatchewan and the UK). Thus, I have purchased a Garmin Personal Travel assistant (Garmin NUVI 680 pictured above) which is used for navigation and turn by turn directions to various destinations. Garmin (as well as other GPSr assistants) utilize what are known as customizable Points of Interest or POI files for short. These files can be *.csv (comma separated value), *.gpx or other files types per the particular units proprietary formats – examples of these user defined files are: museums, gas stations that sell diesel fuel, and civil war battlefields (several communities on the web create these for free). The primary objective of these files are to group a person’s particular interest into one file in order to expedite the recognition of the points of interest based on the current location of the user and the proximity to those POIs. These units are not only able to route the user turn by turn to the destination; but in some of the more advanced units they can enable Bluetooth hands free dialing of phone numbers contained within the file or photos and rich descriptions of the destinations. 

Once these files are loaded into the units the POIs are then marked (push pins) on the maps with a bitmap (*.bmp icon) graphic in order to see the location (very similar to the Google earth files which can be one of the outputs form this effort). A ‘push pin’ *.bmp (Figure 1: Push Pin Icon) has already been created at the POI factory. Thus when a user uploads the POI file to their GPS they will have ‘push pins’ that look like a pole hole where the course is located. As part of this discussion the KC World committee may wish to use its own artists and icons.

Disc golf POI files already exist and are being used by the general public as well as the Disc golf community. This is where I think having one specifically built for the PDGA worlds would be a good idea. These files are very easy to create and maintain. So that is not the hard part..the hard part is the general input to the file..Courses, Hotels, Restaurants, Bars and Clubs etc..

I have talked to Rick about this file and I am willing to be the POC for this effort..again this is very simple to create and the outputs are many (such as a Goggle earth file that can be uploaded to the web site). I will leave it up to you all what, and who gets included in the file. Obviously I think the sponsors (hotels and restaurants would need to be included), but imagine if you just finished up your morning round and needed a place to eat lunch on your way to the next course…if this file were pre-loaded with the closest or the sponsoring restaurants etc that player would have that info at hand.

I already have an Excel Template created for input and the leg work can be done from your home with Google earth or with your own Garmin writing down coordinates etc. So before we get into specifics I’d like to hear your thoughts on this…BTW I already have most of the courses already in my personal file..

Examples of the points of interest for the POI Worlds file:
1.   Courses (Parking area and not the first tee) and courses that players coming from out of state will pass by on thier way into KC that they might want to play?
2.   Restaurants in and around the course as well as your favorite eateries in the area (I’m thinking BBQ will be a main theme here..LOL)
3.   Hotels
4.   Venues where various happenings will occur
5.   Vendors – Disc Golf World, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops etc…
6.   Bars and Night life
7.   Tourist attractions (Great wolf Lodge, Water parks etc) These would be for the traveling family while the golfers are golfing..

I look forward to your thoughts and comments..and thank you for your time!

BTW I have an offical proposal into the PDGA for the entire course directory!

I will be creating a test Google earth file when I get back home later this week and would be happy to post it for all to see what a Google earth file would look like!

Scott Holter #3560
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 11:35:23 AM by Mile High Golfer »
Kiss the Sky - Aspen Mountain - Losing your Discs never felt this good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottshots1/

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KC Worlds GPS file
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »
Can a player carry one of these personal GPS devices to determin distance to the pin when playing?    Is that legal?

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
Nope.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »
No and No as Tracy found the rule.

These particular files I would like to create are for driving a car directions not discs....

Although I have heard of some courses that have this info mappped out for handhelp GPSs like those that are used for Geochaching

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
So not much chatter on this...but I still think it's a good idea...for the most part it can be the start of the tour guide...So the info we collect for the file can also be used in the programs or the programs..

I'd love to hear more input..

Please think about it...if for nothing else where to eat in and around you favorite courses...if you can get me a name and an address I will look up the coordinates..and upload the file..I have spenbt the better part of the last month in the PAC North west and the file I built worked really well in finding the courses and retailers as well as local suggestions for eating!!

Then at some point I can create a KML file for Google earth for everyone to view...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 09:28:49 AM by Mile High Golfer »

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
Chappy, I like the idea of at least creating a file share of directions and maps of surrounding area of each course and adding eating establishments.

Maybe be creative and add nightlife activities around the Metro.
Steven Disc Glover

coops

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of information you want with this, but Oklahoma Joe's is a must for BBQ eating, and it is really close to rosedale park. address on on here http://www.oklahomajoesbbq.com/about/index.htm

Mile High Golfer

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Shots
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:29 AM »
Info needed

So here is the format and info I'd like..

Name of establishment
Address
Phone #
Coordinates (from Google Earth or some other program)
a review or some other note that why it's in this file..."Great Ribs on Monday nights...."

Also I'd love to post an intial file for all to look at on Google earth so if the coordinates are wrong or the course coordinator wants people to park in a different location...then we can adjust...

Here is a quick KML file (Google earth)...in order to view please upload Google earth and then double click on the file..it should load automajically.

If you double click on the push pins you can see the info behind the actual loactaion

Let me know what you think...

Also here is the Excel or CSV file with the info as we need to update and capture

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:29:17 AM by Mile High Golfer »