Author Topic: Blue Springs Young Park  (Read 2331 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Blue Springs Young Park
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:16:11 PM »
Things are moving along rather well at the new course going in next to BS South HS.  Last week, i spent my spring break working along side the parks and rec guys.  The parks and rec have brought in a machine called a deforester cutter.  It is an amazing machine that turns trees, cedars etc into wood chips in just a few seconds.  They will have the machine for at least two weeks minimum or longer, until no longer needed.  Due to the small amount of land available, the course will be similiar to the DU but longer.  There are some really unique holes, good elevation, tunnel shots, dog legs, turnovers, hyzers,placment shots, and ace runs.  The course will be a technical control type of course.  In addtion, there are three water shots.  There will be two tee pads per hole, and two pin locations for now.  I am very pleased with the on going communication between the club and the parks and rec.  The original tee pad design idea has been scrapped and the pads will be poured on site by the HS students in a votech class.  The pads will hopefully be getting formed up in early April and with concrete following soon after.  Pads should be in before school is out.  HOWEVER, the baskets will not be in until late in the Summer or early Fall.  I will keep you all updated.  Anyone that lives out that way that is interested in doing some minor tree trimming/work, please get a hold of me. 

John

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Springs Young Park
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:43:57 PM »
Keep on plugging John.  Thansk foryour hard work!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:59:11 PM »
Keep on plugging John.  Thanks for your hard work!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:06:29 AM »
Disc Golf FEVER!!!

EVERYBODY HAS IT!!!!!

AND THERE'S NO CURE!!!!!
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
Here is the latest report on Blue Springs-
Deforester machine will be kept for one more week April 6-9

-Everything else is considering we have ideal weather conditions for a skid steer to be able to get into the park.  They do not have a skid with tracks so work will halt if it is rainy.
-The timeline that i have discussed with the parks and rec is to have the tee pads being dug out  April    13-17
-BSSHS Votech students will hopefully be on site working on forming pads by April 14th.  This will give them a month to form the pads and pour them. 
-NEXT WEEKEND or NEXT FRIDAY(EASTER WEEKEND) I will be marking pad locations.  If you are interested in coming out please do so.  Feel free to contact me at 739 9361 if you would like to help/offer insight.  I have not figure out exactly where all the pads will be, especially some of the rec pads.  There are supposed to be two pads per hole.
-I have been out almost daily marking additional trees to have taken out.  The course is looking great.  Really evolving.

John

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:10:21 PM »
Latest report on Young Park

We had a meeting yesterday with all parties.  The school district had their reps and votech teacher and the parks and rec had all their folks.  We needed to get everyone in one room to discuss issues and present ideas.  Main thing discussed was the tee pad  installation work.  I feel that we all are on the same page and tee pads will begin to be dug and leveled starting on Monday.  The deforester machine will be kept around for another week, April 13-17.  Most trees have been removed and it will be used to chip up areas that still have a lot of large debris remaining.  Plus a crew will be coming through with chain saws to clean up trees and raise limbs.  The goal is to have 3-6 tees dug out per day and then have the HS students in there framing them up in the middle of next week. 

The parks and rec are very interested in having similiar signage as the other KC courses.  They want to get some more info about what KCFDC is doing for signs. 

I will be out to the park on Friday, April 10 to mark the final location of some tees.  If you want to come out, let me know.

call me if interested  816 739 9361

John

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »
great work john.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »
Sweet!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:24:17 PM »
They want to get some more info about what KCFDC is doing for signs. 

That's gonna be one problem...
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:00:54 AM »
I noticed when they were putting new signs up for where Wyco is when they were redoing State Avenue they did not include the disc golf course. I wonder if I can pull some strings for Wyandotte and Rosedale. I think we need signs with the name of the course off the main road before every entrance of evey course.
Steven Disc Glover

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
They want to get some more info about what KCFDC is doing for signs. 

That's gonna be one problem...
This is not a problem.  What do they want to know?

Tracy and Dick have been working on new signs for a lot of the courses, and they're going to look pretty darn good.  I'm sure they could be persuaded to work something up for Young Park as well.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:32:15 AM »
I do understand the subject matter was about tee signage but I wanted to expand the issue for input before I proceed.
Steven Disc Glover

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »

My point, Tracy, was that there is no standard here for tee signage.  WW and Rosie are fairly well done, but that's about it.  Others come and go, depending on what tournament is using the course.

That's one thing I like about some of the St Louis courses (well, maybe the ONLY thing on some of them!  ;) ), while not every course has signs, at least the ones that are there are consistent in style.  Accuracy..well, that's lacking too.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 07:50:17 PM »
That's the point that folks seem to be missing here Steve, and Steve.....  Tracy and Dick are working on and planning to have in place by Worlds, standardized signage on several of the KC area courses. It isn't practical for them to do all courses and I'm not sure exactly which courses they are for sure planning to have standardized but that's the goal, starting with WyCo.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
Yes. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...