Author Topic: Blue Springs Young Park  (Read 2277 times)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Springs Young Park
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »
I thought they were talking about tee signs.
I was going to mention how St. Louis has signs not only where the entrance was but also at key intersections on the backside of Jefferson's Barracks.
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
i am not sure what all is being done with the sign issue, however i saw a sign that Jack had for a meeting in Blue Springs.  I am aware that Dick is working on something.  I am assuming that the information will be used in making new signs for several courses?  I think the city would just like to have universal signage.  I would like to get Young park included with this group.  They have the funds so that is not an issue.  The course would not be using an money allocated to the courses for WORLDS. 

Here is the latest course update
Four teepads were dug out and leveled yesterday.  Four to five more pads should be dug out today.  The high school students are on site today forming up the pads.  Might be pouring concrete tomorrow.  Definately going to be some concrete pouring next week.  Courses is looking great.  i can not wait to get out every day and see the progress. 

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
John, thanks for all the work you are doing to (literally) get this one in the ground! One comment - please don't brush the pads too smoothly... slippery when wet...

Do you want to plan on helping with Camp WIN again this year?
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3
2013: 3, 40, 10, 148, 32, 19, 84, 184, 15, 1, 118
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35:56 PM »
i will call him today after work to let him know about the finish.  just found out over lunch they they will begin pouring all next week.  I am hoping that one of those days, Lance can get out next week and some what supervise on a pad. 

Not sure about helping you this summer.  i would like to , however ,this summer is going to be hit and miss.  i am teaching summer school to help pay for my wedding so i might not be able to. 

mansizioux

• Am Poster
  • JV Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
I would like to get some feedback from our disc golf community, especially the veterans, on the type of finish for the pads.  When we did the pads at Legacy they were advised to drag astro-turf across the wet concrete to create a rough surface, at the time I didn't think that was a good idea. Are the pads at Legacy too slick? I would like some honest opinions, I'm sure this won't be a problem.
You can"t always do what's right, but you can always do what's left.

Keizer

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
I'm not a "veteran", but the finish on the pads at Blue Valley is superb. 

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »
According to several disc golf related web sites, a stiff broom finish, perpendicular to the basket is recommended.

The astro-turf basically does the same thing, as long as it is the stiff stuff and not the softer kind.

Dan  8)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »
John, thanks for all the work you are doing to (literally) get this one in the ground! One comment - please don't brush the pads too smoothly... slippery when wet...

Do you want to plan on helping with Camp WIN again this year?

CD,
What is the date for camp WIN. I may be available.
Steven Disc Glover

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:21 AM »
Looks like the girls age 9-12 will be June 8-11 at the OP Jewish Community Center on 115th - we only have one day though. I'll keep everyone posted.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3
2013: 3, 40, 10, 148, 32, 19, 84, 184, 15, 1, 118
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:01 AM »
any new info on the progress at Young Park?  John?

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
some pads have been poured.  last week when we had a bunch of rain that slowed em down.  i am going out on Sat day morning if you want to go.  will not be doing much besides trying to figure out a tee pad for 17 and maybe 7.  i did not make it out last week so not sure what has gotten done. just to busy with my own stuff at home i.e. mowing.   got a call from the P&R to get a couple pads remarked with flags after they went in and leveled up the ground.

you should meet up with me and we can walk it.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »
maybe next weekend for me.  two tournaments this weekend and i'm starting a new job on monday morning.  ugh.  real life.  i'd really like to see the progress though.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 12:38:01 PM »
The course is coming along well and most of the tee pads are in.   Due to lack of available space, putting the pads in early is not an issue.  You do not have an abundance of room with options.  The course will not be ready untill late summer or early Fall.  They have dedicated three employees on site until  the projects gets completed.  However, there is much work still to be done.  They are moving lots of dirt and are trying to get the land smoothed out in order for it to be mowable and for drainage concerns.  Then the next step will be to disc or till up all the land.  Then they will drop seed sometime in the late late summer early fall.  In the meantime, they are building a second pond.  Be patient.  I ran into some guys who were told that it was playable.  Baskets will not be in for three, four, five months. 

Their parks  dept has been superb to work with.  The course is looking great. 

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
thanks for the update John.  that's great news.

Keizer

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »
Keep up the good work, John! And I know you've been quite busy lately, but now that school is out I hope to see you out at Cliff sometime soon. Been a while, man!