Author Topic: Non Disc Golf rleated_ Conficker virus  (Read 1305 times)

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Non Disc Golf rleated_ Conficker virus
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:56:04 PM »
It may turn to to be nothing, could be a big darn deal. Read more here:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/132464
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Non Disc Golf rleated_ Conficker virus
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:35 AM »
Just another reason to be a Mac user.

The main reason there are not many Mac viri is that Apple has a very small share of the market.  Computer hackers and miscreants can simply affect more computers by focusing on Windows machines.  Mac OS Version X does have a more secure UNIX foundation, making it less susceptible to attacks, but this probably just means no one's really bothered to do it since screwing around with Windows machines is so easy, and a Mac virus would affect a relatively small number of computers.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 12:15:50 PM »
nerd  ;)
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »
MAC's SUCK!

Anything Apple makes sucks...including I-pods.... it's like buying Nike shoes...are they really that much better?  No...you're just paying for the name brand.

Buy a ZUNE!

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shat. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from MICROSOFT.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:51:23 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
You're funny... what kind of GOLF CART should I buy  ??? 

I suppose the majority of folks here don't know (unless they're your Facebook Friend) that you crashed your golf cart and broke your leg. Dude, get well soon  :'(

Wait a minute  :o  Today IS April first...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
You're funny... what kind of GOLF CART should I buy  ??? 

I suppose the majority of folks here don't know (unless they're your Facebook Friend) that you crashed your golf cart and broke your leg. Dude, get well soon  :'(

Wait a minute  :o  Today IS April first...

CD.... you interested in any ocean front property in Arizona?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

CD

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
... only if your wife ran off, the truck broke down, AND the dog died (in the golf cart mishap)  >:(

Call on my broker - his name is Bernie... Hell, nevermind, he MADOFF with all the money I didn't have in the first place...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:

Keizer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
MAC's SUCK!

Sheeeeeeeit... I did the PC thing all my life, and saw more than my fair share of crashes from the epic failure that is DOS/Windows. Having to keep up with the latest spyware/firewall, millions of pop-up ads, the system slowing down over time, and I am through with that BS. Bought an iMac a couple years ago, and this thing is just awesome. Still runs just as well as it did out of the box. In fact, all this iMac ever does it run exactly the way it's supposed to and with the greatest of ease. (Save the occasional hidden attachment in Dick's email.)
If you're into certain applications where there might be compatibility issues (like some business software and intense PC gaming), you should probably stick with a PC. But if all you do is the typical home applications like photos, net surfing, etc., there is nothing better than a Mac.

BTW, I've had my 30GB iPod just as long as the iMac, and it's awesome too. Heard lots of good things about the Zune players as well. Methinks the mp3 player is a relatively simple device and probably hard to screw up.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »
macs have their place.

PCs have their place.

let's not get into a slapfight over computing platforms.

i don't have an issue with macs, other than the proprietary hardware and the fact that they're harder than heck to work on.  they stuff too much crap into too small of a space.

i use PCs because I can build them myself for a good price.

i don't pay anything for anti-virus protection, just use free AVG and firefox with some script blocking (thanks firefox/Tracy!).

lastly, all the anti-Windows rants hold little water anymore, as I can't crash XP if i tried.  and trust me, it's my job to try. (though vista is a piece of crap)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
I am on my 3rd Ipod in two years.  They are not the best piece of machinery but I do like the fact that I can take it into the apple store and just get a new one.  The first one I had was a 30gig .  It lasted 1.5 years and then had issues until it finally decided to not work anymore.  I miss those Led Zeppelin B-sides too.   Though they quit making THAT model they gave me a price compatible version.  I got 80 gigs.  Nice little upgrade.  Though my entire computer doesn't have 80 gig of info yet.   Anyway that one lasted a month and died like my old one.  NOW.  THIS one is a few months old and I don't have problems with it.   So I guess what I'm saying is...   

nothing really
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:25:49 PM »
nerd  ;)

NERDS!!!

All you Mac users trying to prove your point on why you THINK your product is better just proves CD's first comment!

Oh...and by the way Tracy...when you look like an Ethiopian, shoes DO tend to last longer.  I challenge ALL shoe manufacturers to produce a shoe made for the manly man....that being someone weighing over 200 lbs.  I go through about 3-4 pair of shoes each golf season, NO MATTER what brand I buy, so why buy expensive crap?
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Big Sky

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
New Balance Gortex - great durability, comfortable, and fairly water-proof. Very happy with mine.

OpenOffice - I was introduced to this by a good friend. It works great, and I highly reccomend it.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
perhaps they've changed in the last gen or so, but in my hardware-tech experience, Macs just aren't nearly as easy to work on.

For instance, having to yank out 3/4 of the guts of a machine just to get to the logic board.   That's what I used to have to do when I would work on Macs at work.  Though I was no big fan of Dell machines in general, I did hardware work on a ton of those also and every component was easily replacable with no other part pulling needed.

Shoot, all notebook and laptop computers are a b%tch to work on.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 02:57:04 PM »
Anyway, how many MS OS users aren't reading this now 'cause they're conficker.c infected?  Oh wait, they can't answer because their nerdiness has been denied them by the combination of MS security holes, self stupidity and Hack cleverness.

I don't think Conficker.c did nearly as much damage as anyone thought either.  At Sprint, it's been quiet so far today, and we're all PC, at least 99.9% anyway.

I know that I'm not too worried about it, though I am probably a little more careful as far as computer usage habits go.

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »
what kind of GOLF CART should I buy  ??? 

Club Car Gas

I have busted up one I'll sell you.    Still covered with Andy's blood!