Author Topic: Total, total newbie....Where to start  (Read 1941 times)

TeamTJ

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Total, total newbie....Where to start
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
I played "Frisbee Golf" in a gym class in elementary school about 23+ years ago...but nothing since.

I'd like to try playing again, with the hopes that it would give my kids and I something to do together that we'd enjoy.

However, I don't even know where to start.  I have a frisbee (perhaps not the ideal tool, but it's a start) but don't know what else to do.

William Yeates is the closest course to my house, but do I just go there and play? Is it like a golf course where I need a reservation? How do I know what Par is?

Forgive my ignorance, but like I said, I'm a total newbie...

Thanks!

Morgan

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Total, total newbie....Where to start
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
I'm sure you will get a lot of advice from a lot of different people.  Here is my $10 worth of information:

William Yates is a perfect place to start.  The designer John Thiess, I believe,  envisioned the course for just that, a family atmosphere where you can enjoy the outdoors with kids.  I would suggest going down to Disc Golf World with them one Saturday and pick out a simple MID RANGE/ALL ROUND disc. It gives you an opportunity to talk to local golfers and your kids can pick out their fav color.  If you don't like the social thing, check out all the great DISC GOLF websites online.  As far as first time discs, I prefer and suggest the Innova ROC.  It's a great ALL IN ONE disc.  And perfect for William Yates.    Anyway, what ever you do, have fun.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:53:26 PM »
I know that i have used a lot of youtube videos to learn the right form and technique. Just watching the pros, and there are also several instructional videos. Some better than others...
If I got a nickel for every time that I aced at least I'd have a nickel!

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
but do I just go there and play? Yes

Is it like a golf course where I need a reservation? No

How do I know what Par is? Depending on the course most people just play par three on every hole once they get more experience. Start off shooting for threes at William Yates and just see how you do. Par is relative. As you start out just watch for improvement.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »
When throwing a golf disc compared to a Frisbee. Try to throw as flat as possible. Try keeping the throwing hand at shoulder height on the backstroke if throwing conventional. That will help alleviate getting the nose up and turning sharp. Keep the disc flat with your wrist on the realease.
Steven Disc Glover

bbman

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
Morgan,

I would be happy to play at Yates with you sometime to show you the ropes. I am by no means the greatest player but I do enjoy the sport.

I have played Yates many times and actually helped John put in most of the Tee boxes.

I have plenty of discs that you can use to try and figure out what works for you.

I can play Tuesday night or Thursday night if your interested. My 10 year old son loves playing at Yates.

Let me know if you want to play.

Brad
Rosedale Down Under CC 2010

TeamTJ

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I have 4 kids (8, 10, 15 & 16) and am not sure they all will like this sport.  Since I don't have a ton of free money, I went out and only bought 2 discs, http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/wolf.html, that can at least give me some idea of 1) how well I like this and 2) if they are even interested.  If they are, we can get more, but if they aren't, then I saved some money!

I had hoped to be able to get out tonight or this weekend to try William Yeates, but not sure the weather will cooperate or that my schedule has not already been filled by my wife.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to giving this a go and hopefully meeting some other players on the course (and hopefully they will at least hide their laughter when they see me playing!)

Thanks again!

TomKC

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »
I'm a newbie too. I just joined a local Meetup group called KC Metro Golf Meetup (http://www.meetup.com/KC-Metro-Disc-Golf-Meetup-Group/).

Rand the organizer is great. First round he shared tips and was extremely patient as my throws might have been off just a little bit (we play Water Works which is extremely hilly).

You should come check it out.

-Tom